training with panniers

Spitdiss

training with panniers

Post by Spitdiss »

Hi

i am training for a long distance ride next year does anyone train with weights in their panniers ?

if so what do you use as bricks will rub and put holes in panniers?
thirdcrank

Re: training with panniers

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never been that daft (if you'll pardon my frankness) but I'd suggest sand. (Protect the inside of the panners with a plastic bag to prevent finding sand in all your kit for years to come.)

MickF did do something similar with a trailer and concrete block.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

plastic bottles of water are an easy way to add weight. and if you work on 1ltr = 1kg. you can work out how many bottles you need.
Id be more inclined just ride normally and then do a loaded ride shortly before you go to see how the bike handles
NUKe

Post by whoof »

Do you mean that you be doing some long distance rides next year with heavy panniers and you wish to replicate this or just that you think that carrying heavy panniers will improve your fitness?

If it's the latter, when I used to race every now and then someone (who didn't race and probably didn't cycle either) would suggest riding with bricks or weights in a pannier/ruck sack. The answer was always the same, can ride up hill in your biggest gear (say 53/12) and are spinning out (120 rpm), which would be over 40 mph. If this isn't the case you don't need to add bricks to get fitter just ride faster.
meic

Post by meic »

Go shopping with your bike.
It soon adds up in weight, especially if you buy beer.
Yma o Hyd
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I tried walking with a rucsac full of gravel (in poly bags) but there's no need on a bike, you can just change to a higher gear and/or ride faster. At one time I also tried walking with lead insoles in my boots.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Don't bother. In preparation for cycle camping I've considered loading with bottles of water but since my touring load adds only about 20lbs over my daily ride of 43lbs anyway I do not think it would make much difference. About 7 years ago I rode more than usual in the spring in preparation for a 1500 mile tour, and I am sure that I felt better for it, but this year I did another 1500 mile tour without many miles in my legs at all and was pretty well ok.

So I would say, just ride more than usual - not necessarily further just more often.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I stuck some work text books in my saddle bag once... soon knocked that on the head...
Carrying shopping helps, and gives you the opportunity to learn to balance your bags.... other than that just ride... I always found i quickly got used to carrying a weight when on tour.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Put whatever you'll have for your long ride in the panniers...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm well known for towing a concrete block. :lol:
109_Block_1.jpg
109_Block_1.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Excellent training for a loaded tour, and eventually you don't notice the weight ................. until you ride without it.

So yes, put some weight in your panniers. Latterly, I'd not had a concrete block available, so filled up some empty plastic bottles with water. 1Ltr is 1Kg. Make sure you carry a good 50% more weight than you will do for your actual ride. Use this weight for every single bike ride, and eventually you won't notice it and feel it "normal".
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

IMO any benefit to be had will be from learning how the bike handles with the extra load. In which case you'll be best loading up with whatever you plan to take with you or at least trying to replicate your proposed weight distribution of that load.

If you do the former you can also play around with the weight and bulk distribution and settle on whatever works for you and your bike.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gaz wrote:IMO any benefit to be had will be from learning how the bike handles with the extra load. In which case you'll be best loading up with whatever you plan to take with you or at least trying to replicate your proposed weight distribution of that load.

If you do the former you can also play around with the weight and bulk distribution and settle on whatever works for you and your bike.

+1 Packaging and unpacking is an utterly tiresome affair so the more second nature it becomes, the better your sanity stays, post big days and loading before you've had brekky.

Second to this, water sounds good. I've only ever carried sand once and that was after a night out in a sand storm. Unintentional of course.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I had assumed you were looking for a way of building up your strength.

If you are training in the sense of getting used to carrying that amount of stuff around, in addition to experimenting with things like load distribution and practicing packing and unpacking, I recommend that while doing so you cast a critical eye over every item you plant to take because it seems essential. Start with that kitchen sink. :wink: Joking aside, you may find that you can be happy with less kit.
fionat

Post by fionat »

pjclinch wrote:Put whatever you'll have for your long ride in the panniers...

Then ditch half of it, because you really don't need all that stuff.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I disagree with what most have posted here.
I train for long distance and believe that using a weighted bike has big advantages.
Just add some slow tyres for more drag.
Accelerating on the flat from a start at junctions and lights requires more effort than just speed will give, and hills..................
I admit it is sometimes difficult to quantify which way to train for particular tasks.

Some talk of miles but I prefer effort and time spent.
It does also depend how hard you require to train for the task you have set yourself :?:

Good luck.

I use these for training, leaving my tourer for the rides specific.
Attachments
DB1 23 kgs when loaded.
DB1 23 kgs when loaded.
AP2 23 kgs when loaded.
AP2 23 kgs when loaded.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.