Leg weakness

PAB855

Leg weakness

Post by PAB855 »

My daughter has an occasional weakness in her left leg which means that unpredictably she cannot apply an equal force on both pedals, and her ankle lacks strength. She had so little control over her left leg after an 80 mile sportive, that her left knee was banging against the top tube and she was completely exhausted. She can adapt her action on her exercise bike somehow, I think she is almost pedalling with her heal. She wonders if ' locking' her lower leg, ankle and foot to eliminate all flexing, she could put in a lot more effort. Any locking device on the LHS has the disadvantage of her not being able to safely put that foot down when stopping, unless it had a clever ' unclipping' feature.

I know there are one legged cyclists, but her leg doesn't always behave the same way. Unfortunately, once it 'gives' it doesn't recover until she gets off and has a rest. Has anyone any suggestions please?
NUKe

Re: Leg weakness

Post by NUKe »

Not sure what you are asking if its about pedal systems look in to shimano multi release cleats,
you can get cycling boots which give some ankle support but I wouldn't lock the leg out completely.

If your looking for other ideas then what about traditional toe clips and straps or just pedal straps something like these
https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... tegory=113

If your question is about what is wrong see a doctor or a physio as its possibly back related.
NUKe

Post by cotswolds »

Is this a diagnosed medical thing or just something she randomly experiences? If the latter, I'm sure strengthening the left leg is the way to go, and a sports physio would be the person to advise on how to do it. Trying to pedal properly on her exercise bike with just her left leg might be a good way to start.

I know the body can develop asymmetric weaknesses for no very obvious reason. The left leg leaves the right leg to do all the work and never gets any stronger. On a long ride, it just gets exhausted first and gives up. Sounds like the left leg is a lot weaker than the right, but there's no reason why it shouldn't become as strong, unless there's some underlying problem. (Weakness on its own isn't a problem, it's just a symptom of lack of use.)
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Sorry about delay in responding. Thanks for your comments. She has MS and it's early days. She can never predict how far she can go, even when walking, before her leg will begin to feel weak. I have made contact with Quest88 and am awaiting developments.

What I can't understand is after reading the article 'Cycling sets me free' in the 13 Oct issue of Cycling Weekly, how is it that Justin Kendell can cycle 1,370 miles from Wales to the Pyrenees and from his comments on his disability, he has more physical weaknesses than my daughter, yet she had to give up riding regularly with a local Clarion club? She is not one to give up easily either.

His comment 'my balance is awful' also has me wondering how his balance compares with my wife's. She had a stroke and can no longer ride a bike because of her lack of balance, despite trying hard to ride a small bike with no pedals, ie like an adult balance bike, down a gentle grass slope. She kept falling off. She now rides an adult trike, but still hankers after her bike.

I really admire Justin for his guts and determination and hope he continues to make the most of his cycling, but it's very difficult to equate what he can do with my personal experience . Maybe it's mind over matter? I would love to know.

As a family we have adapted to match our abilities and still enjoy our time pedalling, doing regular short rides and charity rides, so we could be a lot worse off.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Your daughter may benefit from the use of some form of 'ankle foot orthosis'.
There are numerous different types and designs for various issues.
Perhaps she should ask for a referral to see an Orthotist for an assessment.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks rualexander. I now know what an Orthotist is. Locally there is consultation once a month, better than nothing so I will pass on your suggestion.
skelo

Post by skelo »

Hi I just read your post, I suffered a severe stroke 2 years ago, there are some similarities with MS,i.e, the muscles are still there but the brain ain't talking to them. I have been using a recumbent trike to help with my recovery, and have gone from complete left-sided paralysis to cycling 40K and increasing every day.

I have an ankle/foot orthosis (AFO)which was cast to fit my leg (on the NHS!) I can cycle without it, but its miles easier with it. I know a few people with MS and know that the symptoms come and go, if i was going OK without it I wouldn't bother but it could be an option when times are bad.

I know I've made a lot of assumptions there and everyone is different, but I hope that helps...
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for that. It's useful to know you have had practical experience of the device and that it can make a difference. Cheers.
honeyseeker

Post by honeyseeker »

My mum started to suffer from this lately, unfortunately she hasn't been diagnosed yet. All tests she did came clear
honeyseeker

Post by honeyseeker »

Have you thought on taking vit B?