Men's euphemism & saddle issues

Tangled Metal

Men's euphemism & saddle issues

Post by Tangled Metal »

Having read with curiosity some men, and 2 women, talk about sensitive saddle issues I thought I'd ask about similarly sensitive male saddle issues.

What effects do saddles have on male genitalia and their function? As someone who never really noticed issues with saddles I've never bothered looking into saddle options. However a discussion with friends (some old others young) it raised the question I have about effects of saddles on male parts.

Now I remember reading once about issues related to pressure on.a certain nerve and blood supply. Can't remember the details but I believe they invented gaps in the sake for that.

I'm curious about repeated pressure down there and whether it could have any effect on function such as erectile, ability to conceive, urinary issues, etc.

Does angle of the saddle, your reach, your position (sit up and beg to aero), etc. affect the risk of damage - if there is any of course.

BTW my only pain issues with saddles were related to a few overly speedy remounts that resulted in one of those strains where the pain goes up into your abdomen and lasts a few minutes. Being more careful stopped this.
Paulatic

Re: Men's euphemism & saddle issues

Post by Paulatic »

.I'm curious about repeated pressure down there and whether it could have any effect on function such as erectile, ability to conceive, urinary issues, etc.

Does angle of the saddle, your reach, your position (sit up and beg to aero), etc. affect the risk of damage - if there is any of course.

I doubt it was repeated pressure but after riding a 300 or 400k ride I was more interested in sleep than erectile function when I got home. I've 2 children and never had a urinary issue.

I do think angle of saddle is paramount to comfort. A couple of degree out and I sense it. If you are reaching too far and putting pressure on your willy and bits I think you soon realise.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slick

Post by Slick »

Maybe not, if you listen to the female urologist that I have to see now and again. I'm not going to pretend that I fully understand what she tried to explain to me, but the long and the short of it was that putting pressure right in the centre of the old undercarriage can be the cause of a number of issues, including non bacterial prostatitis. :(
Slick

Post by Slick »

Nice link, thanks. I think there is still more to that though.
BennettH

Post by BennettH »

david7591 wrote:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/is-your-saddle-harming-you-271533

Along with this, I have heard that rough terrain can worsen all of these effects. I cannot remember what I was listening to that was discussing the sturdy, but they found that mountain bikers had the most severe of these issues.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

For what its worth, I've had a couple of issues, both of which happily resolved themselves.

First up was serious NWS (numb w*lly syndrome) caused by foolishly using a little-used and unbroken-in Brooks B17 on 100mile event. After the ride my nethers were like they had been injected by lidocaine, taking a full 24 hours to get partial sensation back and 3 days to get full sensation. The saddle has gone to the great EBay in the sky.

The second issue was after a slow 15miler about town using a Selle SMP ergonomic saddle. Got home and found that I was pe*ing very small clots of blood. Now that is scary. Long story short, camera up into the bladder (cystoscopy) and all OK. The consultant told me that blood in urine is relatively common in male cyclists, especially in older men. The prostate is highly vascularised and damage to the small blood vessels can be caused by pressure from the saddle.I was not his first patient that day with a similar story.

That was about 2 years ago. I am still using the very comfortable Selle SMP and no further bleeds.
geomannie
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A lot of the hype around this Subject came from one manufacturer 's campaign. in the 90's There is some trueth in their campaign that if you have problems then A cut away saddle helps increase blood flow and relieves the stress points. However if you don't have problems then, there is little point in a cutaway saddle.
NUKe

Post by bigjim »

geomannie wrote:For what its worth, I've had a couple of issues, both of which happily resolved themselves.

First up was serious NWS (numb w*lly syndrome) caused by foolishly using a little-used and unbroken-in Brooks B17 on 100mile event. After the ride my nethers were like they had been injected by lidocaine, taking a full 24 hours to get partial sensation back and 3 days to get full sensation. The saddle has gone to the great EBay in the sky.

The second issue was after a slow 15miler about town using a Selle SMP ergonomic saddle. Got home and found that I was pe*ing very small clots of blood. Now that is scary. Long story short, camera up into the bladder (cystoscopy) and all OK. The consultant told me that blood in urine is relatively common in male cyclists, especially in older men. The prostate is highly vascularised and damage to the small blood vessels can be caused by pressure from the saddle.I was not his first patient that day with a similar story.

That was about 2 years ago. I am still using the very comfortable Selle SMP and no further bleeds.

I think the prostate is quite high up and tucked away. It would take a seriously squishy saddle to put pressure up there.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Possibly an "Ann Summers " saddle to affect your prostrate to be honest ... :D
But the "numb nuts" syndrome is well known by all cycling males ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

image.jpg
landsurfer wrote:But the "numb nuts" syndrome is well known by all cycling males ...

One of these is a help!!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Prostate gets bigger with age and is less tucked away. I used to like Brooks saddles but as they sag the prostate pressure, I found, got unpleasant. I tried Spa saddles which don't have the sag but hurt other places. I now use Madison Flux saddles.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A subject that did discussed some years ago... and long hours in the saddle (I am led to believe) can cause pressure on the perineal nerve leading to erectile / performance issues.... giving some men problems.. but having said that, many of the pro riders have been fairly prolific in their production of off-spring...

I do have a friend who raced all year round but particularly rode a lot of cyclo-x, and he recently had some major surgery due to issues he has from nerve and urethral compression... put down to the many years of severe bashing the area received due to rough terrain.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

My Tuppence worth - I finished treatment for Prostate Cancer over a year ago, Radiotherapy and Hormone Therapy. I cycle a fair bit and use Brooks B66 & B67S Ladies Saddles - (no, the Hormone therapy has worn off !!) - puts more of the weight on the pelvic bones. Adjusted to my preference, very comfy. Medics agree with this. As the above link says, cycling / excercise is the best thing you can do to keep the evil 'C' at bay - same goes for recovery. I also know another lad, not having PCa., who prefers these Brooks Ladies saddles over the more sporting 'scrotum crushers'.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8