Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?

bigjim

Re: Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?

Post by bigjim »

axel_knutt wrote:
bigjim wrote:We could go on forever couldn't we? Hence the need for testing to elimate stuff.

It's all very well and good telling the OP to get tested, but he's already suggested that he gets fobbed off by the doctor.

So what do you suggest then. Grin and bear it? Here is an idea. Don't be fobbed off! You have to stand up for yourself with obstinate GPs or ask to see somebody else. They don't like paying for tests/scans as they are always looking at their budgets. I had the same problem this year. So just booked an appointment with another GP. Oh, I also said I would sue if there was a problem. Test booked in straight away. Many surgeries run Wellman clinics now where they do all sorts of tests.
Even paying private for a blood test would be worthwhile IMO. Health is more important than anything.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thanks all. It genuinely is good getting such a variety of responses. I can safely rule out drugs, alcohol abuse and menopause. It's the others that are a bit scary. From what I know of my biological family, there is very little cancer and 1 case of diabetes. Vorpal I had never given tropical issues any thought. Maybe those macadamia nuts and oranges I 'scrumped' in my childhood are back to get me. Karma hey?

My surgery is terrible but I can try again and hope I don't get shelved once more. I just don't like being 'part of a system'.

Anyhow, thank you. I had a good night last night apart from being woken at god-knows-what-time by my 7 year old who wanted to discuss her malfunctioning dream-catcher. Last time I buy feathery junk on eBay.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We sleep without clothing, with the window open a few inches with a sheet over us .. sometimes a very thin quilted bedspread for the coldest nights,.. Jules's sweats (menopause) have disappeared, all the sage tablets, preparations and other guff made no difference ..... Herbal Night Sweating remedy ..... nonsense.... cold bedroom .... great !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Annoying Twit wrote:Why would you ask a forum of people who are mostly not medical experts, rather than asking your GP?

You sound like someone who has faith in GPs. Perhaps you've a good one?
There is sufficient evidence floating around this forum to show diagnosis and prescriptions are far from foolproof and sometimes detrimental. I see nothing wrong in asking lay persons on their experience of particular symptoms.
In our own family my wife has two brothers. Both have always had good jobs and private medical insurance along with them. They and their wives have had more tests and drugs for this and that and stays in hospitals which I can't keep track of. All four of them are now far from healthy. How much of the attention they received was necessary is anyone's guess I'll guess a lot of it was to send an invoice to the insurers.
Meanwhile we've been the 'cranky, knit your own yoghurt' side of the family. We've always eaten Wholefoods, brought our children up on goats milk and homemade bread. We have a lot of faith and evidence of herbal treatments. Always followed Juliet de Baracli Levy in natural rearing of dogs. I can't remember how many sheepdogs I've had in 40 yrs, must be something like 30, but I can remember how many times I've been to the vets with them. Three times.
This doesn't mean I don't go and seek medical advise. There are some things, like antibiotics when needed, that conventional medicine is good at. The many options we have at our disposal can compliment each other.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

landsurfer wrote:We sleep without clothing, with the window open a few inches with a sheet over us .. sometimes a very thin quilted bedspread for the coldest nights,.. Jules's sweats (menopause) have disappeared, all the sage tablets, preparations and other guff made no difference ..... Herbal Night Sweating remedy ..... nonsense.... cold bedroom .... great !!!

Absolutely. Thanks. I prefer cool too. Even in the the dead of winter I like fresh air blowing through the house. I'll read up on sage. I like it in tea.

Unfortunately there has been a change in government in my chicken flock. Long story short: An enormous cockerel that is the size of a small buffalo has recently come into power. He crows in baritone and it's a mix of whale song and werewolf howls. It penetrates everything. And he is 50m from the house. I've had to start shutting the windows. The real trouble is, he won't fit into my oven. (Well ok he's also a very good leader too.)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Absolutely. Thanks. I prefer cool too. Even in the the dead of winter I like fresh air blowing through the house. I'll read up on sage. I like it in tea.

Unfortunately there has been a change in government in my chicken flock. Long story short: An enormous cockerel that is the size of a small buffalo has recently come into power. He crows in baritone and it's a mix of whale song and werewolf howls. It penetrates everything. And he is 50m from the house. I've had to start shutting the windows. The real trouble is, he won't fit into my oven. (Well ok he's also a very good leader too.)

Wax earplugs are the way to go. Very efficient. I doubt your feathered friend is a match for my wifes snoring. :)
epa611

Post by epa611 »

Tried wool mattress, duvet, pillows? Much better for you and better at regulating temperature

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D5803 using hovercraft full of eels.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Heltor Chasca wrote: Long story short: An enormous cockerel that is the size of a small buffalo has recently come into power. He crows in baritone and it's a mix of whale song and werewolf howls. It penetrates everything. And he is 50m from the house. I've had to start shutting the windows. The real trouble is, he won't fit into my oven. (Well ok he's also a very good leader too.)

Kill him !!!!!! :twisted:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

landsurfer wrote:We sleep without clothing, with the window open a few inches with a sheet over us .. sometimes a very thin quilted bedspread for the coldest nights,.. Jules's sweats (menopause) have disappeared, all the sage tablets, preparations and other guff made no difference ..... Herbal Night Sweating remedy ..... nonsense.... cold bedroom .... great !!!

Well I find myself agreeing with you to a point...did I just say that :?
I don't wear any longs below the waist unless the temp is below 3 C on the bike.
I wear sandals and shorts most of the year.
Cant sleep if the bedroom is more than 16C.

I suffer night sweats -

Working hard for most of the day and getting into a 600gram sleeping bag in summer south England, rather difficult to regulate when you don't know what the weather is doing hour by hour overnight, I sweat I chill all night.

Weather changes over night at home I can sweat there too.

Only sleeping 3 & 1/2 hours a night for over two years (since shingles, nerve pain) I wake early then my mind rolls over anything that comes in to my mind, current problems / old gripes....................
Fall asleep and wake up sweating, normally involves dreaming too which hasent happened (dreaming) for over thirty five years hardly at all but does happen if I wake and fall asleep again, before that 35 years ago nightly dreaming, then I woke up in intensive care.

I don't think there is anything wrong with me, we all have a different physical makeup, exercise certainly works after you stop for sure, If I don't exercise regularly I get cold easy as I have got older if I sit around at home for a few days, I believe that brown fat cells are responsible for keeping warm also, some don't have many.

For two years I have slept under a loose cheap sleeping bag, if it gets cold then I get in bag, otherwise I can put my feet out or uncover with out disturbing the other bed user, they also have a separate bag, I was tired of drafts down my neck, works for both of us.

If you are suffering dehydration probably worth a visit to GP, if you are sweating and not eating then you will need some thing more than water to replace the salt, bed table drink might help, but If you are waking after long sleep and not overnight might not be effective.
Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Paulatic wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:Why would you ask a forum of people who are mostly not medical experts, rather than asking your GP?

You sound like someone who has faith in GPs. Perhaps you've a good one?
There is sufficient evidence floating around this forum to show diagnosis and prescriptions are far from foolproof and sometimes detrimental. I see nothing wrong in asking lay persons on their experience of particular symptoms.

I've seen a variety of GPs in my lifetime. Some good, some bad. I'm basically healthy myself, so rarely need any sort of treatment. However, I have seen relatives and friends go through treatment for severe, in some cases life ending illness, and have seen exaples of what can and can't be done. But, these are anecdotes and pretty damn useless in evaluating the effectiveness of treatment.

More importantly than my own personal observations or other anecdotes, there is plenty of published research on the effectiveness of treatment. E.g. that cancer survival rates have been improving. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cance ... KD20150423

There's also evidence that for cancer, people live longer with treatment than they do without. You need to look at each illness separately however http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-c ... r/survival

Further investigation of this shows that mainstream medicine does have a beneficial effect overall. But note that I chose liver cancer as my example. It is a difficult to treat cancer, and for stage D there are no effective treatments. The treatment is more effective the earlier the cancer is detected. This comes back to the OP. Night sweats are often not a serious problem, but they can be a symptom of a serious disease. If the OP delays going to their GP while chasing 'alternatives', then an underlying condition may go untreated for longer than it should, which could have very serious effects.

In our own family my wife has two brothers. Both have always had good jobs and private medical insurance along with them. They and their wives have had more tests and drugs for this and that and stays in hospitals which I can't keep track of. All four of them are now far from healthy. How much of the attention they received was necessary is anyone's guess I'll guess a lot of it was to send an invoice to the insurers.

Here you have anecdotal evidence based on a very small sample. You appear to be trying to claim that having medical treatment makes people unhealthy. People vary greatly in their health status. Some experience considerable illness throughout their lives. Some remain robustly healthy to an advanced age. You have no idea whether or not these people would be even less healthy if they hadn't received medical treatment. If you want to claim something, then (a) you should be clear about what you are claiming, and (b) you should provide proper evidence. Anecdote is not evidence, discussed further here: https://thelogicofscience.com/2016/02/1 ... worthless/ We've all heard about some great aunt who smoked a packet every day and lived to 100. That does not mean that cigarettes are healthy. If you had swapped strategies so that your wife's brothers had used herbalism, while your side used conventional medicine, but all else stayed the same, what would have happened? You have no idea.

Meanwhile we've been the 'cranky, knit your own yoghurt' side of the family. We've always eaten Wholefoods, brought our children up on goats milk and homemade bread. We have a lot of faith and evidence of herbal treatments. Always followed Juliet de Baracli Levy in natural rearing of dogs. I can't remember how many sheepdogs I've had in 40 yrs, must be something like 30, but I can remember how many times I've been to the vets with them. Three times.
This doesn't mean I don't go and seek medical advise. There are some things, like antibiotics when needed, that conventional medicine is good at. The many options we have at our disposal can compliment each other.

You say that you have a lot of faith and evidence in herbal treatments. Well, it's possible to find people who have faith and claim to have evidence in any sort of claptrap you care to name. Crystal healing? Ghosts?

You mention your sheepdogs. How healthy are sheepdogs in general? Are you using the correct method of measuring their health - as someone who is following a 'natural' method does that depress the number of visits to the vets. If they weren't getting ill, then would they have gone to the vets even if you'd believed in it.

That's why in medicine we need to have robust, repeated, experiments to work out what works and what doesn't. There are myriad ways in which people can fool themselves that a treatment is effective. Various forms of placebo effect. Reversion to the mean. Spurious correlation. Selective memory. Social proof. Etc. That's why there are randomised double-blinded controlled trials. As otherwise there's too much risk of ending up believing something that is wrong.

Returning to your sheepdogs, there are a small number of dogs (in terms of medical research) that you've raised with a 'natural' lifestyle. But, you have no control group of a randomly selected half of the dogs which will be raised differently. And, you have a measure of fitness, trips to the vets, that is based on your own decisions. To really know if the lifestyle is beneficial for dogs and most importantly to know which aspects of the lifestyle are effective (if any) you need proper experiments which you as an individual can't do. Again, you have no idea what would have happened had you believed more in conventional medicine for them but all else was equal.

I'm not immune to this. At one time there was an over the counter cough medicine that I believed far more effective than any others. So, I'd buy it every time I had a cough and it seemed that the cough would just melt away. However, when over the counter cough medicines were robustly tested, it was found that they were no more effective than placebo. I'm not arrogant enough to claim that my personal experience over-rules properly conducted medical research. However, many people are and this leads to the propagation of medical BS.

It's easy to claim that something like herbalism 'complements' mainstream medicine. But, the problem is where people start to believe in the effectiveness of alternative medicine to the point where they eschew conventional medicine to use alternatives, and therefore do not receive effective treatment. That is far from being complementary. Particularly when something becomes a meme, such as St John's Wort which has been shown to be no better than a placebo and to have side effects: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/stjohnswor ... ession.htm

Herbalism is a case where if a herb has an effect, then medical research will reveal this, the active ingredient will be extracted, purified, and supplied in a controlled dose. It becomes mainstream medicine and can be delivered more reliably. What is left under the 'alternative' banner is the stuff that doesn't work, or inefficient and unreliable delivery. Such as St John's Wort.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Annoying Twit wrote:Herbalism is a case where if a herb has an effect, then medical research will reveal this, the active ingredient will be extracted, purified, and supplied in a controlled dose. It becomes mainstream medicine and can be delivered more reliably. What is left under the 'alternative' banner is the stuff that doesn't work, or inefficient and unreliable delivery. Such as St John's Wort.

Except that the vast majority of medical treatment research is run by pharmaceutical companies, which may have an interest in finding that herbal remedies don't work.

Since you brought it up, St. John's wort is sometimes used to treat depression.

Some studies have found that it is effective for this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92750/
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0101500109

Pharmaceutical solutions vary hugely as to their effectiveness. Some of the most popular anti-depressants are no more effective than a placebo, and the side-effects can be even worse than St. John's Wort https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

So, an individual may find that St. John's Wort is more effective than a pharmaceutical solution. If so, I see no reason to criticise them for using it.

I don't think that it is any more reasonable to dismiss herbalism or other natural remedies out of hand, than it is to avoid conventional medicine altogether.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Vorpal wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:Herbalism is a case where if a herb has an effect, then medical research will reveal this, the active ingredient will be extracted, purified, and supplied in a controlled dose. It becomes mainstream medicine and can be delivered more reliably. What is left under the 'alternative' banner is the stuff that doesn't work, or inefficient and unreliable delivery. Such as St John's Wort.

Except that the vast majority of medical treatment research is run by pharmaceutical companies, which may have an interest in finding that herbal remedies don't work.

Well, it's not research to show that herbal remedies do or don't work as a whole. Each individual treatment, no matter what type, has to be proved or disproved on its own merits.

Since you brought it up, St. John's wort is sometimes used to treat depression.

Some studies have found that it is effective for this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92750/
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0101500109

If you look at your first link, then the evidence for St John's Wort is very mixed. More recent research (such as the paper I linked to above) has been more negative than earlier research. But, looking at the publications as a whole, there appears to be no attempt to discredit SJW, but an attempt to find out what any active ingredient is, and whether it has real effectiveness. The answer could have been yes as much as no.

Pharmaceutical solutions vary hugely as to their effectiveness. Some of the most popular anti-depressants are no more effective than a placebo, and the side-effects can be even worse than St. John's Wort https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

Yes, that's the case. The paper that I linked to mentioned exactly the same, that some mainstream treatments for depression were no better than placebo, and I specifically mentioned the case of over the counter cough medicines. All treatments, no matter their origin or type, have to be shown to be effective. And, many aren't. However, mainstream medicine overall has a filter that means that over time it improves, as shown by better survival rates/times for cancer. Where is the evidence that 'alternative' medicine is improving and becoming more effective?

So, an individual may find that St. John's Wort is more effective than a pharmaceutical solution. If so, I see no reason to criticise them for using it.

In the case of depression there's a lack of clear-cut evidence that many things work better than placebo. However, that is not the case in much medicine. And even for depression there are drugs such as Zoloft and Lexapro which have better evidence. E.g. reported here: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/3 ... =PM:HEALTH How would an individual 'find' that a drug is more effective?

It's more serious diseases, such as cancer, where the difference in effectiveness between mainstream and alternative medicines, in some circumstances such as sufficiently early detection, where it is certainly reasonable to criticise people going for alternative treatments if they believe that this will increase their chance of survival.

I don't think that it is any more reasonable to dismiss herbalism or other natural remedies out of hand, than it is to avoid conventional medicine altogether.

Nobody is dismissing herbalism out of hand. Research presented by both yourself and myself show that SJW is being investigated by robust techniques including meta-surveys and repeated experiments. However, claims for efficacy of treatments presented without evidence can be dismissed out of hand until such time as there is evidence. An investigation of how medical research progresses shows that it is difficult to find effective medicines even when the full power of evidence-based modern medicine is applied. Where are the effective new treatments for herbalism? Again, as I mentioned, if something worked e.g. if SJW turned out to be very effective, then it would become mainstream, with the active ingredient identified and isolated. The papers linked to by both of us shows that. 'Alternative' medicine is left with what doesn't work, or inefficient delivery.

There are people using robust experimental techniques to test alternative medicine. It just so happens that almost all such treatments are found to be ineffective, measured through statistical or practical significance. Those that are found to work become mainstream medcine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Please, please go and see your doctor.

I had night sweats over several years, it is a characteristic of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I was diagnosed, had 9 months of chemotherapy and am still well 13 years later. It is down to my wife setting me an appointment that I am still alive.

Hodgkin's is a cancer believed to be caused by the Glandular Fever virus - from epidemiological evidence. Typically it is found in the under-40s and is a young man's disease. Unusually it is a cancer that is 'caught' it would appear, so family history is irrelevant.

Please go and see your doctor.

If you are all clear, then go and self-diagnose and try the herbals...but they cannot cure this cancer, however there are several long-standing treatments that do. Literally cure, not put it off a bit.
Last edited by hamster on 10 Jan 2017, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Its not as simple as "conventional medicine good, alternative bad".....or the other way round.

Let me tell you an anecdote; I went to the GP with pain in my toes. He gave me enough Ibuprofen to knock the pain down, and to upset my gut. He promised me podiatry which I'm certain would lead to me having insoles for each pair of shoes and boots.
My brother (with no medical training) diagnosed collapsed arches over the phone; I googled the exercises and I am now pain and Ibuprofen free. (My brother had fitted people for ski boots for years....office workers who do 2 weeks skiing a year ratchet their boots up tight enough to collapse their arches.......or cycling shoes!)

I am worried by the assumption that you can treat "night sweats". Either brucellosis or malaria will give you night sweats, and the treatment is different. Effective treatment begins with proper diagnosis.

"hamster"......our posts somehow crossed......chapeau!.....I wouldn't have posted if I had read yours.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Annoying Twit wrote: And even for depression there are drugs such as Zoloft and Lexapro which have better evidence. E.g. reported here: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/3 ... =PM:HEALTH How would an individual 'find' that a drug is more effective?

That doesn't reference the study discussed, but even the most effective anti-depression medications are only about 85% effective, meaning that 15 people out of 100 will not find any improvement from them. In addition, most anti-depressants become less effective over time, and the person taking them needs to find an alternative or increase dosage, which can make any side effects worse. Also, some side effects of anti-dpression medication are ones that can complicate the illness (even if they generally improve mood) such as impotence, disturbed sleep patterns, or disconnected feelings.

(Sorry about the wandering off-topic, HC)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom