Morale buster

MarcusT

Morale buster

Post by MarcusT »

So, a great day was coming out. And after a month of converting my MTB to a touring bike, I was anxious to get out to test and tweak the bike. I loaded up the panniers and headed out. I had used my trainer over the months, but nothing too heavy, just to help break in the new Brooks saddle. I thought I had a good ride, just had to walk up a couple of the steeper hills and completed about 40 km. Feeling confident in the home stretch, crossing a bridge then the last 1km uphill. On the bridge there were 4 riders admiring the view, older folks, I said hello, they didn't reply. No problem, maybe they're foreigners or not experienced with cyclist etiquette. I continued on to tackle the climb. The legs were burning at this point, but nothing too painful. Afterall, I packed about 12 kgs on the bike. Then, looking in my mirror, I see the old folks catching up on me. I thought, I must be in too low a gear, so I kicked it up a notch.. I pushed it and started to sweat, then before I realized it, they passed me. WHAT??? I realize, I was a little heavy after the winter, but not to have 60 somethings (years) pass me like that. Then as the last bike passed me I saw that they were riding E-bikes.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Cyril Haearn

Re: Morale buster

Post by Cyril Haearn »

They were n o t cyclists, you should be proud :P and smug because you used only your muscles
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Know the feeling, one all at the moment, if you were on the flat you would probably have kept up.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 27 Feb 2017, 12:48am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Old indeed! Pah!.....from somebody who walks up hills? :wink:
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Yes, Colin, but you should see how I make up for it coming down the other side. :lol:
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
BennettH

Post by BennettH »

Should be good for morale. Keep up all the hard work, and when you are 60, pass a guy your current age... But this time, without an electric bike!

Really you should be proud that the work you are putting in now might make you more physically able in your later years. (Unlike those aforementioned sexagenarians).

Keep up the hard work, and you will drop those kgs.