Transport industry and keeping fit

Rob87

Transport industry and keeping fit

Post by Rob87 »

Eyup all.
This morning I passed my test to become a bus driver, and i am purchasing a road bike in july.
Now the thing is, ive noticed that health is a hard thing to keep up in transport due to dodgy hours and crap diet etc.
I plan to cycle to work (its only 3 mile each way) the return being all uphill.
Will this be eneugh to keep my health up with a good diet? Has anyone else had a job on the buses or hgv's etc if so how did cycling fit in with it?
An example is their is no shower at my new depot so would baby wipes do for a clean when getting changed? That sort of thing really, any input appreciated.
meic

Re: Transport industry and keeping fit

Post by meic »

If the return is all uphill, then the outward must be all downhill, so you will probably be OK without a shower when you arrive at work.

Sorry to be a gloom spreader but by the same reasoning, it will only be a help towards keeping you fitter not an entire solution.

As a bus driver are you not protected by working hours controls? I was working as a courier with light vans which meant I could be stuck in a van from getting up to returning to bed, food was whatever you could find on the road. At least I sometimes got a little exercise (and bad back) doing the loading and unloading.
Yma o Hyd
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

Thanks for reply mate.
Whey even if it helps its better than nout.
Its local buses so its under domestic hours rather than EU. Maximum working day is allowed to be 16 hours (10 driving with a 30mi break). So aye theyre pretty crap hours.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

How much exercise do you do now?
You don't have to go to/from work by the most direct route all the time!
You won't be doing 16 hours 5 days a week....if you get a 16 hour day, that would be a day to commute by the direct 3 mile route.
To keep your work shirt from getting screwed up in the bike bag, you can buy a bag that keeps a folded shirt flat, to go in the bike bag.
Last edited by 531colin on 23 Jun 2017, 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

For 3 miles there really is no need to get changed, just ride in your work clothes. Generations of people rode that sort of distance without considering special clothing etc. Certainly no need for a shower or any other cleaning especially since it is all downhill. My dad was a bus driver and lorry driver in the 1960s/70s and like many of his mates would cycle to work.

One place I worked I had a similar length commute (but very hilly) and whilst it did not do me any good for building fitness, the regular exercise was certainly kept things topped up.

I'd say, don't overthink something as simple as a short commute and don't expect miracles either, but you can enjoy it - I really liked riding into the dawn on spring mornings for example.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

It can be tough for young people.
My daughter is a nurse, she is going back to work doing three 12-hour shifts a week after having a baby. My son in law is a bus driver, earning less money, so he will work part time and look after the nipper when my daughter is at work. I think he will have to work every Saturday. Training for running marathons will be difficult.
Child care simply won't work; even if they could afford it, it doesn't start early enough, or finish late enough, to cover their shifts.
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

Whey after this aye think ill pedal in work clothes.
Also colin i can sympathise ive got a 3 year old myself.
Cheers guys.
Andy3460

Post by Andy3460 »

I'm a fat sweaty B*****d and commute 13 miles each way in Spain 2 or 3 times a week. Baby wipes work for me so you should be fine.

If you choose to take your work shirt in with you, fold it round a magazine or sheet of cardboard. There's a GCN video somewhere showing how.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using hovercraft full of eels.
Craigbrown

Post by Craigbrown »

I went from bus to coach driving.
I used to stick a bike in storage under coach and go for a ride when got to destination. Got to ride in some great places. Doesn't help you much but thought I would share.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

One of the issues of being in the transport industry, is that you sit down to do your job. You have no alternative.
Sitting down is bad for the digestion, as well as no good for the heart and lungs. It's a double (or triple) whammy.

If you can ride further to work and back, it would help. You don't have to take the same route each day, so you can vary it to a greater degree than just the 3miles.

How about walking as it's only three miles? Maybe it'd take an hour each way.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:One of the issues of being in the transport industry, is that you sit down to do your job. You have no alternative.
Sitting down is bad for the digestion, as well as no good for the heart and lungs. It's a double (or triple) whammy.

If you can ride further to work and back, it would help. You don't have to take the same route each day, so you can vary it to a greater degree than just the 3miles.

How about walking as it's only three miles? Maybe it'd take an hour each way.

Working in an office is bad enough but I can move about and do some work standing, do not sit all the time. Driving a car in town is bad enough without having to keep a timetable, stop many times, sell tickets..

Maybe it was better back then, tram or engine drivers worked standing up. Firemen on steam engines got plenty of exercise
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've been in a similar position in the past, working shifts.

1 Take a packed lunch, that way you eat healthily.
2 Definitely try to get some longer rides in - 3 miles is only around 15 minutes. You need 40+ minutes for heart health - can you change and do a longer and ride home?
3 But the bike commute is definitely better than any other form of transport for your health, so do it!