Pancake day 365

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Pancake day 365

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love pancakes. I make some every week and they keep for a few days. They are an ideal food for cycling. I use wholemeal wheat flour, rye flour, oatmeal, groats.

Every day is pancake day :P
Why do you love pancakes?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 26 Dec 2019, 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Re: Pancake day 365

Post by landsurfer »

Jules makes the scotch type but with sultanas and lemon juice ..... your right 365 !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
TBurrow

Post by TBurrow »

I'm a fan of blueberry and banana pancakes, and you're so right... pancake day is just an excuse to eat more than normal aha!
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

I'm a vegan and my children are allergic to eggs so my pancakes are egg and dairy free. My 2 year old son asks from them every saturday
ed_phelan

Post by ed_phelan »

Any chance of you posting up a recipe?! :D :D
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

Me??
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Doing pancakes again today

Wholemeal flour milk egg groats oatmeal
Made the mix quite watery, the oatmeal swells up and the pancakes are light and crispy
They keep several days and can be warmed up in the microwave

The great thing for me is buying the ingredients and processing them myself
Saves money maybe but takes time

If one buys even expensive wholemeal bread, one just does not know how it was made
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've been threatening to inflict Masala Dosa (South Indian vegan pancakes stuffed with spicy potato) on the family for some time now - but don't know whether I dare! Anyone who's tried it in a good (or not-so-good) Indian restaurant will know that there are good and bad examples!

It's one of the trickiest and most demanding of all forms of Indian cuisine - one of our recipes (in the Prashad book) advises allowing three days to make them! Making pancakes out of ground-up urad dal and idli rice sounds a bit daunting, so I may fall back on that old staple, gram flour - readily obtainable in most supermarkets!

When we're not 'doing' vegan, our pancake batter is extremely simple: 4oz (110 g) plain flour, 1 egg, ½ pint (280ml) milk, pinch of salt. Beat the egg into the flour then gradually stir in the milk trying to avoid lumps. Leave the batter to stand for at least ½ hour before cooking. Should make five decent-sized pancakes.

Wholemeal flour would be an excellent and healthy alternative, but it doesn't appear to work so well.

Our favourite stuffing for savoury pancakes is a chilli-tomato-red-kidney-bean mixture - basically chilli-con-carne without the meat (you can use a meat version if you prefer). Two pancakes generously stuffed with the mixture make a substantial meal.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Three days to make.. illustrates how different life is or was over there :wink:
I think you need to practice, a good project

I use wholemeal flour only and leave the mix for a few hours, often one has to add more water then so it is not thick like porridge and can be poured
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rossco8854 wrote:I'm a vegan and my children are allergic to eggs so my pancakes are egg and dairy free. My 2 year old son asks from them every saturday

What do you use instead? I thought eggs were *necessary* but I do use water, not just milk
Diolch
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

Plain flour
Caster sugar
Baking powder 2 teaspoons
Salt
Oat milk
Vegetable oil

Enjoy :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Egg milk water wholemeal wheat flour fine oats oatmeal groats (no idea of quantities)
Mixed and left to stand awhile, the mix thickens, add more water

Taking pancake sandwiches with me tomorrow, hope to do 60 km, longest ride of the year so far

Pancakes for tea tonight and tomorrow too of course
Si

Post by Si »

Galettes for me, filled with madras :-)
661-Pete

Re: Pancake day today!

Post by 661-Pete »

It's that time of year again, so *bump*!

Well, we had our first attempt at Masala Dosa (mentioned above: Indian pancakes stuffed with spicy potato mix) this evening. It came off reasonably well, we found a somewhat simpler recipe than the Prashad one.

Gram Flour ("Koh-i-noor Besan" brand, most supermarkets) seems to work very well for vegan pancakes, despite my earlier misgivings. Not really any more tricky than flour/egg/milk pancakes. The exact quantities will partly depend on the size of your frying pan, but I would say, for 10" (25cm) diameter pancakes, allow 25-30gm of gram flour to 50-60ml water, per pancake - and allow two pancakes per person for a main course. Just whisk up the batter with a pinch of salt (and a pinch of chilli powder, if liked) until smooth, then leave to stand for 1/2 hour before frying. I use only a small drop of oil in the pan, and I do not toss the pancakes, I merely flip them (can't afford accidents! :oops: ).

Of course if you're not vegan, you can always go back to flour/egg/milk batter instead. I think the gram flour ones have slightly more flavour.

There are many different recipes for the stuffing, choose one that suits you. We found the potato filling a bit dry, so a moist relish as a side is a good idea.

Happy eating!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

It's rather telling that while people from New Orleans to Rio to Berlin are celebrating Mardi Gras/Fasching/Carnival with fun & frolic, the British are chomping on a humble pancake.
Have we got time for another cuppa?