Handlebar adaptation for neck problem

Invicta Tourist

Handlebar adaptation for neck problem

Post by Invicta Tourist »

Hi, has anybody adapted a drop barred tourer to one with straight bars to help achieve a more upright riding position due to arthritis in the neck?

Could I ask which type/s of (handle!)bars you find most comfortable? I've been looking at riser style bars, after using drops for over 30 years. The tourer has side pull caliper brakes and dt shifters.

I would very much appreciate feedback from someone who's carried out this type of conversion.
Cunobelin

Re: Handlebar adaptation for neck problem

Post by Cunobelin »

Invicta Tourist wrote:Hi, has anybody adapted a drop barred tourer to one with straight bars to help achieve a more upright riding position due to arthritis in the neck?

Could I ask which type/s of (handle!)bars you find most comfortable? I've been looking at riser style bars, after using drops for over 30 years. The tourer has side pull caliper brakes and dt shifters.

I would very much appreciate feedback from someone who's carried out this type of conversion.

It can be done, but gear and brake levers may need to be changed

I have done this successfully on my Dawes Galaxy Twin, and my Thorn Nomads, both came with straight bars

There is a "third way"

My wife used Butterfly bars, also known as trekking bars:

These are effectively straight, but versatile enough to allow a range of positions on a long day.

They can be fitted at almost any angle to suit the rider, and even fitted in reverse with the "gap" at the front to extend reach
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

+1 for butterfly bars. This is the solution that my wife ended up with (after trying flat bars) as they offer a wide range to hand positions.
geomannie
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

Thank you for your replies and usefu photos showing the brake levers on the nearer side of the bars. :) It's a helpful idea as I'm finding it's a strain on the neck to reach the bars on the top of the drops.