Is there a doctor in the house?

Vetus Ossa

Is there a doctor in the house?

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I’ve not been well for some time, and not been able to ride my bike since last October, which is a bit depressing really as you can imagine.
My problem was eventually diagnosed and it would appear I somehow managed to pick up a rare, nasty virus.
I spent a week in hospital in late February on IV antibiotics and had some unpleasant procedures done.
Upon leaving the hospital my consultant put me on oral antibiotics for three months and warned that there may well be side effects as the antibiotics are nasty…and he was right. I asked him before I left if I would be able to ride my bike soon, and he said I was to consider my life was on hold for three months and just walk as much as possible.
Anyway to get to my question I am currently taking 500mg of Levofloxacin and 300mg of Rifampicin twice a day and they have really messed me up. I ache all over all of the time, and am barely able to walk comfortably though I do force myself to. I have also lost weight and am extremely short of breath, most of which can be put down to the Rifampicin I believe.
Has anyone else here been on these medications themselves, and do things slowly return to normal after you have stopped taking them?
I would have asked my consultant this question on my planned four week follow up appointment, but it appears that it will be eight weeks before I see him now and still have over two weeks to go until then. My doctor is not a lot of help so won’t be asking him.
Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?
Beauty will save the world.
geomannie

Re: Is there a doctor in the house?

Post by geomannie »

Hi

I can't comment on your particular drug regime but last year I suffered peritonitis and was hospitalised and put on IV antibiotics for 5 days (no idea what types) and on release had to take a range of powerful antibiotics for 3 weeks. The side effects from the latter were unpleasant with the Metronidazole making me feel very nauseous. I lost a bunch of weight and the medics got worried that I had cancer. Luckily not.

I am fine now and back to cycling pretty much as before. Your 3 month course on antibiotics, however, sounds a lot tougher than mine, but with the right treatment you will recover and return to your bike. Despite what you say about your doctor, if you have questions, it might be worth speaking to them. Granted he/she is not the consultant but should be able to offer some general pointers from their general expereince. I went to see my doctor while I was on my course of antibiotics and he was re-assuring which I found helpful.

Of course, my doctor is not your doctor but there is nothing really to loose by chatting to him/her.

Get well soon.
geomannie
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You know more about the illness than your doctor, who has likely had a rather general education (there are so many diseases, she has probably not had yours)

There must be a lot of accounts on the www from other sufferers, and fora where you could find more info (non-cycling sites)

Often there are indeed different possible treatments, (4 docs, 4 opinons), doing *nothing* and waiting is one possibility
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

You need to put these concerns to your consultant. I would suggest you make contact by telephone before your next appointment, even if its initially through his/her secretary.

Get well soon.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

On the plus side the medication seems to be working so will continue with them, but the side effects are awful. The last time I spoke to the Doc he said he had three patients on rifampicin with ruptured achilles tendons…such fun, mine though painful last week and had me walking with a limp has gone away, at the moment.
I am seeing my doctor in two days’ time so will see what pearls of wisdom he has to say. My consultant is almost impossible to see/contact but I do have an appointment in a couple of weeks and he will probably be able to give me some answers, but pretty sure he will say continue with the medication.

Thanks folks for the get well's.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I would suggest you contact your consultants secretary and request a telephone consultation. The antibiotics you're on are pretty hardcore and not prescribed without reason.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Talk to the Consultant, not 'quacks' on here..... we have no idea of your specific condition. It sounds as though you need your treatment, no matter how awful, and is 3 months such a long time? Though I do understand your concerns about returning to your former standard of fitness.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was on some strong, broad spectrum antibiotics (I don't know which ones) some years ago. The side effects were that they made me nauseated, gave me horrid joint aches, and left me feeling constantly fatigued, even after I had apparently recovered from the illness. It was some time before I could ride my bike, or do any other sort of vigourous physical activity.

Things did begin to return to normal when I no longer had to take antibiotics. I did have some lingering issues for a few months as a result of the antibiotics. The worst was repeated candida overgrowth (aka thrush), and not just in 'normal' places. :shock:

The bacteria/fungus/regulation in my body was thrwon wonky by the antibiotics and it took a while for the balance to be restored. But they didn't keep me from riding my bike :mrgreen:

Take all the medication the consultant says you need to take, otherwise you may suffer a relapse. Good luck with your recovery.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Vorpal wrote:I was on some strong, broad spectrum antibiotics (I don't know which ones) some years ago. The side effects were that they made me nauseated, gave me horrid joint aches, and left me feeling constantly fatigued, even after I had apparently recovered from the illness. It was some time before I could ride my bike, or do any other sort of vigourous physical activity.

Things did begin to return to normal when I no longer had to take antibiotics. I did have some lingering issues for a few months as a result of the antibiotics. The worst was repeated candida overgrowth (aka thrush), and not just in 'normal' places. :shock:

The bacteria/fungus/regulation in my body was thrwon wonky by the antibiotics and it took a while for the balance to be restored. But they didn't keep me from riding my bike :mrgreen:

Take all the medication the consultant says you need to take, otherwise you may suffer a relapse. Good luck with your recovery.

That's what I was hoping to hear re things returning to normal after stopping taking the antibiotics.
I should have seen my consultant four weeks after leaving hospital, but it will now be eight which isn't ideal as i'm sure he could have answered all of my questions.
I have no option not to keep taking the medication though do I, and intend to.