Knee Pain and "Knee Bands".

landsurfer

Knee Pain and "Knee Bands".

Post by landsurfer »

I suffer from low level knee pain in my left knee while cycling.
Done all the usual stuff with regard to position.
Last week i was chatting to a fellow cyclist who had relatively tight bands fitted just below each knee, he had been told by a running friend that it would stop his knees hurting.
But how! He didn't know how it worked neither did his friend but it seems to ...
Any advice please.?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Re: Knee Pain and "Knee Bands".

Post by Psamathe »

I use them, both knees together with Physio tape.

But I would think it best to first find out what is the cause of the pain before going for a specific cure (otherwise you might be using the wrong cure from the wrong cause). I had my knees checked by a physio who identified my problem and said the jumpers knee straps would help (as would tape). In some cases doing exercises to strengthen specific muscles can sort out the problem (depends on what the "problem" is).

I've been through quite a few different types many were useless, some had no effect, others would spring off in traffic! Finally found a good type (from Amazon). Once you've had a diagnosis as to the cause and if you then need the straps post and I'll turn out which ones I use.

I find that of you fit them too tight they can cause pain - again, take proper professional advice for the issues you are suffering from.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My first port of call would be NHS phisio........because they are not working on bonus and they are fully qualified to tell you whats wrong.

Unless you have suffered in the past from knee pain, I would look closer at your feet and shoes.
Start here-
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/index/

Whatever you arrive at do daily calf exercises to stretch them and keep them subtle.
See my post with diagram here-
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=115828#

Your are getting old like me, we are no as subtle as we were when we were 21 :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

landsurfer wrote:I suffer from low level knee pain in my left knee while cycling. .......

Where? Front, back, side? inside, outside?
If front....above/below kneecap?....under kneecap?
If its actually caused by the cycling, low level pain is likely to be due to an "over-use" injury.....repeating the same movement countless times.
The first thing to do is to ensure the movement you repeat over and over is as benign as possible. I know you have checked, but check again. Do your knees track straight, with just a hinge motion? No throwing out to the side, no side to side wobble.
To be fluid through the bottom of the stroke, you need some bend in your knee. If you are pointing your toes or rocking your hips just to reach the pedal at the bottom, then you are just a hair's breadth away from over-extending your knee at every stroke. (This will almost always be on one side only...most people unconsciously protect one leg, often at the expense of the other leg, by for example dropping one hip but not the other.) https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/addendum-to-seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be-2/ Its much safer to set the saddle a bit lower, so to get maximum knee extension and maximum power, you slide back in the saddle....see fit guide in my sig.....saddle height checks when riding onwards.
Do some other exercise.....straight-leg isometric quads exercise will maintain Vastus Medialis. Stretching calf, hamstrings and quads is a useful minimum. Stepping is good, but you need a 14" step to cover the range of a pair of cranks.
EDIT...thats the range of knee flexion....and my bodyweight is enough of a load, i wouldn't step with any more load.
Last edited by 531colin on 14 Jul 2017, 7:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

So far I am very lucky. A knee injury I received could not be cured with phsio. Cycling is the only respite. I have been virtually pain free since riding on a regular basis.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I find it interesting that.....
1) Cycling is very often "prescribed" for the rehabilitation of knee injuries.
2) Cyclists often report "sore knees"...ie knee injuries of greater or lesser severity.

Cycling is "good" knee exercise because it is (or can be) zero impact, low stress, non-weightbearing
But if you cycle "a lot" its too easy to pick up "overuse" injuries.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As 531colin says-
Calf stretches.
Set saddle say 3-5mm lower than your ideal, if this is too low (slight quad pain above knee, hands width above) then raise 1mm at a time till it disappears, each ride not same day.
Step ups.....I would go nearer to a normal stair step 8", I use 9" with two plastic 5L petrol containers filled with sand and water 9kgs each, far a start, work up the height later.

Don't balk the phisio NHS , you will be surprised how quickly they diagnose you and give you exercises that isolate the problem weakness.

I have done in my youth tentors four times, run marathons, faster than ten miles an hour over 15 miles, cycled 300 miles a week for 7 years, climb ropes with only my hands, walked 46 miles in 16.5 hrs with a 45Ib sack solo, several 250 mile day rides lately, 300 in 32 hrs.......................

BUT I did have knee pain four years ago (first time in my life) and thought my cycling days have ended :( at 55, seriously depressed.
My knee locked up on a ride, so much pain, it was my shoes (high tongue) restricting my ankle flexibility.
On a cold day I find I can get twinges very slight if one of my feet are cold / numb.

I do at least 20 minutes every day phisio work.

Last week completed the Dartmoor classic in gold medal time 67 M, on a 18 kilo bike 35 mm tyres unsupported.

No problems apart from some general leg muscle after ride a few days later.

Phisio is the answer along with some careful bike set up, even if you ditch foot to pedal retention, fit some wide bmx pedals and some mtb shoes, time will be needed for it to clear up.
If you are big frame consider Q factor also, you might be a bit narrow?

Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.