Hip replacement

fausto copy

Re: Hip replacement

Post by fausto copy »

That's really great news.
I thought it was going to be into early next year before your op.
Things certainly happen a lot quicker your side of the border.
Delighted all is going well; don't push it too much mate, that's another one of the hard bits.

fausto.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:I wasn't fishing for complements but being a vain old so and so I'll take what's offered :D
My update was more to document my experience with the treatment and recovery and follow up as I progress in recover in the hope it may be valuable to other cyclists who,like me,approach the not inconsiderable event with more than little trepidation from their cycling perspective.

Should this report perhaps be transferred to *a positive thread*? :wink: :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I wasn't fishing for complements but being a vain old so and so I'll take what's offered :D
My update was more to document my experience with the treatment and recovery and follow up as I progress in recover in the hope it may be valuable to other cyclists who,like me,approach the not inconsiderable event with more than little trepidation from their cycling perspective.

Should this report perhaps be transferred to *a positive thread*? :wink: :wink:

I'll let you know in the coming months :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
georgew

Post by georgew »

All good to hear and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Three week up date:-
I'm quite surprised with my recover,I'm walking 500 to 700m three or four times a day now with one elbow crutch,which is a bit of an ornament if I'm
honest, and comfortably walking unaided around the house and all without a limp which was quite pronounced before.
There's no pain in the joint itself,which is a blessing as before it could be quite distracting,there's some muscular pain which isn't much to complain about considering the musuclar trauma the hip area must go through during the operation,but I do get a bit of tightness down the front of the thigh,and slight pulling in the groin lower stomach on the operated side.
The most pain I experience is if I stand about chatting to much as I tend to do when neighbours ask how I'm doing.
I've also been treating the bruising,which has been quite colourful in a strangely artistic way,with a bag frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel,good stuff :D .
One thing that's been driving me up the wall is where the waterproof dressing the hospital apply over the stitches,when it and the stitches were removed last week it left a dressing shaped 40cm red raised welt and it itched like mad :x ,I could've joyfully scratched it raw,anyway I found Eurax cream h-e-a-v-e-n,ahhhhhhh :D
Well I'm very pleased with progress so far :D :D :D
W H Auden
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Thanks for the update,

it gives us waiting for our OP an insight into what will happen after the OP and during recovery. I am glad everything is going okay for you and it sounds like you are becoming more mobile, take care though, my surgeon says it is best to not push recovery as it can cause problems and possible dislocation of the new hip, but like you I will be wanting to get mobile quickly again so I can make up for the time I not been able to exercise properly and I know I will miss my bike rides until I am able to ride again.

Please update your progress in the future as you recover, and take care.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FREDO wrote:Thanks for the update,

it gives us waiting for our OP an insight into what will happen after the OP and during recovery. I am glad everything is going okay for you and it sounds like you are becoming more mobile, take care though, my surgeon says it is best to not push recovery as it can cause problems and possible dislocation of the new hip, but like you I will be wanting to get mobile quickly again so I can make up for the time I not been able to exercise properly and I know I will miss my bike rides until I am able to ride again.

Please update your progress in the future as you recover, and take care.

I've tried to be gentle in exercising and deliberately not pushed anything but mainly done what I've felt comfortable with.
The chances of dislocation AIUI and have been instructed on, are in the initial stages of recover as the musculature recovers and strengthens around the new joint and is in danger of happening only if certain procedure isn't followed such as twisting the foot in or outward,extending the knee toward the torso past 90 degrees,or swinging the leg out sideways too far.
Walking within a comfortable distance was highly recommend by physios and in fact I phoned in earlier in the week to ask if they thought I was over doing it,the answer was keep walking as long as you feel comfortable with it,initial exercise will make for easier and a stronger joint in the long run.
It's also been stressed to me that not everyone is the same but the key words are "do what you feel comfortable with"
I'm following their advise :D
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Glad all is going well and hope you are OK with the Eurax cream, which does tend to stop itching but stinks to high heaven and tends to burn my sensitive skin.
I can recommend Dermol cream, which is very soothing and I find a bit more healing. It's also available as Dermol 500 lotion.
Available from Boots and most probably most other pharmacies.
Keep up the good work,
fausto.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:Glad all is going well and hope you are OK with the Eurax cream, which does tend to stop itching but stinks to high heaven and tends to burn my sensitive skin.
I can recommend Dermol cream, which is very soothing and I find a bit more healing. It's also available as Dermol 500 lotion.
Available from Boots and most probably most other pharmacies.
Keep up the good work,
fausto.

Since I post that about Eurax I've begun using Conotrane anti septic cream and taking anti histamine tablets
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Six week update.
I'm walking like a gud'un,with all swelling a distant past and scar healed up nicely,though I am experiencing some pain the worst being what feels like a groin strain which comes when I'm on my feet too long and similarly I sometimes get a pain in the sitbone area that goes off with walking.
Other than that it's pretty much OK,but I have to remind myself it's still early days yet.Anyway I see the consultant on Monday so we'll see what he says about my progress
W H Auden
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

reohn2 wrote:After about 5 years of putting up with the pain,and realising it's affecting my life to a large degree,unable to walk very far and lopsided at that :? ,cycling less and less,I got to the stage where I can't stand it anymore.
Anyway to cut a long one short(heres hoping they don't :? :shock: ),I saw the consultant today,who reckons I'm fit,active,not overweight(despite me insisting I'm carrying 6kg),with 'good nice big bones' and the stage is set(within 18 weeks)for some metal and plastic.
I know it's Hobson's choice but tell me I've nothing to worry about :?

I had my left hip replaced a couple of years ago and may soon need the right one doing. It certainly took away the hip pain and made me more able. I get the occasional twinge of pain still but that soon goes and is not regular. Owing to other health problems I have changed to a semi-recumbent trike recently and had to learn to use a whole new muscle set but the hip has not been a problem.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

canoesailor wrote:I had my left hip replaced a couple of years ago and may soon need the right one doing. It certainly took away the hip pain and made me more able. I get the occasional twinge of pain still but that soon goes and is not regular. Owing to other health problems I have changed to a semi-recumbent trike recently and had to learn to use a whole new muscle set but the hip has not been a problem.

I'm at 11 weeks on Tuesday next and still amazed at my progress,I've ridden the bike a couple of times in the last two weeks but only for short rides and as I've barely ridden for about 5months really felt it,along with the 7kg I've put on as a result of lack of exercise :( .
I'm getting very little pain,just the odd time when I've been on my feet too long,eg;loitering whilst shopping with Mrs R2 :? .
I'm quite surprised how agile I've become again :D

PS,I'll not be riding a trike of any description unless forced to,me and trikes don't mix :wink:
W H Auden
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

reohn2 wrote:
canoesailor wrote:I had my left hip replaced a couple of years ago and may soon need the right one doing. It certainly took away the hip pain and made me more able. I get the occasional twinge of pain still but that soon goes and is not regular. Owing to other health problems I have changed to a semi-recumbent trike recently and had to learn to use a whole new muscle set but the hip has not been a problem.

I'm at 11 weeks on Tuesday next and still amazed at my progress,I've ridden the bike a couple of times in the last two weeks but only for short rides and as I've barely ridden for about 5months really felt it,along with the 7kg I've put on as a result of lack of exercise :( .
I'm getting very little pain,just the odd time when I've been on my feet too long,eg;loitering whilst shopping with Mrs R2 :? .
I'm quite surprised how agile I've become again :D

PS,I'll not be riding a trike of any description unless forced to,me and trikes don't mix :wink:

recumbent trikes are a revelation when you find you can go as slow as you want without putting your feet down or losing balance and you can stop at traffic lights without putting your feet down. You can also go as fast as bikes, if not faster. They are slower uphill, but you win some you lose some. finally they dont look anything like the "old folks" (sit up and beg) trikes and they always attract attention.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

canoesailor wrote:recumbent trikes are a revelation when you find you can go as slow as you want without putting your feet down or losing balance and you can stop at traffic lights without putting your feet down. You can also go as fast as bikes, if not faster. They are slower uphill, but you win some you lose some. finally they dont look anything like the "old folks" (sit up and beg) trikes and they always attract attention.

For me their minuses by far out weigh their plusses and thats why I won't be buying or riding one.
If 'bent trikes suite your cycling needs I'm happy for you,but they're not for me.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Its now all but four months since my boinicness came into being and I can only say GREAT! The joint feels like part of me and articulation is still improving thought not completely as much as the other yet.Well pleased with the result :D

There is a problem though I have developed a hernia,which is quite painful at times and I have to go for a scan on it later in the month,it's on the same side as the new hip,they say it isn't a result of the operation though it wasnt there before and I haven't been doing any manual labour as that equates to work and I've become allergic to that :?
Anyway I'm hoping for a repair soon,it'll probably need a tyre boot putting in :shock:
W H Auden