Broken wrist recovery

PT1029

Broken wrist recovery

Post by PT1029 »

I've just had a plaster taken off my right wrist. Still quite painful if flexed too far (I now have a split for it). They said it might not be quite fully healed yet (bottom end of one of the long bones in the fore arm, it was a clean break, and has had 5 or 6 weeks in plaster).
We sort of narrowed the discussion down to I could ride a bike with a splint, unless it hurt. (I need my bike to do my work!)
I have a physio leaflet, with a appointment to be made later. Alas, I was hoping to be reasonably normal once the plaster was off.
How long does it take to feel normal(ish) usually?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Broken wrist recovery

Post by Mick F »

Get well soon!

I was 11 - May 1964 - when I broke my right wrist. Radius and Ulna.
I was with some mates climbing trees in a wood about a mile from home and we'd gone there on our bikes.
I fell, and it hurt like hell!

I cycled home in a great deal of pain, and Dad took me to hospital and he picked me up a few hours later with a good thick paster-cast. Within a day or two, I was riding my bike again. :D

After six weeks, my cast was removed, and my wrist felt weird indeed! I can still remember that feeling. A few days after getting it off, I was riding like a good 'un, though it felt weak for ages.

I know this is a story about a young kid, and adults heal much more slowly, but I'd like to think if I broke a wrist now, I'd still be riding my bike, though dropped 'bars could be an issue. I'd have to think about swapping them over to straights.

My suggestion is get out and try it.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Big problem is muscle wastage as they have been supported by the cast for the past weeks... and they have been held fairly stiff position so have to get used to working again....

When I broke mine and the plaster came off I asked when i could cycle again and when I could i weight train.... was told i would be cycling before weight training..... next day i cycled to the gym and went weight training...... well it was in the correct order.....

Yes it is sore the muscles have to re-learn being used but they only do that by being used..... so do those exercises and use it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I broke my wrist very badly in a skiing accident and had many bolts and plates inserted.

After the plaster and splint cast was off it felt rather strange but nothing more. The consultant was very matter of fact and said that as long as I listened to my body that I was highly unlikely to do any damage so just get on with life. I wnt to the physiotherapist just to tick all the boxes but found that regular normal activity was as good as targeted excercises to get everything back to normal.

I was lucky to ride recumbents so just carried on as normal using the trike for the first few weeks after the accident as I didn't want to risk being on two wheels.

All it takes is a bit of time.
Wolffy

Post by Wolffy »

I've got a plate and screws in my right wrist following broken radius 30th July. I also have a plate and screws in my left wrist following a motorbike accident a few years ago when I broke my radius and ulna. I find gear changing difficult on my specialized amira and have fixed something onto the left gear shifter to help me reach better, but following this accident I now can't change gear on the right at all. I know my strength will come back, but gear changing is now problematic and I anticipate it will continue use to be, especially with the probability of arthritis in the future.

A local bike shop has suggested fitting sram etap shifting system to my bike, and while I like the sound of this it is very expensive and I am simply a leisure rider getting on in years who only started riding a road bike in January. I know it would seem to others that I might not be suited to two wheels, but I love it and want to continue riding, so giving up is not an option. Riding my hybrid doesn't give me the same feeling of freedom. I want to ride my road bike and change gear easily.

Any suggestions? Any experience of etap?

Sorry if I have hijacked this post.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have accidentally replied to this on the other thread!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wolffy wrote:
Any suggestions? Any experience of etap?

Sorry if I have hijacked this post.

Answers should go on Wolffy's thread viewtopic.php?f=49&t=109815&p=1060123#p1060123
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ScottishGeek

Post by ScottishGeek »

Sounds like you have had a type 1 distal radius fracture from which, in time, you should recover very well from.

At six weeks the bone has joined but is not yet up to full precfracture strength hence the splint etc.

When I did mine, about 10 years ago, I was probably feeling 'normal' around the 12 to 14 week point following physiotherapy and excersices to help regain movement muscle tone. You will feel some pain and discomfort for a while but that will ease in time. Follow the instructions of your physio and be quite diligent in carrying out the excercises they tell you to do.

In January of this year I had a type 4 (intra-articular, displaced) DRF that required manipulation and K wires. This is still recovering/improving at the present time.