Cycling for fitness

ed_phelan

Re: Cycling for fitness

Post by ed_phelan »

Great to hear that you are getting the cycling bug! For me, personally, I much prefer to cycle solo and take in the landscape around me and get away from it all...it really is so therapeutic.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

I took up cycling again last year at 54, its not a flat bar but it is a Sportive so more relaxed and the largest frame so don't have to raise the seat so much.

I have a couple of dodgy bits in my lower back and a disc out in my neck, the neck element is OK due to the sportive posture and I have found that my back is actually really improving with the cycling.

I looked at the improving programme on British Cycling and it advised to keep the heart rate down but up the cadence, I was sceptical but found I had more left in the tank to tackle the later hills and my average time improved. So it is all about pacing yourself

Last Sunday I did a training group ride for a local event of 50 miles and we did 31 miles, it was really good in that in a group you seem to get a higher speed with not so much effort. It was really enjoyable, not too bunched up and the slipstreaming did help. My only issue was hills in the latter half, I nearly got off and walked as it wold have been quicker!

I have found that once I started it regularly my gym sessions improved too by about 10 or 15%. The only downside is the bug, want new wheels, want new this that and the other and it all costs, but you don't have to buy all the most expensive kit, just get out and enjoy it and any set up help you can get is always good
hamster

Post by hamster »

Gannet wrote:I have found that once I started it regularly my gym sessions improved too by about 10 or 15%. The only downside is the bug, want new wheels, want new this that and the other and it all costs, but you don't have to buy all the most expensive kit, just get out and enjoy it and any set up help you can get is always good

Well done! :D

Remember that upgrading the engine has a much bigger effect than upgrading the bike. £500 spent on trianing and advice will make you way faster than new wheels! It's just that the advertising in bike mags is paid largely by kit companies, not gyms and trainers! In our consumerist culture it's also tempting to think you can buy speed and endurance, rather than earn it through training.