Hip replacement

reohn2

Hip replacement

Post by reohn2 »

After about 5 years of putting up with the pain,and realising it's affecting my life to a large degree,unable to walk very far and lopsided at that :? ,cycling less and less,I got to the stage where I can't stand it anymore.
Anyway to cut a long one short(heres hoping they don't :? :shock: ),I saw the consultant today,who reckons I'm fit,active,not overweight(despite me insisting I'm carrying 6kg),with 'good nice big bones' and the stage is set(within 18 weeks)for some metal and plastic.
I know it's Hobson's choice but tell me I've nothing to worry about :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Re: Hip replacement

Post by Mike Sales »

In spite of an infection which needed antibiotics delivered to the heart and a second prosthesis, I have no regrets. I have negligible pain, I am back on my bike.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

I was chatting to someone the other week about this.
Their wife had a hip replaced and was back home the same day.
Was mobile the next day (very limited obviously, but not bed ridden).
I can't remember how quickly she was walking up the stairs again, but generally I was amazed at how quick the recovery was.

They seem to have got better at it.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

My sister who is in her early 60's has had both hips replaced. After recovery from the surgery she is back to cycling with no problems, though I think she has problems swinging her leg over the bike, now prefering to use her step-through Dahon.

You should be fine
geomannie
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

My neighbour, lifelong farmer, at the age of 60, was in terrible pain with, in particular, one of his hips.
Stocky, fit, hard man, but not a cyclist.

Now this is a man who detests confined spaces and has a serious fear of needles, doctors etc.
A man that doesn't even go to the dentist unless he absolutely has to!

His pain had become so bad ("like a knife going in") that he could almost fall over as the hip would give way on him. He could only walk with a stick.
He finally gave in and found himself in the ward waiting to have it done.
I visited him.
He told me he would run out, if he could have done, he was so totally petrified of the whole thing!

Two days later he was out of the bed, and home again by the fire, in 3 or 4.
Needed some time to fully heal, 6 weeks of going steady etc.
Then he told me "I just don't know what I was worried about. I should have had it done years ago".

Three years later the other one went, and he went in straight away, as soon as he could Similar recovery time.

Both ops a total success. No infections (he has a well developed immune system I guess).
He now rides about on his quad bike (sidesaddle) and strides around the hills ( and pubs!) like a young man. He also looks so much better free of the pain.
Although one thing he is not allowed to do is ride his horse!!
It has literally made a new man of him.
Hope that helps.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have both my own hips still working....I feel quite left out in my cycling group, they all seem to set the airport metal detectors off.
One lass had her second hip replacement on Saturday, home on Sunday, expects to fly to Hungary for a tour in May. Last summer she did a 125 mile day with me from Harrogate, including Tan Hill, Buttertubs, Grinton Moor with one prosthetic hip, I don't expect two will slow her down at all.
She took a cancellation in order to get done early, so she can ride this summer. (The lady is not for turning)
rjb

Post by rjb »

geomannie wrote:My sister who is in her early 60's has had both hips replaced. After recovery from the surgery she is back to cycling with no problems, though I think she has problems swinging her leg over the bike, now prefering to use her step-through Dahon.

You should be fine

This reminded me of when i was visiting my mates cycle shop. We heard this banging on the door but it never opened despite the come on in reply. Eventually we went to investigate and an elderly chap was on his bike by the entrance door. He had had a hip replacement a week previously and was unable to swing his leg over the saddle to dismount. Getting on and riding was no problem for him. Best of luck Reohn, just take the missus with you to give you a hand. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ mobile
I'm not concerned about the operation,more about failure,even though I know it has a 95%+ success rate.
I worry :?
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Was just trying to help.
A smile a day...and all that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Was just trying to help.
A smile a day...and all that.

I appreciate it :D
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

That's nice.
After all I could have told you about my other neighbour.
The one that only has one leg now...

Only joking.
You will be just fine.
The pain ( of the worn hip) goes immediately apparently.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

As a retired hospital physio, I reckon I've seen my share of hip replacements. I don't think surgery should ever be a casual choice, but your timing is exactly right: when you can't do the things that matter to you it's time to consult a surgeon. I've lost track of the number of people who've said "I wish I'd had it done years ago."

There's no such thing as 100% safe surgery, but you're probably at far greater risk for 'complications' when you cross the street or ride your bike with your reaction times limited by pain than you are from undergoing a hip replacement.

Make sure your surgeon and your rehab therapist know that cycling and walking are very important to you — it will help them to choose the best procedure, hardware, and rehab program to get you back to the life you're missing right now.

And don't forget to send us a note when you're back on your bike. :wink:
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

Had my left one done just 4 years ago when I was 65. They won't let you out until you can manage stairs, I came home the 3rd day, was very particular about doing the given exercises and by the end of the first week I was walking without a stick. Back on the bike in 6 weeks and have done about 10,000 miles since then. The only " problem " I have is that I am always conscious that I sit on a lump on the left. Can't understand that, it must be the same size and shape as the bone was, it's not painful though. Hope it all goes well for you, a really wonderful operation.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.

Once I've had it done I'll update the thread and keep people informed of progress.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Good luck with it! I hope that, having decided to do it, you don't have to wait too long.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom