Gamma nail removal

mishinator

Gamma nail removal

Post by mishinator »

I broke my hip about three years ago and had a gamma nail fitted to fix the fracture. The screw that holds the nail that fits laterally into the head of the femur is causing me pain - I can't sleep on my right side and spurts of intense cycling (like a spinning or tackling a climb at pace) causes pain the next day.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a gamma nail removed and whether the outcome was successful in relieving pain. I'd be interested to know of any complications and the length of the rehabilitation process.
Richard D

Re: Gamma nail removal

Post by Richard D »

Ive nothing to add, although my friends who have had hardware removed after breaking their femurs all swear by it. I'd like my distal pins removed (they irritate the heck out of the knee when climbing stairs), and the lag bolts in my hip can be felt when rolling over in bed, and it's not pleasant.

The IM nail, however (all 15" or so of it) can stay exactly where they put it. I've seen a YouTube video of the removal procedure, and it's a lot more brutal than the insertion (which was no cakewalk).
softlips

Post by softlips »

I've assisted in removing dozens of them. Basically you dissect down to the head, remove the locking screws then pull it out with a slide hammer. It used to be policy they were removed back then. I've seen people break them when knocked over etc and it's not a pretty sight.
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

softlips wrote:I've assisted in removing dozens of them. Basically you dissect down to the head, remove the locking screws then pull it out with a slide hammer. It used to be policy they were removed back then. I've seen people break them when knocked over etc and it's not a pretty sight.

Sorry if it seems a daft wuestion, if they pull the nail out, what happens to the void it leave behind?
softlips

Post by softlips »

JeremyB wrote:
softlips wrote:I've assisted in removing dozens of them. Basically you dissect down to the head, remove the locking screws then pull it out with a slide hammer. It used to be policy they were removed back then. I've seen people break them when knocked over etc and it's not a pretty sight.

Sorry if it seems a daft wuestion, if they pull the nail out, what happens to the void it leave behind?

Fills with blood / marrow initially then the bone reforms as normal.
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

softlips wrote:
JeremyB wrote:

Fills with blood / marrow initially then the bone reforms as normal.

Thanks.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

That's been my worry. Although my surgeon told me to bugger off when I asked about removal :(
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

Had mine taken out back in November. I had a nail from knee to ankle and a plate removed from my ankle. They had been in there 5 years and, so far, I’m glad they are gone. Only 2 months after the op I can get down on to my knees, something I have been unable to do since it was fitted. And my ankle feels normal again. Sure my knee and ankle are still a bit stiff and scaring feels sore, but it’s getting better by the day.