Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Mick F wrote:Yes, relax etc .............
.................. but does this actually mean anything at all?

BP is BP, and it goes up and it goes down, all naturally and normally.
Which figure is correct?
Relaxed, or peak, or mean, or average, or normal, or what?

If it's peak, and that peak is high, it means that if you're going to have a problem, it will be when it's at peak ................ not when you're relaxed.

Its an indication of general fitness when resting.
You would not rev the engine when sitting at the lights would you :mrgreen:
If BP is consistently high for your age when resting then higher probability of stroke / heart problems........when you go to the toilet.........where I found my father.................blue and dead :!:
I am 58 he was 59...............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

I suspect this book is good: Heart Failure by Thomas J. Moore.
It is old, but it will explain how drugs are found, tested, licenced, and monitored and how everything is brushed under the carpet when it goes wrong. After reading it, you might choose to enjoy your life more and to take your chances with Mother Nature.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Flinders wrote:Some problems seem to do with how BP is taken.

I have to take mine at home, it goes up too much at the surgery for historic reasons. I've been doing this for years and it has always been fine. I know you have to sit down for at least five mins, relax, not cross your legs, must keep arm at right height resting on chair arm, not eat soon before, etc.

After a higher reading than usual last night, I started to wonder why, and in a subsequent web search, I found that you ought not to take a hot (or very cold) drink within half an hour before taking it, because that can make it go up, same with a glass of water. I was drinking a nice hot drink just before taking it.

I never knew that - nobody told me. Or that sitting with your back unsupported can put it up as well, which I also found out...........

Yep, don't talk fart or visit toilet before or laugh or lift your arm :)
Seriously, sit on couch and relax.

Tried it tonight just out of interest.
Took it. Normal to lowish (for me) then had half a hot drink, waited about 5 mins, and took it again. About 10 points up on the top figure, still below 120. Drank rest of hot drink, waited a bit, took it again, up nearly another 10 points - to above 120 and nearly as high as where it was yesterday when I took it when I didn't realise what was doing it. :evil: So it really does have an effect, at least, it does for me.

As for going to the loo, apparently having a full bladder puts it up as well, so if you have, maybe you should 'go' first and then relax a bit before taking it. :wink:

No wonder some people get erratic readings when you think about all those variable factors.