Insulin in Italy

aflook

Insulin in Italy

Post by aflook »

Hello all
Making one of my rare forays into cyberspace...
I am planning a 2 month camping tour of Italy over August & September and have to maintain my insulin supply. I have been advised that I should noy rely on keeping insulin for more than a month in cool-bags so should try and get fresh supplies en route. I am wondering if there are any reciprocal arrangements or will I have to arrange to buy some.

Anyone any experience of this or similar?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cunobelin

Re: Insulin in Italy

Post by Cunobelin »

You should be covered by your E111 European Health Insurance Card for medication and other treatments.

There are lots of guides on diabetic forums on this.

The most important is to realise that the actual presentation of the Insulin may differ from country to country. The name may differ, the strength may differ and this can be a problem

So the first thing to do is to research your prescription and what is available in Italy That way there will be no compatibility problems when you get there. Equally a letter from your doctor explaining your prescription would be useful, and also verify the contents should you become involved with customs

Overall, I would not worry too much. You will not be the first person who for whatever reason needs insulin urgently
aflook

Post by aflook »

Thanks, Cunobelin, my next step was to search the diabetic fora. I posted here because people will be aware of the realities of cycle camping. I have travelled lots without any problems but never attempted to pre-arrange insulin supplies. It's quite pricey stuff and I don't pay prescription charges here, I'm not sure what is likely to be covered by the EHIC (or E111 as it is now I think). My consultant tells me that most insulin is now at the same concentration across Europe, but as you point out, I will need to find the local brand names for my particular insulin. I always carry a doctor's letter but have only once been asked to produce it by security and never by customs. Better safe than sorry.
aflook

Post by aflook »

Update:

Any diabetics going to Italy, here is how I managed:
    Check your insulin is available. I don't normally use the disposable pens, but penfills were not available for Levemir.
    I kept insulin cool using Frio bags even through the heatwave and little or no access to a fridge, but I had been advised to replace insulin after 1 month.
    Allow time to do this. I was in Lecce and it took nearly 36 hours, but it should be do-able in 24.
    You need UK prescriptions for each separate medication. I took several prescriptions for minimum amounts to cover emergencies.
    You cannot go directly to the chemist, where you might be charged €200. You have to see a doctor at the Guardia Medica, which is only open 8pm to 8am - it's like an after-hours drop-in service.The doctors I saw were unfamiliar with this process and one had to phone a colleague. Make sure the Guardia Medica gives you separtate (Italian) prescriptions for each type of insulin as the chemist won't accept two types of insulin on one prescription ( as I found to my cost and stress :( ).
    You then go to the chemist (which must be in the same region as the issuing Guradia Medica) who might well have to order the insulin in. I went to a late-night chemist at about 11pm. the insulin arrived at 5pm the following day. It cost €4 per item, which is a regional charge.
    You will need to check that the reciprocal healthcare agreement is still in place after Brexit.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
mjr

Post by mjr »

You are a star! This reads like it may be useful for various chronic illness medications.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.