Newbie with tendonitis!

kateloli

Newbie with tendonitis!

Post by kateloli »

Hi I just started cycling 4 weeks ago having not been on a bike in about 20 years. My asthma is so much better already and I love speeding to work on the clear roads in the morning and am really keen to keep going and get better and faster.
I've had really bad tendonitis in both legs which has just this week started to settle a little which is great but I won't be able to cycle at all next week (family holiday) and I'm worried when I get back after a week of no cycling the tendonitis will be back to square 1.
Can anyone please recommend what I can do on holiday to try to ward it off? Maybe jogging or stretches? I can't go through that first week again I thought my knees were going to explode and I'm worried that I'll make excuses to myself and stop cycling altogether as I am naturally very lazy. I have felt so proud of myself these past couple of weeks so really don't want to let myself down.
My GP previously told me to just power through it for a few weeks and the tendonitis would go on its own but I've been (against his advce) lathering myself in ibuprofen gel which is not really recommended for asthmatics so I'd rather not rely on it and get back to that point.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks!!
Kate
Psamathe

Re: Newbie with tendonitis!

Post by Psamathe »

Are you absolutely sure it is tendonitis ? There are a lot of other conditions that can cause knee problems. For example, I suffer from knee pain caused by either VMO weakness (causing kneecap tracking problems) or something to do with rough cartilage under the knee cap. I suspect what I do for my issues would not help with tendonitis (might cause other problems).

Also is you saddle height correct as I am told an incorrect saddle height can cause knee pain.

Before you seek cures you need to be sure about the cause of real problem.

Many people regard ibuprofen gels as a waste of time. I asked my physo the other day and she said that they can work for some and not others, same with the Diclofenac based gels (which I think are better) - though I cannot and an in no position to recommend any medication, particularly where you have other medical consitions.

Ian
kateloli

Post by kateloli »

Hi thanks so much for replying :)
My GP said it was tendonitis but he didn't do much to check he just listened to me describing the pain. He specifically told me not to use any painkillers but I gave in as I had to keep stopping which was annoying. I'm now thinking maybe they didn't do anything and my GP was right I just had to power through the pain!
That's why I'm worried about not cycling for a week. Do you think if I try to run every day that would help?
thanks again, much appreciated
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kateloli wrote:Hi thanks so much for replying :)
My GP said it was tendonitis but he didn't do much to check he just listened to me describing the pain. He specifically told me not to use any painkillers but I gave in as I had to keep stopping which was annoying. I'm now thinking maybe they didn't do anything and my GP was right I just had to power through the pain!
That's why I'm worried about not cycling for a week. Do you think if I try to run every day that would help?

I cannot question the judgement f you GP (as I have no idea about your GP, no idea about your condition, etc.). My own GP is pretty useless when is comes to musculoskeletal stuff (and he's the best GP in the practice).

As to what may or may not help, I have no idea. I'm not a medic, no medical training, only personal experience of conditions that I've experienced and in the past I've self-diagnosed over the internet (more to be prepared for a dr/physio visit) and I've been totally wrong as the the problem.

Ian
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Tendinitis is often an over use ailment. However you've just started so may be not could be a bike fit issue. But before jumping to expensive solutions, did you over do things in an initial wave of exuberance?

Whatever, given it's greater weight bearing and impact, I'd think carefully before trying jogging. If you have access to a pool swimming could be a good idea until condition clears.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tendonitis almost always has an underlying cause, such as overuse, arthritis, prior injury, etc.

If it is tendonitis, it doesn't make much sense that your GP told you not to use painkillers. He may tell you to avoid ibuprofen because of your asthma, but tendonitis usually includes some swelling of the tendons, and something like paracetamol can reduce the swelling, as well as the pain.

Physiotherapy is often effective against tendonitis, and a physiotherapist can alos probably help you with some exercise to have prevent recurrence whilst you are off the bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

kateloli wrote:Hi thanks so much for replying :)

Are you sure that's what your GP meant? If he told you not to use any painkillers, I suspect what he meant was that pain is your body's way of telling you it's time to STOP before you cause permanent damage.

I write as someone who eventually had to give up the sport I loved the most - running - because of chronic achilles tendon problems, partly self-inflicted by "powering through the pain" when I should have been resting them. Once the scar tissue builds up it's difficult to recover full function. (Coincidentally I studied the mechanics of tendons as part of my degree course many years ago, so I should definitely have known better.)

Having said that, cycling should not be a major aggravator of tendinitis; running would normally be much worse. There are times when my tendons have been so bad I could barely walk, but I could still get on a bike and ride. My gut feel is that you might be putting your feet too far back on the pedals, causing your heel to flex downwards every time you push. (This would be unusual for a newbie, though - most people start with their feet too far forwards.) But you need to have an expert - or at least an experienced cyclist - look at your position on the bike.

For recovery from the the immediate problem, I suggest consulting a good sports physiotherapist, whose training will have covered soft tissue injuries in far more detail than most GPs get. In my (sadly extensive) experience I found that GPs were of little use, sports podiatrists ranged from slightly helpful to eccentrics* to outright charlatans, but physios always gave practical help and advice.

But in the meantime, please don't cause yourself long-term injuries by overdoing it. As someone else said, try swimming as a recovery exercise. (Ugh. I can't believe I just recommended swimming.)

* I've never forgotten the one whose instructions included holding a straight-leg achilles tendon stretch for fifteen MINUTES. Per leg. Twice a day. Every day. And that was before moving on to the other stretches.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I now have tendonitis. Can't think what brought it on: bike set up all as should be,and has been for 25+ years. I don't go crackers on my bike or mileages so its origins remain a mystery.

I'd be cautious in your approach to all interventions. I have surveyed Achilles strengthening/stretching/rehabilitative regimes: they can often be at odds with one another. So can the physios. Try a few interventions in a moderated way. Some anti inflammatories? But with asthma? Most times things work themselves out with or without intervention(well,from what you describe anyways)

You sound younger than me. I,alas,have other complications that may impede,compound, rehabilitation.

I wouldn't go for the 'burn' technique anyways. That way you could really damage/impair your recovery. The most boring way may be RICE: rest,ice,compression,elevation. For a 'young' guy it's harder than working out!

Patience. Time. Moderation. Fortune!

Swimming flexes the foot and surrounds. No impact and not as repetitive as cycling rotation. Good build up for stamina and cardio workout. Tho I am not taking my own advice!

Best wishes
kateloli

Post by kateloli »

Thank you all very much I really appreciate all the advice and will take it all on board :)
Kate
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AndyK wrote:...
Are you sure that's what your GP meant? If he told you not to use any painkillers, I suspect what he meant was that pain is your body's way of telling you it's time to STOP before you cause permanent damage.

... partly self-inflicted by "powering through the pain" when I should have been resting them. Once the scar tissue builds up it's difficult to recover full function. (Coincidentally I studied the mechanics of tendons as part of my degree course many years ago, so I should definitely have known better.)

Every ailment I have gone to a physiotherapist for (which does NOT include tendonitis) they give me exercises to do and have always said "stop if it hurts".

Ian
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I believe the OP may have what we used to call "Easter knees". This is pushing a big gear when your legs aren't used to it. It comes from racing where people would start racing at Easter using big gears that they've not used before. The solution is to pedal a smaller gear and to slow down. Riding for about a thousand miles on a smaller gear helps to strengthen your tendons before putting them under greater strain by going faster/ riding in a higher gear. It's why we were always taught to learn to pedal smoothly and quickly using small gears.

Powering through it will make it worse. Learn to pedal before you push big gears.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Si

Post by Si »

On reading the OP my first thoughts were in line with those of TrevA above - make sure that you are not pushing too big a gear. I was alarmed by the phrase "power through it" which might be interpreted as trying to put as much power as possible through the pedals, when what you really need to do is spin a smaller, lighter gear....although, of course, you might just have meant "keep on riding".

I'd also be wary of your knees getting cold - when I started I had knee pain and one of the things that fixed it was wearing longs so my knees weren't getting cold in the breeze.

And of course - get someone who knows what they are doing to check your saddle height is OK. If your saddle is too low it can make your knees hurt.
kateloli

Post by kateloli »

Thank you this great advice as I just found out my leg should be straight on the pedal at its lowest and my leg is bent so I'll need to change that. Sorry yes 'power through it' meant battle through the pain not pedal powerfully. I'm only averaging 8-9 miles an hour so not very powerful!
Thanks so much for all the very helpful comments - I will adjust the seat and avoid ibuprofen and start stretching! What a great forum :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

kateloli wrote:Thank you this great advice as I just found out my leg should be straight on the pedal at its lowest and my leg is bent so I'll need to change that. Sorry yes 'power through it' meant battle through the pain not pedal powerfully. I'm only averaging 8-9 miles an hour so not very powerful!
Thanks so much for all the very helpful comments - I will adjust the seat and avoid ibuprofen and start stretching! What a great forum :D

Not straight... it should be like this . . . .

Go here http://wheel-easy.org.uk/ride-calendar.html....download "bike set up"
Last edited by Graham on 3 Aug 2016, 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarification
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tendonitis most common in over 50's, according to my GP, over use.

After years of doing over exertion with no side effects, that's cycling every where at 20 mph, ten tors x 4, walking over 45 miles In a day on the Pennines with camping gear, running marathons, up and down 1:4 hills, doing orienteering in forrests, circuit training, odd triathlon, anything else thrown in, sub aqua etc etc.

I thought I was invincible at 23 but you find out the hard way when you wake up in intensive care :?

Did not cycle much for ten years and came back about 7 years ago.

Tendonitis came on in both Achilles and I was worried, but was given exercises by a NHS physiotherapist which I do daily.

I would see your GP and ask for a referral (ist appointment) to a phisio, I was taking ibuprofen for many years but no more since doing exercises for my back........thats daily too.

Your feet and knees are linked together to work in tandem (best) via your calfs and hams which are biarticular (spans two joints) not independently (even in running and walking), so flexible ankles keep the knees pain free (along with a good set up)

Doing daily exercise on the bike or whatever is no solution to exercises that isolate the weak link.

Your not quoting age but I gather over middle age?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.