Sacroiliitis

Varaderov2

Sacroiliitis

Post by Varaderov2 »

Hi everyone
I've been diagnosed with Sacroiliitis, prescribed tablets have not helped, next step is physiotherapy.
One of the things I've been told not to do is any cycling, since this is my main source of exercise and challenge as well as pleasure I'm gutted. Has anyone on here had this and been able to ride.
Cheers Bob
Audax67

Re: Sacroiliitis

Post by Audax67 »

I displaced a sacroiliac on a ride in 2013. We had a nurse along, who managed to get it back together enough for me to limp round to a convenient pick-up point: thereafter I was off the bike for 4 weeks, though I did the odd stint on the turbo. In the end it was physiotherapy that got me working again. When I bent to put on my trousers after one session a jolt of pain put me on the floor, and the phyzzy chortled "hey, we're getting somewhere!" He was right but I wasn't exactly enchanted. Thereafter I gradually improved.

It would probably have been better with anti-inflammatories as well as the phyzzy, but I can't tolerate them. Anyway, phyzzy, Naproxen and rest is the usual prescription. Plus a heat pad on the affected area, which is a bore and doesn't do much.

One thing: if your bike setup was OK before, beware of changing it. I had a re-fit in an LBS, but it turned out to be rubbish and I had to put it back the way it was. I also tried orthotic insoles, also rubbish.

Sympathy and good luck.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Varaderov2

Post by Varaderov2 »

Thanks for the reply, hopefully the physio will sort me out then. Cheers
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Hello Bob,
I've ridden with sacroiliitis (as a result of Ankylosing Spondylitis) for many years. Painkillers/anti inflammatories help, self administered physio. helps most and sometimes resting from cycling (sometimes a few days, sometimes a week or two) is the answer for me. Because of similar problems in my neck and shoulders, I've adjusted my bikes so that I ride with my head higher than average - not so aerodynamic, but more comfortable for me. Also when doing low down jobs, I've learnt to kneel rather than crouch - use a cushion too!
Good luck, John.
Varaderov2

Post by Varaderov2 »

Thanks John
VEL0

Post by VEL0 »

John1054 wrote:Hello Bob,
I've ridden with sacroiliitis (as a result of Ankylosing Spondylitis) for many years. Painkillers/anti inflammatories help, self administered physio. helps most and sometimes resting from cycling (sometimes a few days, sometimes a week or two) is the answer for me. Because of similar problems in my neck and shoulders, I've adjusted my bikes so that I ride with my head higher than average - not so aerodynamic, but more comfortable for me. Also when doing low down jobs, I've learnt to kneel rather than crouch - use a cushion too!
Good luck, John.

Hi John - I have the same thing, AS + Sacroiliitis. Currently struggling to use the bike without severe sacroiliac pain. Physio doesn't seem to be helping much to be honest! Do have glutes of steel though. Feel your pain!