Hip replacement and cycling

reohn2

Re: Hip replacement and cycling

Post by reohn2 »

Tell her to get well soon as men aren't good at housework and cooking :wink:

PS,now's yer opportunity to lose a few pounds :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Au contraire, as a famous cockney would say.

The day before her op, we had a visit from an Occy Health chappy, who asked various questions.
When he asked who did most of the cooking, Mrs.C had to confess that she'd only cooked one meal in the last 8 days.
So, I won't be going hungry, although with all the household chores I'm now doing, as well as driving in and out of town twice a day to visit her (and building a path) I'm hoping to trim down a bit.

I take it you and the missus have both recovered well from your ops (IIRC you both had THR's?).
Thanks for your good wishes.
fausto.
P.S. The Occy health chap was impressed that Mrs.C had been cycling up to two days before the op and was asking about our bikes.
It turns out he's a keen tourer and is the proud owner of a Surly Long Haul.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fausto copy wrote:She had the op 3 days ago but the surgeon has stated that when inserting the prosthesis, her femur cracked slightly.
We were aware that this was risk, but weren't expecting is as her tests revealed she doesn't have osteoporosis and is strong and healthy.
He stated that he has wired the femur to strengthen it and it will heal naturally.

The only real downer is that she must not put any weight on the affected leg for 6 weeks.
She was hoping to be discharged from hospital yesterday (on sticks) but it looks like it will be a few more days yet, as they have to get her on crutches first and then train her to negotiate stairs.

Oh, bummer :( Stairs on crutches can be 'interesting' (from a knee op years ago when I had to use them for a while), but all the fitness prep will pay off - and make sure she does all the physio. Best wishes for her speedy recovery.
"42"
steviee

Post by steviee »

Hi everyone
I was a very keen cyclist covering 100+ miles per week up until 8 weeks ago when I was knocked off by a car.Straight to hospital and a total hip replacement the following day.
The trauma has been pretty bad and I am only just shuffling around with two crutches with still a bit of pain from the new hip.
I am due to see the consultant in 5 weeks time for a check up.
Thinking about getting a watt bike to try to speed up my recovery and if all goes well advance to a road bike.My existing bike is an S Works Venge which I don't think I will be able to ride because of the very aggressive frame and the 90 degree rule.
So,my question is any recommendations for a suitable bike that would get me back on the road that I would feel safe on.
I should add I am 67 years old.
Cheers
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

steviee wrote:Hi everyone
I was a very keen cyclist covering 100+ miles per week up until 8 weeks ago when I was knocked off by a car.Straight to hospital and a total hip replacement the following day.
The trauma has been pretty bad and I am only just shuffling around with two crutches with still a bit of pain from the new hip.
I am due to see the consultant in 5 weeks time for a check up.
Thinking about getting a watt bike to try to speed up my recovery and if all goes well advance to a road bike.My existing bike is an S Works Venge which I don't think I will be able to ride because of the very aggressive frame and the 90 degree rule.
So,my question is any recommendations for a suitable bike that would get me back on the road that I would feel safe on.
I should add I am 67 years old.
Cheers

Difficult to say. I had a (2nd) hip replacement last May but didn't rush back. Perhaps a bike with a
more upright riding position (not what you probably want to hear).
willcee

Post by willcee »

Sorry to hear of your traffic accident. that alone even you hadn't broken a hip bone would have left you in pain .. my chum and cycle bud fell in his own home from a step ladder and had a new hip the following day, he too was sore for some weeks.. i kept reminding him that as well as everything being sawn off and hammered in he had fallen a few feet onto a solid cement floor on a bony body..!!!! nor does one get up as quickly in advancing years, my physios told me to wait at least 5/6 weeks before any cycle activity, i did , but still had some discomfort, it does take time... don't rush it. as the previous contri says look at something with a wider perch and level the bars with the saddle.. you're 67 odd not 23.. and the last few years can either be sweet or sour .. up to you... will
willcee

Post by willcee »

2nd Hip replacement carried out on 20th Dec right in the mouth of the Holiday season.. but as the nurses over here were striking at that time it was cancelled once earlier that month and so I took what was available.. best time imo to recover is when the weather isn't cycling weather anyway!! to my mind I was perhaps allowed home too early next day the 21st, I did want home but suffered more pain than last time and perhaps did too much with the physios that morning to prove I was home compatible.. or so it seemed on reflection. 13 days later its a different matter, pain managed walking around the home without much aid, not yet happy with too much exercise, resting the swollen leg at every opportunity.. patience isn't one of my virtues, and a whole different scene when one is a carer as well..will
Mikesmusing

Post by Mikesmusing »

I’m 63 and had a THR on 17 December. Surgeon used the anterior minimally invasive procedure. So cutting from the front of the hip to do almost no damage to muscles or tendons. I was up walking the same day, very little pain, walking with a stick as a precaution the next day and discharged home. On day two I rode my bike on a turbo trainer with no resistance to check my range of motion. All fine but a little discomfort around the wound site. Started back on a gym bike after about a week and by week three was doing about 30 mins every other day on moderate resistance.
The whole procedure and recovery thus far has been much quicker and less painful than I’d expected. I’m now seeking information on how much exercise I can do as there seems to be conflicting advice being provided. The surgeon on a week 5 review said I should hold off cycling for 3-6months while the bone heals around the implant stem. But the physio said I could do whatever I felt was comfortable. I like the physio’s advice but the surgeon is a top chap at SWLEOC with an outstanding reputation. Hmm... Anyway, excellent service from the NHS and not a long wait once I’d seen the surgeon. Looking forward to some proper cycling soon. Not sure I can wait another 2 months though...
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

That sounds a remarkable recovery Mike and I hope yours settles down too Will.

Regarding Mrs.Copy (see above) she is now back on the bike, having done a couple of comfortable 10 to 15 mile rides initially and last week she did a normal Pembrokeshire hilly 25 miler (just rather slower).
She's completed her hospital physio sessions and has this morning attended the first of her twice-weekly, 16 week referral sessions at the local leisure centre. Obviously the bike equipment was really comfortable for her, so the treadmill is the one that appears to be the one to regain some good level of fitness, though she has been doing some gentle swimming too.
All in all, it seems to have been a positive outcome, just rather slower than we'd hoped.

As an aside, my left k-nee seems quite k-nackered (I'm blaming it on helping Mrs.C with her socks and shoes for 4 months :wink: ) and my doc has today referred me to physio for assessment. I've already self-referred for my hip pain, which occurs when I bend to fasten my shoelaces. :roll:

I'd never really understood the saying "age doesn't come alone" but certainly do now. :shock:
willcee

Post by willcee »

In my 7th week since THR.. started end of 5th week with a few mins pain free on several days on a static trainer, fixed wheel so was able to check both forward and backwards rotation. then during the 6th week a few short outings on a city bike maybe half a mile each time. no issues, then these past few days ventured out on my gravel machine E equipped first run approx 3.5 miles felt a bit of light strain at 12 oclock on the right hip during pedalling and yesterday 5.5 miles initially same feeling but soon disappeared and i felt comfortable again.. not pushing it yet ... last time, Oct '18 previous hip op, when getting remounted i was quite concerned about mounting dismounting and falling ...this time i never had those issues..Friends and loved ones say i am much better this time, personally i didn't think so.. only difference this time around was had I ceased the cigs 6 mths since and i wasn't knocked out during the op, just the spinal heard and talked with them right the way through.. nor am i suffering any weakness like last time after a few hours moving around... it does take time though for full strength to return...will
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Great news Will,glad to read you're recovering well :D
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

Thanks reohn2. 12 weeks today.. and yesterday had my first long ride of 2020 and had no issues over 30odd miles, that initial niggle i suffered last outing for a few mins had disppeared and legs and hips were working tbomk as normal .. thanks be to God and the surgeon, whom i have yet to see, his usual 5/6 week check up was messed up and i didn't get notice to attend, so reminded his secretary just this morning and she is on the case, i nearly called him last week as for about 5 days the pain over the scar area , while not hot or red or swollen was niggly like toothache, i rubbed it with various creams and it went as quickly as it appeared, i think it was the underlaying outer part of the muscle knitting at the skin area, i 'm no doc so would like his opinion on that.. otherwise glad to be feeling nearly normal again, but still cannot tie that right shoe yet.. will
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yer doing great Will :D
W H Auden
Thehairs1970

Return to cycling after hip replacement

Post by Thehairs1970 »

My wife is having a total hip replacement at the beginning of February. She is young, 50, and has good fitness. We are due to do a two week tour in the Outer Hebrides, camping, and are wondering about the realities of:
A) Being able to cycle
B) getting in and out and being comfortable in a small tent.

Can anyone shed. Any light on this?

Thanks
colin54

Re: Return to cycling after hip replacement

Post by colin54 »

The OP has another thread open on this subject, perhaps put any replies there ?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=143731
I've already linked to some previous forum threads on the subect there.
Nu-Fogey