Yay for cycling.

Grarea

Yay for cycling.

Post by Grarea »

I just wanted to tell someone and I know you lot will appreciate it.
Nobody else is bothered.

I am struggling quite bad trying to get comfortable on the bike,

BUT
ignoring that, because it will eventually get worked out.
(Although, boy I wish I could go further than two miles without discomfort)

I am really enjoying being back on the bike again.
I have missed it so much.

It makes me smile, burns off a bunch of that stress that builds up.
Is fun sneaking up and making the Jays jump.
Exploring the local lanes better than walking.

Anyway, I have a little loop I do. It wasn't very long ago that a couple of miles on the nearly flat was hard work.
Just kept at it little and often (You can eat an elephant a forkful at a time).
I made sure I put really low gears on the bike.
Then I stepped up to this loop with the hill. I almost had heart attack the first time.
Struggled up it in first, but I made it.

Keep going keep going, little bit little bit little bit.
Little and often.

Anyway, when I put a padded saddle on, I can cope with more than 4 miles and did 20 miles split up into three lots the other day,
(while trying different settings on the bike).
I also did a 12 mile ride recently until the discomfort stopped me. I have much more in the legs.
And none of it is flat.

Anyway, I went up my little hill today, thought I would try and push up it in third.
I was all smiles when I made it.
Then I realised I was in FIFTH!!!!
I was so pleased. :D

I can't wait to be able to sit on the bike and get to do a few miles.

Also, over the period of the last year, I have lost about 12kg.
Anyway, I am loving it and thanks for the help you have all given me so far. It is much appreciated.

Yay for cycling.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Yay for cycling.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We have We love Wales, We love Ireland

Of course we ALL love cycling!

:P
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1.

Well done! :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I too must say a big yes to cycling, having previously been a keen walker.
Started cycling in earnest last October having been sidelined for the last two years with knee problems, so walking any distance became almost impossible. Can't quite believe the difference in fitness and of course the cycling doesn't hurt my knees too much.
Taking the physios advice about trying cycling again instead of walking, I have built up to around 20 miles a day, yes, most days and, importantly have lost around two and a quarter stone, so a very big yes to cycling. Well done OP, cheers, Lambo.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Lambo wrote: I have built up to around 20 miles a day, yes, most days and, importantly have lost around two and a quarter stone, so a very big yes to cycling.
20miles a day is good going. Does that include gradients? Providing you have set your position on the bike correctly you may find your knees improve as well.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Way to go, Grarea. I've been hooked for years - since I was 9, which was longer ago than I care to admit. Spent years away from it, mostly due to changing country periodically, but back in the saddle now since 1986.

Anyway, after the first crucifying efforts are past and the reward begins to outweigh the pain, the benefits accrue faster and faster: not just in measurable terms, but just in feeling bloody marvellous. (I had such a marvellous ride yesterday I can barely move today.) Keep at it: you'll soon be such an addict that anything that keeps you off the bike will drive you up the wall. ;)

BTW, Bepanthen is excellent for post-ride treatment of saddle abrasion.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

MikeF, yes, the 20 miles do include a few hills, I live in the Lincs Wolds and whichever direction I take from our village, there are hills. I suppose being retired helps as I have plenty of spare time.
Might even treat myself to a new bike later, still using my 20 year old Raleigh tourer, cheers, Lambo.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Audax67 wrote:Way to go, Grarea. I've been hooked for years - since I was 9, which was longer ago than I care to admit. Spent years away from it, mostly due to changing country periodically, but back in the saddle now since 1986.

Anyway, after the first crucifying efforts are past and the reward begins to outweigh the pain, the benefits accrue faster and faster: not just in measurable terms, but just in feeling bloody marvellous. (I had such a marvellous ride yesterday I can barely move today.) Keep at it: you'll soon be such an addict that anything that keeps you off the bike will drive you up the wall. ;)

BTW, Bepanthen is excellent for post-ride treatment of saddle abrasion.

I know what you mean, it is getting there already.
A lovely ride down some back lanes at the weekend and sat on the sofa the rest of the day. All energy gone. Smile on my face.
Starting to enjoy the challenges that hills provide again. (I really don't understand that one as I hate it at the time)

I have always liked cycling.
You can explain it with all the benefits, the health, the exercise, the scenery, the fresh air, etc etc
But somehow it doesn't quite cover it does it?
I just like being on a bike. It makes me feel good.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Your post got me out riding today, thanks. Keep it up !
Nu-Fogey
ossie

Post by ossie »

Today was tremendous down in the south of England.

No wind, clear blue skies...the hedges have been cut in time for the nesting season and you can see that beautiful countryside...its just a shame about the state of the roads that are reaching an all time low,
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Yup, glorious in the South West, I have wider tyres to cope with the roads.
Doesn't bother me as I am more used to off road.
vincent0

Post by vincent0 »

Yes, short urban city rides for me. Just to get around when I don't want to drive or just to get out.

Love it, I can't express to my family just how happy cycling makes me feel.

Why else would I do the occasional commute to work during the week at 5am in the middle of winter on a clapped-out bike except for the fact that it is fun and makes me feel happy.

got to go now, would like to say more.
Last edited by vincent0 on 14 Apr 2017, 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Yes...i cannot put it into words what i feel sometimes when i am out on my bike , on a track or riding through a wooded area .
I am off , on my own ,in a few weeks to cycle the "Camino Sanabres " in Spain (500 klms ) and am constantly thinking about it /planning it /already loving it .
My wife just about tolerates cycling , even on her electric bike ....my sister in law likes cycling ....did i make the wrong choice ? :D :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

oldun wrote:My wife just about tolerates cycling , even on her electric bike ....my sister in law likes cycling ....did i make the wrong choice ? :D :D

I swapped one for the other ....... we're all happy now ...... :D :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.