Trouble sleeping after long rides

nuddmann

Post by nuddmann »

Hi folks I'm new to the forum.

Just wondering if anyone else struggles to have good night's sleep after a long or demanding ride. Last week I did a mtb sportive that was around 3&1/2 hours riding. Yesterday I did 55 on my road bike, which was just a bit less time wise.
It's completely counter intuitive but I really struggle to get a decent night's sleep after these rides. I would have thought I'd be out for the count all night!!
My eating and drinking was spot on yesterday so I don't think it's that. Any ideas?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
axel_knutt

Re: Trouble sleeping after long rides

Post by axel_knutt »

Yes, I did it for decades.

I'd get into bed and be out like a light as soon as my head touched the pillow, but then wake up again about half an hour later. I'd then feel hot, thirsty, and as restless as if I'd consumed half a ton of caffeine. It's caused by overtraining, be careful you don't push it until you develop overtraining syndrome.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I've had difficulty sleeping after long cycle rides, but not after long walks. Never really understood this; always been careful over nutrition and hydration?
raj

Post by raj »

This happens to me pretty much every time. 75 miles yesterday on club run at a pace I was uncomfortable with should have been more than enough to ensure a good nights sleep but it didn't happen. It's mostly a feeling of being unable to find a position that's comfortable, presumably some form of muscle/joint perception issue. I just accept it and put up with it. I've never heard of "overtraining syndrome" before but it sounds interesting (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html) but most of the information out there refers to athletes on regular exercise regimes not recreational cyclists on occasional day rides. Not sure how applicable it is to us.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I get this too. I also get it after a long drive. Could it be the hyper-stimulation the brain goes through and then struggles to switch off?

My next experiment will be to see what happens to me on a 155km night Audax (Dartmoor Ghost)
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I get this too. I also get it after a long drive. Could it be the hyper-stimulation the brain goes through and then struggles to switch off?

I think that this is the most likely cause, although I feel the same type of tiredness after cycling as walking, perhaps it's different parts of the brain involved?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As some one who suffered chronic insomnia in my youth, and after shingles I am back to 3-3.5 hrs a night sleep even when I stay up till my eyes drop.

Too hot in the bedroom as you heat up as you go to sleep so that might be a problem it is for me and if you have exercised in the day your metabolism runs on high even for several days after.

I have been sleeping under or in a sleeping bag for the last three years, if you heat up you only need to put your feet out or and knees even shoulder to regulate without disturbing your partner :)

You will also find that a sleeping bag in winter comes up to temperature that is comfortable very quickly compared to any other bed clothing, I don't wear pyjamas either, they make you sweat and then you go cold.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Heltor Chasca wrote:I get this too. I also get it after a long drive. Could it be the hyper-stimulation the brain goes through and then struggles to switch off?

My next experiment will be to see what happens to me on a 155km night Audax (Dartmoor Ghost)

Night riding will really screw you up :)
Its the effects of light in eyes which bring on sleep, just finished a day / night ride once and when it got light I started to fall to sleep :?

Edited-
That's my stomping ground, that audax looks really good fun, free breaky and a slice of pizza :) Kevin organises the Dartmoor devil too so its a top event, 1ST of june blimey I could do that..........do I want to......... :? Entrys closed, I could always crash it :)

June or july :?:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Night riding will really screw you up :)
Its the effects of light in eyes which bring on sleep, just finished a day / night ride once and when it got light I started to fall to sleep :?

Edited-
That's my stomping ground, that audax looks really good fun, free breaky and a slice of pizza :) Kevin organises the Dartmoor devil too so its a top event, 1ST of june blimey I could do that..........do I want to......... :? Entrys closed, I could always crash it :)

June or july :?:

July 1st. Entries still open on AUK. See you there [emoji6]
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Route card said 1st june 2017.

Dartmoor Classic is 2ND July And I was meant to crash that :?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

nuddmann

Post by nuddmann »

More than likely. I get the same problem if I've done a particularly hard circuit training class. Gentle rides out with my other half tend to make me sleep well so it must have something to do with over stimulation plus it's really hard to get comfy!!

I have also found over the many years I've been exercising that a hard session makes me impossible hot at night. Even in the winter I have to open the windows and put the fan on!!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
hamster

Post by hamster »

Check if any drinks or nutrition contained caffeine.

I need an hour to wind down at the very least after riding - even when i go out on my MTB at night.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I find a hot bath before bed helps.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

yeah for some reason my brain just doesn't shut off.

if you use any laptops, tablets, watch tv or anything like that while you recover, wear yellow tinted glasses as the blue from the screen causes some.. biology stuff i don't really understand fully. anyway... blue light bad yellow light good. there's actually an application called f.lux that automatically adjusts your screen display in accordance with the cycle of natural light.

for a long time i worked my considerable behind off in a warehouse, cycled fifteen miles home wanting to just drop, check my emails before bed and BAM i'm wide awake. i don't know if there's anything to this, but the more active i am during the day seems to worsen this.