Cycling post fracture

cthomas12Black

Cycling post fracture

Post by cthomas12Black »

I fell down the stairs in October 2016 and fractured lumbar 1 and compressed lumbar 2 and my consultant said "I had a good a break as I could have had".

I am now recovering well with physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, pilates and aqua rehabilitation classes and returned to weights classes keeping the weights low for the time being. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago and do not wish to take the medication which the NHS seems to give everyone. I have always been fit and active, Moonwalk 4 times, gym for more years than I care to remember and since retiring 3 years ago have slightly increased my bone density by more walking and weights in classes at the gym.

Added to this 4 years ago I took a tumble from my bike (overbalanced) which has severely impeded my confidence on being out on the road having suffered with panic attacks; up till then cycling was my social life, transportation and holidays including a trip to Bhutan on a CTC led holiday and I still like the thought of being 'free' but a nervous person on the road in any format is no good to other road users. Any advice on both these issues would be greatly received but certainly the cycling post-fracture issue.