Peanut Butter

bigjim

Re: Peanut Butter

Post by bigjim »

Margarine is extracted from oils using chemicals in a factory. No thanks.
I have butter very morning on my toast and in the evening I like a piece of fried bread fried in butter. I was brought up in Ireland on Soda bread and butter. Also full fat milk on my meusli. Glass of milk pretty often for the Protein and I really like it. Drank it all my life.
I don't lose or put weight on. Don't take any pills and heart is fine.
I think we are all individuals in what our body will accept and what affects it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like butter, too. I've seen what they do to margerine. :shock:

At least with butter, I know where it comes from.

I don't think there is any evidence that food fat is correlated to weight gain or loss? The idea that it does comes from (misguided) US health guidelines and decades of marketing on the part of processed food companies.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... tudy-finds

Sugar intake is correlated to weight gain / loss. http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20130114 ... s-weight#1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
At the weekend we have scones and cream, when the cream ins not available I use the low fat spread my missus uses so its once in a blue moon in the last 4 years.
I use butter in my bread making, I don't eat bought bread at all unless I am miles from home.

Peanut butter is one thing I might try next long ride between some rice cakes, it was something I was going to try anyway.
Like marmite some cant stand the stuff.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
At the weekend we have scones and cream, when the cream ins not available I use the low fat spread my missus uses so its once in a blue moon in the last 4 years.
I use butter in my bread making, I don't eat bought bread at all unless I am miles from home.

Peanut butter is one thing I might try next long ride between some rice cakes, it was something I was going to try anyway.
Like marmite some cant stand the stuff.

If they are shop bought scones I imagine they are worse for you than the butter as they will probably have sugar in the mix. I take slices of malt bread coated with peanut butter on my all day rides. I wish manufactures would drop this sugar with everything culture.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Malt is just sugar in another form - Soreen malt loaf contains 22g sugar per 100g, in other words,22%. :shock:

Natural Ankling - you don't have add butter when you're making bread. I haven't used it in my own bread-making for about 40 years.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

LollyKat wrote:Malt is just sugar in another form - Soreen malt loaf contains 22g sugar per 100g, in other words,22%. :shock:

Natural Ankling - you don't have add butter when you're making bread. I haven't used it in my own bread-making for about 40 years.

Is the sugar in a malt loaf fructose from the fruit content and honey?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

LollyKat wrote:Malt is just sugar in another form - Soreen malt loaf contains 22g sugar per 100g, in other words,22%. :shock:

I live near a muesli factory

One can often smell what variety is being produced - malty, honey, fruity
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The fruit will account for some of the sugar, and there are other added sugars as well.

Ingredients (from Soreen):
Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin (B3), Thiamin (B1)), Water, Raisins (14%), Maize Starch, Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup (Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup, E150c),Malted Barley Flour (5%), Barley Malt Extract (4.4%), Dried Whey (from Cows Milk), Vegetable Fats (Rapeseed, Palm), Salt, Yeast, Preservative: Calcium Propionate (Added to Inhibit Mould Growth).

To be fair to Soreen they don't claim that it is sugar free. I do get annoyed by some muesli packets that have "Free from added sugar!" emblazoned on them in big letters, but instead contain malt extract so that they are just as sweet and sickly as the usual variety.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

If you have buy or have a high powered blender with the right blade/smasher you can make it yourself - it only takes seconds.

You can also buy a Peanut Butter Maker which is essentially a blender for around £50

I'm not sure the economics of this versus buying the peanut butter, but at least you know what you are getting

Lot's of recipes on the web for different varieties
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

What's best to use?
I don't mix by hand its a machine I struggle with wholemeal flour, to get it to rise?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

What's best to use?
I don't mix by hand its a machine I struggle with wholemeal flour, to get it to rise?

I put a tablespoon of sunflower oil in my bread.

As far as rising goes, it needs gluten to rise well. Wholemeal flour is relatively low in gluten, but if you either add wheat gluten, or mix in other flours that are high in gluten, like unbleached bread flour, or a very strong flour (Dove's Farm have good, all natural ones) it will rise better.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I don't add any butter or oil, but use Dove's Farm Organic Strong Wholemeal flour or it's equivalent from Waitrose (Duchy). I also add a little* Malthouse flour which helps the rise. Adding vitamin C is supposed to help, too.

I don't have bread machine but use an inherited food mixer that is about 60 years old but works a treat! I make the dough fairly sloppy -- it is only just kneadable -- and bake it in tins in a conventional oven.. It is not a light as supermarket bread or even some breadmaker bread, but that is not what we want.

*a little means 4oz malthouse to 2lb wholemeal.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I noticed peanut flour on sale in Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago so I suppose you could make your own peanut butter. I seem to recall that the price of the peanut flour would have made your home-made version considerably more expensive than buying the most expensive peanut butter in a jar.