Amlodipine...good or bad?

tykeboy2003

Re: Amlodipine...good or bad?

Post by tykeboy2003 »

ambodach wrote:I am on 5mg Amlodipine, among other things even tho' I have aortic stenosis

Is that calcification of the aortic valve?

I was diagnosed with the above during a pre-op checkup before I had a kidney stone lasered. I was told there would be some follow up but have heard nothing since last August.

I'm 60 and as far as I'm aware I have no symptoms resulting from it.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Hi tyke boy. Yes and also a narrowing in the neck. This was originally picked up by accident during a check for an unrelated problem ( urinary infection ) and I have no noticeable problems from either. I am monitored every 6 months and get a heart scan annually. I am considerably older than you. I tend to be a bit coy about my age as do not see it as anything to boast about as some ancients do. Think 20 years.
iainb

Post by iainb »

Hi folks
I've revived this post as I've been found to have what my GP described as "medium high" BP and prescribed 5mg a day of a similar thing - Felodipine. It's brought the BP down but I've developed swollen and sore ankles and feet, pitting oedema when I looked it up. Seems to be to much of a coincidence and apparently this can be a side effect of this drug, has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks and regards
Iain
pete75

Post by pete75 »

iainb wrote:Hi folks
I've revived this post as I've been found to have what my GP described as "medium high" BP and prescribed 5mg a day of a similar thing - Felodipine. It's brought the BP down but I've developed swollen and sore ankles and feet, pitting oedema when I looked it up. Seems to be to much of a coincidence and apparently this can be a side effect of this drug, has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks and regards
Iain

It might be an idea to go back to your GP and tell him of your problems. Something else may suit you better.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
531colin

Post by 531colin »

iainb wrote:Hi folks
Thanks and regards
Iain

I have very minor ankle swelling with Amlodipine, but other antihypertensive drugs have given me much worse side effects, so I live with imperceptibly swollen ankles, and the best blood pressure control I have ever had. I have a feeling my swollen ankles got less obvious over time, but it was never anything like you describe.
Go back to your GP and ask to try something different, but first read up on the NICE/Brit. Hypertens. Soc. stuff i linked on page 1; they are the real experts, i have had some fairly random prescribing from more than one practitioner, i had to insist they followed the guidelines.