Post by landsurfer »

“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: FATAL ACCIDENT TO CYCLIST INSIDE HALFORDS

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You would never expect that and many have died even when they were stationary on bike and hit hard ground, then head hitting.

That could of happened in car park

I would only add that the floor surface in shop would not be ideal place for testing bike if it was vinyl.
I expect a no riding in store would be a good place to start.
Sad.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I would only add that the floor surface in shop would not be ideal place for testing bike if it was vinyl.
Sad.

Very sad news.

Their floors are typically vinyl tiles and pretty slippy (some of my boots don't grip it well), with as many bins on the corners and old tat and information brochures hanging off the shelves as they can fit - shelves that have tons of hard corners... and given what I've seen of Half-odds's gear adjustments, I wouldn't trust a bike they'd worked on enough to test-ride in that environment!

The flaming helmet thing is a huge red herring but I guess it'll help them flog a few more helmets - at least until someone wearing one nuts a shelf end and comes to a similar end. Why wasn't the failure to provide first aid for someone who just smacked their head criticised more? If they'd done that and maybe called an ambulance, maybe the brain haemorrhage would have been detected.

I agree with NA - a better response would be to allow customers to test-ride the bikes in part of the car park - maybe the same bit they have their "we fit" bays in?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Halfords car park is about the most dangerous place you could choose to test ride, I'd have thought.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Halfords car park is about the most dangerous place you could choose to test ride, I'd have thought.

10mph limit and usually pretty empty - just have to dodge the potholes! http://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.74 ... .28p,1.66z
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bez

Post by Bez »

It's baffling that they'd suggest riding bikes in the store. Aside from any issues with slippery floors, tight corners, etc, stores tend to have people wandering around looking at things, kids running about, etc, mostly obscured from view by shelving.

And then failing to have a first aider seems the other key failing.

If the poor chap had fractured his elbow would they be suggesting elbow pads for test rides?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Halfords car park is about the most dangerous place you could choose to test ride, I'd have thought.

10mph limit and usually pretty empty - just have to dodge the potholes! http://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.74 ... .28p,1.66z

We'll not get into a Halfolds store Streetview war :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Coroner's report to prevent future deaths.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My son has test ridden loads of Halfords bikes. We often get him to try some out to gauge how close he really is to the next size up. He's ridden bikes he's really a bit too small for and never came a cropper. I've seen others ride bikes in store. I suspect it's more to do with the individual than the floor surface but that's my view. However we weren't there so it's second guessing what really happened. It's a rare incident I reckon though. To make knee jerk helmet comments on one such case is a bit much but par for the course with media.

What's key is the head injury was obvious (cut on forehead) which even my outdated first aid training would have me giving the guy concussion based warnings. I'm sure a head injury should result in ambulance or the store first aider(s) getting a disclaimer that they recommended ambulance or hospital treatment. I've had enough head knocks over the years to know the medical concussion warning signs A&E sends you home with to recognise risks (probably explains a lot you might say).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:Coroner's report to prevent future deaths.

Very interesting. There's an unwarranted assumption that helmets must be warn.

It includes no explanation of what caused the crash, but as it was in the shop, the full health and safety procedure should have been followed (risk assessment etc.) I presume the Halfords head honcho must have replied in a timely manner and we don't know what was said. I'll guess at no indoors test rides and then if anybody is killed outside, it will amount to a traffic accident beyond the remit of HSE. That raises the question of why so many deaths are not subject to the heath and safety regime.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
You would never expect that and many have died even when they were stationary on bike and hit hard ground, then head hitting.

That could of happened in car park

I would only add that the floor surface in shop would not be ideal place for testing bike if it was vinyl.
Sad.

Ironically, had the same person slipped on a wet floor, there would be no helmet bleating.......Usual hypocrisy
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I assume you mean Helmet from the coroner's report.

I see a in store riding area a bit of a non starter.
They are on a hiding to hell if they suggest riding outside, they will still be blamed with words like riding outside Halfords on their bike.

I would put it down to freak accident unless stats show falls/collisions in all retail stores have some merit to peruse..........

I don't get that riding a bike first time a short distance (unless you are experienced rider maybe) will tell any one about a bike apart from if its to big / small which store staff should be trained in first?

I also see that most of the cyclist I meet head on, on off road cycle paths, also drive cars firstly in life judging by the more than fifty percent of them are on wrong side on blind corners :evil:

For me it was transport with little money also independence, or stay at home.
Today for the early retired well off its a novelty like tread mills to pretend that you care about your health when its already to late to change habits of a life time.
If I wasn't poor all my life then I can see myself like them.

Ban cars for periods / areas for a time or for good and they then become a necessity.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I assume you mean Helmet from the coroner's report.

I see a in store riding area a bit of a non starter.
They are on a hiding to hell if they suggest riding outside, they will still be blamed with words like riding outside Halfords on their bike.

I would put it down to freak accident unless stats show falls/collisions in all retail stores have some merit to peruse..........

I don't get that riding a bike first time a short distance (unless you are experienced rider maybe) will tell any one about a bike apart from if its to big / small which store staff should be trained in first?

I also see that most of the cyclist I meet head on, on off road cycle paths, also drive cars firstly in life judging by the more than fifty percent of them are on wrong side on blind corners :evil:

For me it was transport with little money also independence, or stay at home.
Today for the early retired well off its a novelty like tread mills to pretend that you care about your health when its already to late to change habits of a life time.
If I wasn't poor all my life then I can see myself like them.

Ban cars for periods / areas for a time or for good and they then become a necessity.

This was a low impact, effectively from standing. height so the injury would be similar if there was a slip and fall on the same floor. IT is just the classic, cyclist should wear a helmet, any other shopper and there wouldn't have been a mouse's cough about helmets.

I don't know enough about the victim in this case to be able to comment on his experience or abilities. I know some experienced cyclists who have taken difficult gear problems to a shop.

Cycling on a vinyl floor, should be obviously dodgy.

As to accidents in stores. they are infrequent, but often fatal from falls, display collapses and other causes.Cycle based accidents are rarer
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sorry I was forgetting that gear selection was the reason for the cyclist in store riding, my bad.

In that case store personal should road test the bike if they are fixing it!
That what I did on customers bikes, should be in coroners report for sure.

"See how it goes" remarks was a closing after fixing bikes for my customers, moreover to reassure them that it was fixed.
But I see Halfords staff from the same clic as Sainburys home delivery drivers, you know the type.
Poor bloke no one would expect that, and no I wouldn't dream in a million years that I would need my lid.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bez wrote:It's baffling that they'd suggest riding bikes in the store. Aside from any issues with slippery floors, tight corners, etc, stores tend to have people wandering around looking at things, kids running about, etc, mostly obscured from view by shelving.

And then failing to have a first aider seems the other key failing.

The victim turned down an offer of help.

As for the riding in the store, it's common practice. There is often enough space around the bikes to ride around the bike displays. I'm not sure the same can be said of riding to the till.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom