Advice for a saddle sore beginner ( Ouch! )

Craigbrown

Advice for a saddle sore beginner ( Ouch! )

Post by Craigbrown »

Hi guys I just got back into cycling after a lot of years.
Been out for a short ride and my behind is so sore.
I'm in agony any advice on how to prevent this . I'm thinking it's just a case of getting used to it but it's not good.
Cheers
meic

Re: Ouch

Post by meic »

I'm thinking it's just a case of getting used to it but it's not good.

Probably.

Though there could be specific things which are wrong that could be avoidable.

If for example there are specific wear points from seams that are cutting in to you.
Is it bruising or skin sores? Both are something that your body can and will adapt to and you can do a little bit to lessen.

Building up the mileage progressively is the best way to avoid pain. Though there are plenty of snake oil salesmen out there who will take money off you for something that claims the credit of that natural aclimatisation.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fitness helps because you use your legs more powerfully rather than sitting down hard on the saddle.

Bike fit helps too, probably more. The saddle has to be the correct one for your bum - all bums are different - and the saddle has to be in the correct position fore/aft/height/angle for you. Also the handlebars have to be at the correct reach and height.

It all makes a difference to comfort.
Mick F. Cornwall
Craigbrown

Post by Craigbrown »

Cheers guys .
How do i know optimum riding position is it just about finding a comfy position or is there a guideline for it
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Craigbrown wrote:Cheers guys .
How do i know optimum riding position is it just about finding a comfy position or is there a guideline for it

plenty of stuff on youtube for that and esp from GCN guys, but the rule I follow is saddle height roughly at hip height
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531colin produced an excellent guide for getting the correct fit.
http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf
Mick F. Cornwall
Flinders

Re: Advice for a saddle sore beginner ( Ouch! )

Post by Flinders »

Once you're sure you have the bike set up right, I think the key is take it steady. Short rides of a few miles, building up to bigger rides.
If you've been a keen cyclist before and began by trying distance like you did before, that's probably the main problem.

My Flinders is a bony chap, and easily gets saddle sore (as in bruised 'sitbones' )if he hasn't ridden for a while. Again, the key is little by little. I suffer less, being a bit more naturally padded. :wink:

If your problem is more the skin, chamois cream may help.
simonineaston

Re: Advice for a saddle sore beginner ( Ouch! )

Post by simonineaston »

I've had considerable success in the past with micro-adjusting the tilt of saddles that were, at the outset, rather uncomfortable. That is to say a small adjustment of the height of the nose, relative to the height of the saddle's rear edge, seems to make more difference than you would at first suppose.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)