Diverticulitis/diverticulosis

ianrobo

Re: Diverticulitis/diverticulosis

Post by ianrobo »

horizon wrote:May I ask if any of the sufferers are vegetarian (I'm not trying to make a point by the way)?

Thats an interesting point as I came across some postings on this on another forum I am a member of. Basically someone had it serious and stopped eating nuts (they were vegan) and the condition relented. Problem was they had to resort to fake foods to get protein and eventually went back to meat.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ianrobo wrote:
horizon wrote:May I ask if any of the sufferers are vegetarian (I'm not trying to make a point by the way)?
I

Thats an interesting point as I came across some postings on this on another forum I am a member of. Basically someone had it serious and stopped eating nuts (they were vegan) and the condition relented. Problem was they had to resort to fake foods to get protein and eventually went back to meat.

What are fake foods?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ianrobo wrote:
I

What are fake foods?

for example Quorn food burgers and sausages, not real food, not vegetable or meat or fruit but something processed and manufactured from numerous 'ingredients'.
softlips

Post by softlips »

It's definitely much less of an issue in vegetarians and vegans due to the higher fibre intake of such individuals.
hondated

Post by hondated »

:D what a funny old world it is :? This year I had tests from both ends because my blood tests indicated I may have cancer. Long story short rang surgery for results and was told everything ok. Great but why were my test results indicating cancer. So goes to see doctor and pointed out the report states I have a diviculated colon. " Oh I hadn't spotted that " he says. " It's an age " thing he adds. Got to say that seems his answer to most problems I've had. So I have been trying to deal with it myself by eating more roughage etc but I am still struggling with pain particularly after cycling so I've just Googled it and guess what I end up back on our favourite forum
So given all that can someone tell me whether I should be using Bran rather than the cereal AllBran and given I am getting pain in my left side at times whether I can expect this to get worse before it gets better . Like others have reported I have always been a fruit eater so I am eating even more along with plenty of water to move things along.
I accept these are questions could be asked on a medical forum but I am pretty sure most responses would be cancer related so I would rather learn from other cyclists experiences. :)
roger

Post by roger »

I was diagnosed 10 years ago. The Consultant shrugged it off, inferring that at my age having eaten an unsuitable diet for years, I would have to live with it.
I have always been a muesli man but thought I would look at all the fibre contents. I ended up with Lidl bran flakes - 15%. Having heard that bananas have high content and some post exercise beneficial vits, I started consuming 2-3 per day. All since this spring. Things have improved, a more solid product.
By chance Lidl were selling shredded Wheat at a good price and the fibre is 14% last week, so I thought I would have a change - no immediate effect.

None of this has been anyway scientific. So , perhaps, to compound it I read in the paper last week that 2 walnuts a day were good for the colon. Now had the first 4.

I never had any on the bike problems, but have cut out long audaxes as I have difficulty riding and driving in the dark and gloom.

Roger.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Another question, again not making a point but just getting an idea of how things are:

I eat a large bowl of porridge every day, real porridge. I know it's not everyone's favourite, but again, sufferers and non-sufferers, does anyone else?

(I know we have a thread running on this but this is specifically in connection with the OP).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hondated

Post by hondated »

roger wrote:I was diagnosed 10 years ago. The Consultant shrugged it off, inferring that at my age having eaten an unsuitable diet for years, I would have to live with it.
I have always been a muesli man but thought I would look at all the fibre contents. I ended up with Lidl bran flakes - 15%. Having heard that bananas have high content and some post exercise beneficial vits, I started consuming 2-3 per day. All since this spring. Things have improved, a more solid product.
By chance Lidl were selling shredded Wheat at a good price and the fibre is 14% last week, so I thought I would have a change - no immediate effect.

None of this has been anyway scientific. So , perhaps, to compound it I read in the paper last week that 2 walnuts a day were good for the colon. Now had the first 4.

I never had any on the bike problems, but have cut out long audaxes as I have difficulty riding and driving in the dark and gloom.

Roger.

Thats interesting Roger as since my diagnosis I have been eating Shredded Wheat for breakfast. Also eaten a banana a day for years . Definitely get some walnuts on our weekly shop tomorrow now rather than the almonds we buy.

Given the illnesses some people suffer mine is very trivial but if I can improve my health I am going to try.
Ted
hondated

Post by hondated »

horizon wrote:Another question, again not making a point but just getting an idea of how things are:

I eat a large bowl of porridge every day, real porridge. I know it's not everyone's favourite, but again, sufferers and non-sufferers, does anyone else?

(I know we have a thread running on this but this is specifically in connection with the OP).

horizon like Rogers comment your is also interesting as until this was diagnosed I use to have porridge for breakfast but I read somewhere that nuts seeds should be avoided so I assumed oats would fall into that category. So do you have this problem but still eat porridge.

Do you remember the days when a doctor would refer you to a dietician ! if only that happened now. Ted
horizon

Post by horizon »

hondated wrote: So do you have this problem but still eat porridge?

AFAIK and hopefully not. But I'm always interested in the good functioning of the body and see both cycling (= exercise, movement, blood flow, internal organ massage on-the-go) and diet as ways to keep the body healthy.

The current Western diet IMV is appalling so I wonder if what some people consider a lot of fibre is in fact very little.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge is very benign I think, whole oats, better than processed or part food (Allbran, bran)
The other rule is variety, experiment. If you like the food and it agrees with you, that is enough
I love wholemeal rice and pearl barley (temperate zone rice substitute)
hondated

Post by hondated »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is very benign I think, whole oats, better than processed or part food (Allbran, bran)
The other rule is variety, experiment. If you like the food and it agrees with you, that is enough

Thanks Bryn currently in Tesco ( can't afford to shop at Waitrose :D ) so bought some walnuts and will now go and buy some porridge.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hondated wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is very benign I think, whole oats, better than processed or part food (Allbran, bran)

Thanks Bryn currently in Tesco ( can't afford to shop at Waitrose :D ) so bought some walnuts and will now go and buy some porridge.

Don't buy "porridge", buy coarse oats, optional fine oats, groats, oatmeal, look at the kilo price, "porridge" is much more expensive, contains more ingredients!

I and others have posted porridge recipes (alternatives are available), you could put aside an hour to read the porridge threads :)
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

hondated wrote::D what a funny old world it is :? This year I had tests from both ends because my blood tests indicated I may have cancer. Long story short rang surgery for results and was told everything ok. Great but why were my test results indicating cancer. So goes to see doctor and pointed out the report states I have a diviculated colon. " Oh I hadn't spotted that " he says. " It's an age " thing he adds. Got to say that seems his answer to most problems I've had. So I have been trying to deal with it myself by eating more roughage etc but I am still struggling with pain particularly after cycling so I've just Googled it and guess what I end up back on our favourite forum
So given all that can someone tell me whether I should be using Bran rather than the cereal AllBran and given I am getting pain in my left side at times whether I can expect this to get worse before it gets better . Like others have reported I have always been a fruit eater so I am eating even more along with plenty of water to move things along.
I accept these are questions could be asked on a medical forum but I am pretty sure most responses would be cancer related so I would rather learn from other cyclists experiences. :)

Been there have the tee shirt. When you say pain in your left side, is it lower groin or higher, just under your rib-cage perahps? I have had both. The lower was full-blown diverticulitis cured by intensive IV antibiotics, the other was very hard to diagnose. In the end it turned out to be colon spasms causing slowing of passage through the colon, a variety of irritable bowel syndrome. This was alleviated by anti-spasmodic drugs (Buscopan).
geomannie
hondated

Post by hondated »

geomannie wrote:
hondated wrote::D what a funny old world it is :? This year I had tests from both ends because my blood tests indicated I may have cancer. Long story short rang surgery for results and was told everything ok. Great but why were my test results indicating cancer. So goes to see doctor and pointed out the report states I have a diviculated colon. " Oh I hadn't spotted that " he says. " It's an age " thing he adds. Got to say that seems his answer to most problems I've had. So I have been trying to deal with it myself by eating more roughage etc but I am still struggling with pain particularly after cycling so I've just Googled it and guess what I end up back on our favourite forum

Been there have the tee shirt. When you say pain in your left side, is it lower groin or higher, just under your rib-cage perahps? I have had both. The lower was full-blown diverticulitis cured by intensive IV antibiotics, the other was very hard to diagnose. In the end it turned out to be colon spasms causing slowing of passage through the colon, a variety of irritable bowel syndrome. This was alleviated by anti-spasmodic drugs (Buscopan).

I think its the latter geomannie as i wouldnt want to exaggerate the pain I get. Whats irritating is i seem to get it during the night and at the same time i get acid reflux. Flipping nuisance as at times it affects my ability to go out for a ride. At the moment i have started eating walnuts, porridge bananas plus drinking plenty of water but not altered anything so far.

I will if it continues go back to see my doctor but its unbelievably difficult to get an appointment. Thanks for your advice.