Hip replacement

Vorpal

Re: Hip replacement

Post by Vorpal »

Glad to hear the hip is doing well. Sorry to hear about the hernia. I hope they sort it out soon for you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

reohn2 wrote:Its now all but four months since my boinicness came into being and I can only say GREAT! The joint feels like part of me and articulation is still improving thought not completely as much as the other yet.Well pleased with the result :D

There is a problem though I have developed a hernia,which is quite painful at times and I have to go for a scan on it later in the month,it's on the same side as the new hip,they say it isn't a result of the operation though it wasnt there before and I haven't been doing any manual labour as that equates to work and I've become allergic to that :?
Anyway I'm hoping for a repair soon,it'll probably need a tyre boot putting in :shock:

Hello R2
My experience sounds similar to yours, I've had both hips replaced in the last 3 yrs,(I'm now 68) and both at Wrightington who I cannot praise highly enough.
Started rehab after 3wks of 10 mins daily on the static bike..12 weeks on ventured very gingerly onto the road for 5mls slowly building up the miles
2 years on I'm try to do 60-70mls a week .
What I wanted to post is that I also developed an inguinal hernia 12 months ago which my GP puts down to over exertion on uphill out of the saddle efforts and I think he's right as thats when it pops out.
His advice is what they call 'watchful waiting' and to stay in the saddle as much as possible..apparentely as long as you can push the hernia back in your ok. I' had a hernia on my other groin operated on about 10 yrs ago and recall it wasn't pleasant,worst of all I was off the bike for 6-12 weeks.
Have you had yours done and was it a success.
Good luck.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I'm due a hip replacement later this year. I'm more concerned about being able to complete the two mile round trip
to work (walking) when I've recovered. When I had my first hip replacement in 2012 I was off work for 3 months.

Looking forward to the weight loss that occurs after taking the Fragmin injections*. :wink:

*Results in loss of appetite for me.
Last edited by De Sisti on 9 Jan 2018, 5:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carpediem wrote:Hello R2
My experience sounds similar to yours, I've had both hips replaced in the last 3 yrs,(I'm now 68) and both at Wrightington who I cannot praise highly enough.
Started rehab after 3wks of 10 mins daily on the static bike..12 weeks on ventured very gingerly onto the road for 5mls slowly building up the miles
What I wanted to post is that I also developed an inguinal hernia 12 months ago which my GP puts down to over exertion on uphill out of the saddle efforts and I think he's right as thats when it pops out.
His advice is what they call 'watchful waiting' and to stay in the saddle as much as possible..apparentely as long as you can push the hernia back in your ok. I' had a hernia on my other groin operated on about 10 yrs ago and recall it wasn't pleasant,worst of all I was off the bike for 6-12 weeks.
Good luck.

I'm still waiting for the hernia opertion :(
I can push it back in,and it only troubles me if I'm on my feet too long stood about,walking I'm OK but the pain does nag.
Cycling I rarely get out of the saddle preferring to twiddle sat in, never been much of a grinder.
TBH my enthusiasm for cycling has diminished since the hip op and I think it's mainly fear of falling,the past six months has been a difficult time for me for various reasons unconnected,and I'm finding that as a carer for my wife I worry about what would happen if I wasn't able bodied,which is strange as I've never thought that way before.
I've even considered selling my bikes and just keeping the Circe tandem for gentle jaunts on cyclepath,etc,but cant really bring myself o close a dor on somehing thats been a such a big part of my life for so long I've ridden little for 12months or more.Strange times.
The hip operation has been a success though,and I couldn't be more happy with the recovery and lack of pain now,power and articulation are good too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

reohn2 wrote:
Carpediem wrote:Hello R2
Good luck.

I'm still waiting for the hernia opertion :(
I can push it back in,and it only troubles me if I'm on my feet too long stood about,walking I'm OK but the pain does nag.
Cycling I rarely get out of the saddle preferring to twiddle sat in, never been much of a grinder.
TBH my enthusiasm for cycling has diminished since the hip op and I think it's mainly fear of falling,the past six months has been a difficult time for me for various reasons unconnected,and I'm finding that as a carer for my wife I worry about what would happen if I wasn't able bodied,which is strange as I've never thought that way before.
I've even considered selling my bikes and just keeping the Circe tandem for gentle jaunts on cyclepath,etc,but cant really bring myself o close a dor on somehing thats been a such a big part of my life for so long I've ridden little for 12months or more.Strange times.
The hip operation has been a success though,and I couldn't be more happy with the recovery and lack of pain now,power and articulation are good too.

Sorry to hear about your wife,it must be tough going having to care for her,but you should make some 'me' time for your own well being.
I cared for my mum for a time many years ago,and it was not easy.
As to worrying about falling and damaging your new hip, I wouldn't ..I say this through experience having had 2 low speed falls both on cycle paths avoiding dogs and both of which I landed on my new hip. As I lay on the ground all I could think was omg hope I haven't damaged my hip,but all I had was a few days of bruising around the joint..but what it did prove to me was what my surgeon told me post op...quote "your prosthetic joint is stronger than the original hip"so I now just go out and ride and don't worry about it, but obviously I am very careful and never take any unnecessary chances,especially on the descents.
I don't think I could live without cycling,making the low risks a reasonable trade off IMO.
Seeing my GP next week about the hernia.
Good luck.
The poster waiting for their hip op..get it done asap,it's a life changer..one bit of advice though..check out your surgeons cv to make sure they have a good success rate,and ask for the cemented joint,it apparentely lasts longer.
My biggest dissappointment is that I'm not as fast as pre op,but you do lose about 10-20% muscle strength where they make the incision and through muscle wastage..on the plus side you can walk and cycle again which was impossible before the op.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

RJ very pleased for you that the hip is doing well.
You have years of activity ahead!
A new lease!

Regarding the hernia, I had one repaired several years ago. Patch method. It was quite small, iguinal.
It has been a total success and never bothers me at all.
I was advised to get it done sooner rather than later by a surgeon (who I happened to work for) so I did.

After the "procedure" I was pretty sore for a week to ten days though.

You will find a caring role difficult or impossible for a bit.
But three weeks afterwards I was laying 6" concrete blocks again.

Wishing you well.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

reohn2 wrote:Three week up date:-
I'm quite surprised with my recover,I'm walking 500 to 700m three or four times a day now with one elbow crutch,which is a bit of an ornament if I'm
honest, and comfortably walking unaided around the house and all without a limp which was quite pronounced before.

How long was it before you went back into work?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

De Sisti wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Three week up date:-
I'm quite surprised with my recover,I'm walking 500 to 700m three or four times a day now with one elbow crutch,which is a bit of an ornament if I'm
honest, and comfortably walking unaided around the house and all without a limp which was quite pronounced before.

How long was it before you went back into work?

Sorry to disappoint,but I'm retired :D .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden