The need for exertion

Malky 1422

Re: The need for exertion

Post by Malky 1422 »

al_yrpal wrote:Just a bit of exertion works wonders, its not necessary to do lots of miles to get fit and stay fit IME. This time of year with unpleasant weather I find a ten mile ride three times a week is enough to stay fit as long as it includes a couple of decent hills of 5 to 10 minutes climbing. Staying in a higher gear than is comfortable steps up exertion too. When the weather relents its then easy to do 50 to 70 mile days loaded without problems.

Al

I totally agree with this Al. I have been off the bike for 12 months due to work, moving to the Isle of Wight etc. My contract ended just before Xmas so I am getting back into riding. I did a couple of 10/15 mile rides over 2 weeks, then last Saturday I went out and did 42 miles felt OK but didnt realise what distance I had covered. Well its proved to be too much at once, Im aching all over, so gently does it and build up slowly. Then as you point out the longer distances are no problem come the better weather. Especially for us older guys and gals , Im 64 now.