Becoming left handed to stay healthy

MarcusT

Becoming left handed to stay healthy

Post by MarcusT »

During a training ride I was trying out my new action-cam. Being right handed, I was adjusting the angle of the cam with my right hand and left hand on the handle bar. As quick as a flash, a cat ran out in front of me, Reflexes made my left hand jam on the brake, locking the front wheel and sending me for a great tumble. No serious injuries (bumps and bruises)or damage and yes, the cat ran off to interfere with other bikers.
How to avoid this same accident in the future? Start using my left hand to make adjustments and such. It will take some getting used to, but better than broken bones.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
meic

Re: Becoming left handed to stay healthy

Post by meic »

Did adjusting the camera make you reach over and put your left hand on the other side of the handlebars?

If one hand is busy doing something other than controlling the bike, the other hand will pull on the same brake lever that it normally does.
In my case my left hand would be pulling on the back brake, which may in turn have not been effective enough to miss the cat.
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MarcusT wrote:During a training ride I was trying out my new action-cam. Being right handed, I was adjusting the angle of the cam with my right hand and left hand on the handle bar. As quick as a flash, a cat ran out in front of me, Reflexes made my left hand jam on the brake, locking the front wheel and sending me for a great tumble. No serious injuries (bumps and bruises)or damage and yes, the cat ran off to interfere with other bikers.
How to avoid this same accident in the future? Start using my left hand to make adjustments and such. It will take some getting used to, but better than broken bones.

No no no

Don't use the bloody thing when riding
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MarcusT wrote:During a training ride I was trying out my new action-cam. Being right handed, I was adjusting the angle of the cam with my right hand and left hand on the handle bar. As quick as a flash, a cat ran out in front of me, Reflexes made my left hand jam on the brake, locking the front wheel and sending me for a great tumble. No serious injuries (bumps and bruises)or damage and yes, the cat ran off to interfere with other bikers.

Cable your bike UK way?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MarcusT wrote:........... Reflexes made my left hand jam on the brake, locking the front wheel
Your bike isn't "wired" for UK use then.

My left brake works the REAR brake.
Mick F. Cornwall
Barks

Post by Barks »

Er, and car users doing a similar also thing risk points and fine .
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

meic wrote:Did adjusting the camera make you reach over and put your left hand on the other side of the handlebars?

If one hand is busy doing something other than controlling the bike, the other hand will pull on the same brake lever that it normally does.
In my case my left hand would be pulling on the back brake, which may in turn have not been effective enough to miss the cat.

The camera was on a chest harness, so no prone position.I was just adjusting the angle, my eyes did not wander, It was split second action/reaction and ended badly.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
No no no

I guess the point of owning an action cam is pointless?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

MarcusT wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
No no no

I guess the point of owning an action cam is pointless?

No, we need a clip of you somersaulting over the handlebars next time something like this happens!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Don't recable your bike just cos some pedants are enjoying pointing out that it's "not the UK way". Leave it the way you're used to it. Use your left hand to adjust the cam.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Don't recable your bike just cos some pedants are enjoying pointing out that it's "not the UK way". Leave it the way you're used to it. Use your left hand to adjust the cam.

Thanks. It's amazing how you tell a simple anecdote and some of the finger pointers come crashing down on you. Next story, maybe the cat won't get away :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's not being pedantic.
Your issue is that you were using your right (dominant) hand to adjust your camera, then had to do an emergency stop with your left hand.

For the vast majority of us on this forum our bikes are wired the other way, so if you'd had been "normal", you wouldn't have had an issue at all, and not posted about it either, or even given advice without considering that you have your bike wired the opposite way.

My question is why do you have your front brake on the left?
Are you somewhere abroad?
Did you not realise that in UK we normally have rear brake on the left?
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MarcusT wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Don't recable your bike just cos some pedants are enjoying pointing out that it's "not the UK way". Leave it the way you're used to it. Use your left hand to adjust the cam.

Thanks. It's amazing how you tell a simple anecdote and some of the finger pointers come crashing down on you. Next story, maybe the cat won't get away :lol:

Don't forget you'd a question in there too.
How to avoid this same accident in the future?

Now, out of interest, I've got one.
Why, and for what reason, do you have your brakes wired opposite to local custom?
Edit: Mick got in just before me :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bez

Post by Bez »

I would suggest a camera that doesn't need to be fiddled with while riding. (Which I thought was all of them, at least it's all that I've used, but there you go.)

Another right-handed "wrong" brake user here. Solidarity, brother.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At the age of 11, my dad bought me a brand new bike!
I rode it home, and was immediately concerned that the brakes were the "wrong way round" with rear brake on the right.

My previous bike was a hand-me-down from my much older cousin and had rod brakes, just like the previous bike, and my trike before that. Rod brakes were always right front and left rear. You couldn't swap them, they were "hard wired" that way. Even my trike with only a front brake had it on the right.

I wonder if internationally, rod brakes were right front left rear?
Dunno, but it's worth considering.

Back to my brand new bike .............
It was a Hercules with a 3sp SA and cable brakes ............... very posh! :D
Why the brakes were the wrong way round, I don't know, but I lost no time in changing over the cables as soon as I got it home.
Even at 11, I knew what was right and what was wrong ................ or at least that's the way I thought. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall