Heart rate training

Mattievrs

Heart rate training

Post by Mattievrs »

Hi, I'm matt! :D

I'm new here and looking for some simple advice for an idiot........yeah that's me!

Can someone explain as simple as possible what heart training is and it's benefits please? What do I need to have to be able to do some hrt and what would I see as a benefit?

Looking to get a bit fitter for a c2c in late May time.

Many thanks
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
ianrobo

Re: Heart rate training

Post by ianrobo »

The best thing about training in zones is to pace your effort for a required length of time so you get quality over quantity. Of course depends what you want to do and the course but say going for a 4 hour in average Z2 of your HR will quickly build up your endurance.

Just a word of advices don;t get a HR strap go for either a wrist based one (I had a Mio Velo before I bust it) which was excellent and then for the replacement went for the Ray Maker recommended Scoschse
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

What do you want to do? What are you doing now? What sort of distance / speed / endurance are you currently capable of?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

Any training is about stressing you body and allowing it to recover and then improving. Your body responds in different ways to different levels of training. For instance low level training for a relatively long period can train your body to use stored fat as an energy source, very high level training for repeated short periods can increase your top end power.

Using a heart monitor is a method of trying to ensure that during a specific training session that you are at the correct level. As these levels are generally based upon a % of your maximum heart rate or something called Functional Threshold (the maximum you can maintain for an hour) you would first need to perform some sort of test to see what this is. Before you do this it would be advisable to seek medical advice.

Below is a link detailing how to determine your a threshold HR and information about training levels.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... art-Rate-0

Having said all the above proper regimented training is quite a miserable thing to have to do. Intervals are awful and are best carried out under controlled conditions such as using an indoor turbo-trainer. If you want to get fitter for riding something like the C2C I would suggest going out and riding your bike and enjoying it. Try and do some rides with a few like minded friends or find a local group as this can help you ride a bit further and a bit faster than you would on your own. Lastly, lose a few Kgs and once a week charge up a few hills.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mattievrs wrote:Hi, I'm matt! :D

I'm new here and looking for some simple advice for an idiot........yeah that's me!

Can someone explain as simple as possible what heart training is and it's benefits please? What do I need to have to be able to do some hrt and what would I see as a benefit?

Looking to get a bit fitter for a c2c in late May time.

Many thanks

In my opinion, the main benefit to the casual cyclist of HRT training is that you will likely see improvement faster than otherwise.

HRT training is the most beneficial for cyclists who want to compete. If you want to do a C2C, just go out and ride your bike as much as you can. HRT is a bit of faff and not really necessary for touring.

Which route are you taking & in how long?

If you plan to do it in two days or more, you can get fit with a fairly simple training plan:
-ride your bike as far as you can without overdoing it two days per week (most people have limited time on weekdays; it's okay if
'as much as you can' means within 2 hours, or commuting by bike)
-ride your bike a more challenging distance one day per week (this might be easier with some goals, like a favorite tea room,
or visiting a friend)

Add a few miles to each ride every week (or at least the long ride, if you are time-limited on the other rides), until you can comfortably ride your longest C2C day +10%. If you have any decent hills within cycling range, try to include them. If you don't, consider taking the train once a month to someplace with hills for a long ride.

Joining a club & doing Sunday club runs might help.

A couple of weeks before the C2C ride your longest day +10% with all the gear you will be carrying (clothes, repair kit, toiletries, camping gear, if you are taking it, etc.)

Rest the last week or so before you set off.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
david7591

Post by david7591 »

ianrobo wrote: Just a word of advices don;t get a HR strap go for either a wrist based one (I had a Mio Velo before I bust it) which was excellent and then for the replacement went for the Ray Maker recommended Scoschse

What's wrong with a HR strap?
hamster

Post by hamster »

HR straps remain the most accurate way to measure as they pick up the electrical impulses of the heart muscle.
Wrist straps use bounced light to track the changes in blood flow under the skin. They are very susceptible to stray light, vibration and changes in hand / wrist position and are far less consistent.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

david7591 wrote:
ianrobo wrote: Just a word of advices don;t get a HR strap go for either a wrist based one (I had a Mio Velo before I bust it) which was excellent and then for the replacement went for the Ray Maker recommended Scoschse

I sometimes find a chest strap a bit tight and may restrict my breathing effort, otherwise it slips down the chest until it rests on my waist!
Other times I don't really notice it. Problem is really only under extreme efforts with a large range of chest expansion/contraction.
Sometimes may get skin reactions due to a rubbery strap trapping sweat.

hamster wrote:HR straps remain the most accurate way to measure as they pick up the electrical impulses of the heart muscle.
Wrist straps use bounced light to track the changes in blood flow under the skin. They are very susceptible to stray light, vibration and changes in hand / wrist position and are far less consistent.

Agree with this completely.

I would be happy to try for an alternative to a chest strap but from other users experience with accuracy have not tried for example wrist sensors.

In my experience the Garmin Premium straps can be unreliable, the cheaper strap seems better. We have had to return 3 Garmin Premium straps with 2 of us in my family using them. Also I have ended up clipping a non Garmin sensor onto their strap, this works well too.

Another advantage of chest straps is that the batteries last ages (many months at least), if I am right wrist sensors generally have higher power demands and this means they need recharging frequently. I don't need yet another gadget to recharge.

So chest straps aren't perfect, but so far it's what I have stuck with.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I used the Garmin and for someone like me who sweats a lot and hairy, just were pathetic. Ray Maker would never suggest one now so it becomes a cost thing doesn't it ? Especially as wrist or arm ones are far more comfortable AND as for accuracy if the chest is say 2-5bpm better really does it matter ?
Mattievrs

Post by Mattievrs »

eileithyia wrote:What do you want to do? What are you doing now? What sort of distance / speed / endurance are you currently capable of?

Hi,

Right I sadly have the chest hrm and need to stick with it really as I can't keep spending cash on variants of the same thing. I've heard hrt is a good way to help you recover quicker after climbing hills on a bike. I'm currently doing 50miles a week and climbing maybe 500m in total on a 25mile ride. I seem to average between 15-17mph over that 25 mile distance. Endurance wise I am unsure but can do the above without feeling like I'm dying.

I'm looking primarily to improve the recovery rate in terms of oxygen intake and being able to go longer at a decent heart rate and speed/climbing rate.
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Des49 wrote:
david7591 wrote:

I sometimes find a chest strap a bit tight and may restrict my breathing effort, otherwise it slips down the chest until it rests on my waist!
Other times I don't really notice it. Problem is really only under extreme efforts with a large range of chest expansion/contraction.
Sometimes may get skin reactions due to a rubbery strap trapping sweat.

hamster wrote:HR straps remain the most accurate way to measure as they pick up the electrical impulses of the heart muscle.

Agree with this completely.

I would be happy to try for an alternative to a chest strap but from other users experience with accuracy have not tried for example wrist sensors.

In my experience the Garmin Premium straps can be unreliable, the cheaper strap seems better. We have had to return 3 Garmin Premium straps with 2 of us in my family using them. Also I have ended up clipping a non Garmin sensor onto their strap, this works well too.

Another advantage of chest straps is that the batteries last ages (many months at least), if I am right wrist sensors generally have higher power demands and this means they need recharging frequently. I don't need yet another gadget to recharge.

So chest straps aren't perfect, but so far it's what I have stuck with.

What your experiences that led to you to believe that they are unreliable? Is the monitor itself different from that supplied with the basic strap, or are the difference confined to the strap itself?
hamster

Post by hamster »

I researched this as a technology consulting project for work. The unreliability (of measurement) is due to the way that heart rate is inferred.
For chest straps it is by picking up the electrical impulses directly from the heart.
Wrist straps work differently. Oxygenated blood is red, de-oxygenated is bluer. Add in a surge with each heartbeat and you can measure a skin flush. The wrist straps shine an LED at the skin and track a colour shift in the reflected light. This requires tight (and consistent) skin contact without stray light getting in. Look up pulse plethysmography if you are interested.

Now consider a cyclist, pedalling and holding handlebars. The wrist flexes and this alters the position of the wrist strap which then alters the measurement site. Add in bumps, gear changes etc and you get more variation.

The gold standard is electrical impulses, which means self adhesive patches or chest straps. If you can get a wrist solution to work for you, all well and good. The key factor is to be prepared to wear it tight.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

hamster wrote:I researched this as a technology consulting project for work. The unreliability (of measurement) is due to the way that heart rate is inferred.
For chest straps it is by picking up the electrical impulses directly from the heart.
Wrist straps work differently. Oxygenated blood is red, de-oxygenated is bluer. Add in a surge with each heartbeat and you can measure a skin flush. The wrist straps shine an LED at the skin and track a colour shift in the reflected light. This requires tight (and consistent) skin contact without stray light getting in. Look up pulse plethysmography if you are interested.

Now consider a cyclist, pedalling and holding handlebars. The wrist flexes and this alters the position of the wrist strap which then alters the measurement site. Add in bumps, gear changes etc and you get more variation.

The gold standard is electrical impulses, which means self adhesive patches or chest straps. If you can get a wrist solution to work for you, all well and good. The key factor is to be prepared to wear it tight.

Hence Hamster why the Scosche is the best option as it goes on the upper arm, under your shirt and can be pulled tight. It is the most expensive one but it is the best I have used.

(nb I am not employed by them in anyway !!)