Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) worth considering if your out of puff

hondated

Re: CKD worth considering if your out of puff

Post by hondated »

531colin wrote:
hondated wrote:........ after cycling I on several occasions felt light headed...……..

Are you taking medication for high blood pressure?

Not at the moment Colin. Getting a few headaches though !
hondated

Re: CKD worth considering if your out of puff

Post by hondated »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Has anyone told you an eGFR value?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-disease/diagnosis/
I am currently at Stage 3(a) for CKD but it doesn't seem to impair my cycling and nobody has suggested that is likely to have any impact.
The value seems to vary year by year and test by test, and a high(ish) protein keto diet may also have an impact.
I probably don't drink enough water to flush out my kidneys each day, either.

I certainly don't seem to suffer from shortness of breath, although I do suffer from steepness of hills!

Please keep us updated.

Thanks LGC theres some useful information there. Since the cardiologist casually mentioned I have CKD like you I have continued to cycle and its had no ill effects on me. My wife feels that I am being silly to continue to cycling but my logic is that if I can continue to do it then why not. And I also think it could be keeping it from getting worse. Really interesting you say how your eGFR value can be at different levels from test to test.
The only thing I have been told is that my sodium levels are too high. I am trying to drink more water to assist these levels in coming down.
At the end of this month I am going to have an Echocardiogram so hopefully that may explain a bit more of any problem I have.
I will let the forum know what happens because I do think threads like this can serve a service for anyone else that may at some time go through what I have been through.
I am just amazed that its been 3 years since my original post and it does show how quickly time goes by.