knee replacement

RobH

Re: Knee replacement

Post by RobH »

I'm 61 and I had a TKR last February, so I am now at the point where it's about as good as it's going to get in terms of recovery. My flexion (bend) was good from early days after the op, but my extension (lock out) required a little more work. I was on an exercise bike within days and my first trip out on the road bike was, I think, around 3 weeks after the op.

I am now at a stage where I can easily ride for 60 miles in and around the Surrey Hills without too much trouble. I did raise my saddle very slightly at first but it is now back to its previous position. The knee might feel a little stiff when off the bike sometimes, but it is pretty much trouble free while riding. I occasionally apply ice if it gets too stiff. I still have some muscle wastage in the quad, but I have some resistance exercises that I am hoping will help with that. I can say that the knee is pain free now :-)

The challenge now is to see how the knee holds up when I do successive 60-mile days on my forthcoming trip through France, which I start at the end of the month.

My advice is: have patience! And don't cut corners on your recovery exercises.

Good luck!
RodT

knee replacement

Post by RodT »

Until three weeks ago, I was doing weekly rides with my local club as well as riding two or three times a week as an individual. I'd do 60-80 miles a week on average, on road and on the mining trails here in Cornwall. I do regular camping trips to France with my mates and I like riding the longer routes in the UK. I'm 70 years old. Three weeks ago, I had a partial (uni-compartmental) knee replacement, which has obviously put a temporary halt to my cycling.
Has anyone else had a similar operation? Was it successful? How long before you were able to get back on your bike? I'd be grateful for any tips, advice and encouragement. At the moment, I feel my fitness levels dropping by the day. I'm quite demoralised, and my bikes are getting cabin fever down in the shed.
I'm thinking of getting out my turbo trainer soon. Is that advisable?
I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thank you.
Boyd

Re: knee replacement

Post by Boyd »

After a spinal infection which attacked every part of my body I was left with severe arthritis in one knee. Due to it being caused by an infection I was told to come back in one year. Got a good quality exercise bike (lots of different programs) and put it in front of telly. Took about 2 months before I was able to go out on the road albiet for very short rides. After one year went back and they said I had made a near perfect recovery based on having almost full movement in the knee. I haven't had full movement in that knee since I was nine so I suppose you could say I had made full recovery! Said come back in four years.
After my knee became quite painful and made a very load click with every step I went back to see a GP (roughly 4 years later) Disgustingly he said a knee replacement would only last 5 years. Some of these doctor really do think the public are half wits. Again worked hard but gently and sorted myself out. I have no respect for the medical proffesion with the possible exception of physiotherapist.