Knee Pain Research

JMW15

Knee Pain Research

Post by JMW15 »

Hi All,

I'm a physio currently doing some research work looking at how knee pain affects people. In particular I am interested in how it affects people mentally. I realise this is potentially quite personal information, so all responses are completely anonymous and I will not know who you are.

The responses are mainly multiple choice questions and the survey should take about 10 minutes in total.

Link: https://plymouth.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/dep_pf-study

If you have any questions, my email address is on the front page, or ask away here!

Thanks,
Jamie
Psamathe

Re: Knee Pain Research

Post by Psamathe »

I suffer from patellofemoral pain yet I'm 60 years old. Maybe mention that you are only interested in people suffering this problem in the age range 18-44!

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, can't take part coz I'm nearly 65. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

yup to old to take part! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JMW15

Post by JMW15 »

Sorry all!

Should have said, age range is 18-44 and you need to be living in the UK.

Thanks to those who have already looked at it!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Nice to appreciate that despite suffering, we are too old to be relevant.

Ian
JMW15

Post by JMW15 »

Hi Ian,

Please do not think that I am completely ignoring people over this age who suffer with Patellofemoral pain. Some of the most responsive and enjoyable people to treat for Patellofemoral pain have been those of more advanced years!

Sadly when looking at research the expectation is only to look at one factor at a time. As we are all painfully (literally!) aware, as we age it is rarely a single issue which is the only problem with any joint.

Because of this we have to put in an upper age limit to try and keep things as focused as possible. If its any consolation, the latest piece of research I looked at would have excluded me for being too old as well!

Thanks again for looking at the survey!
Jamie
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

JMW15 wrote:Hi Ian,
Sadly when looking at research the expectation is only to look at one factor at a time. As we are all painfully (literally!) aware, as we age it is rarely a single issue which is the only problem with any joint.

Because of this we have to put in an upper age limit to try and keep things as focused as possible. If its any consolation, the latest piece of research I looked at would have excluded me for being too old as well!

Thanks again for looking at the survey!
Jamie

Multivariate analysis ?

Ian
JMW15

Post by JMW15 »

The bigger issue is that we would more than likely be dealing with Patellofemoral Joint Arthritis (to a greater or lesser degree) in older people. This has been shown to be the case in a number of studies. Unfortunately it has not yet been comprehensively proven to be continuum so it still has to be investigated separately.

That's why we have to limit the upper age limit. You are quite right that we could be looking throughout the age spectrum, but that would dilute the specificity of what we are trying to do.

There is lots of research going on with regards to Patellofemoral pain in older people (mainly based in Australia for some reason), If I come across any in the UK I will make sure I share it here!
JMW15

Post by JMW15 »

Bump...