Hip replacement and cycling

Si

Re: Hip replacement and cycling

Post by Si »

Topics merged
De Sisti

Re: Return to cycling after hip replacement

Post by De Sisti »

Thehairs1970 wrote:My wife is having a total hip replacement at the beginning of February. She is young, 50, and has good fitness. We are due to do a two week tour in the Outer Hebrides, camping, and are wondering about the realities of:
A) Being able to cycle
B) getting in and out and being comfortable in a small tent.

Can anyone shed. Any light on this?

Thanks

A chap who rides for Cheltenham CTC was back riding his bike two weeks after a hip replacement. He's an extremely strong rider.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Fascinating stuff, all my congratulations to one and all. One simple question, is a second hip replacement inevitable after the first. Two friends, one female and overweight with walking problems over several years, had a THR on the left hip then the repeat process on the right some 12 months later. Surgeon told her that it was inevitable as night follows day. Her subsequent recovery and walking gait are excellent. A second friend, a 6’6” basketball player, very fit and active upto the first replacement, recovered well but 9 months down the line, had to have the other hip replaced. Recovery slower but mind you he was 18 stone on a huge frame. So, from a potential TCR position on myself at 73, fit, regular cyclist, with pain after exercise, arthritis in hip, is the inevitable, ie., both hips will ultimately have to be done?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If you consider all of the people who ever need one replacement then it's nowhere near inevitable because that will include trauma, congenital abnormalities etc.

If you only consider people with osteoarthritis then some need two and some don't.

If you only consider people with osteoarthritis and similar symptoms and limitations on both sides then it's very likely.

The clinical assessment will routinely include this in the plan. As always I recommend writing down your questions before the consultation so that you don't forget anything.

Jonathan
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Point taken re questions. Thanks for the other prognoses!