Hip replacement and cycling

reohn2

Re: Hip replacement and cycling

Postby reohn2 » 7 Sep 2019, 1:18pm

Tell her to get well soon as men aren't good at housework and cooking :wink:

PS,now's yer opportunity to lose a few pounds :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 7 Sep 2019, 3:25pm

Au contraire, as a famous cockney would say.

The day before her op, we had a visit from an Occy Health chappy, who asked various questions.
When he asked who did most of the cooking, Mrs.C had to confess that she'd only cooked one meal in the last 8 days.
So, I won't be going hungry, although with all the household chores I'm now doing, as well as driving in and out of town twice a day to visit her (and building a path) I'm hoping to trim down a bit.

I take it you and the missus have both recovered well from your ops (IIRC you both had THR's?).
Thanks for your good wishes.
fausto.
P.S. The Occy health chap was impressed that Mrs.C had been cycling up to two days before the op and was asking about our bikes.
It turns out he's a keen tourer and is the proud owner of a Surly Long Haul.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 7 Sep 2019, 8:30pm

fausto copy wrote:She had the op 3 days ago but the surgeon has stated that when inserting the prosthesis, her femur cracked slightly.
We were aware that this was risk, but weren't expecting is as her tests revealed she doesn't have osteoporosis and is strong and healthy.
He stated that he has wired the femur to strengthen it and it will heal naturally.

The only real downer is that she must not put any weight on the affected leg for 6 weeks.
She was hoping to be discharged from hospital yesterday (on sticks) but it looks like it will be a few more days yet, as they have to get her on crutches first and then train her to negotiate stairs.

Oh, bummer :( Stairs on crutches can be 'interesting' (from a knee op years ago when I had to use them for a while), but all the fitness prep will pay off - and make sure she does all the physio. Best wishes for her speedy recovery.
"42"

steviee

Postby steviee » 17 Sep 2019, 3:33pm

Hi everyone
I was a very keen cyclist covering 100+ miles per week up until 8 weeks ago when I was knocked off by a car.Straight to hospital and a total hip replacement the following day.
The trauma has been pretty bad and I am only just shuffling around with two crutches with still a bit of pain from the new hip.
I am due to see the consultant in 5 weeks time for a check up.
Thinking about getting a watt bike to try to speed up my recovery and if all goes well advance to a road bike.My existing bike is an S Works Venge which I don't think I will be able to ride because of the very aggressive frame and the 90 degree rule.
So,my question is any recommendations for a suitable bike that would get me back on the road that I would feel safe on.
I should add I am 67 years old.
Cheers

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 17 Sep 2019, 3:57pm

steviee wrote:Hi everyone
I was a very keen cyclist covering 100+ miles per week up until 8 weeks ago when I was knocked off by a car.Straight to hospital and a total hip replacement the following day.
The trauma has been pretty bad and I am only just shuffling around with two crutches with still a bit of pain from the new hip.
I am due to see the consultant in 5 weeks time for a check up.
Thinking about getting a watt bike to try to speed up my recovery and if all goes well advance to a road bike.My existing bike is an S Works Venge which I don't think I will be able to ride because of the very aggressive frame and the 90 degree rule.
So,my question is any recommendations for a suitable bike that would get me back on the road that I would feel safe on.
I should add I am 67 years old.
Cheers

Difficult to say. I had a (2nd) hip replacement last May but didn't rush back. Perhaps a bike with a
more upright riding position (not what you probably want to hear).

willcee

Postby willcee » 17 Sep 2019, 6:12pm

Sorry to hear of your traffic accident. that alone even you hadn't broken a hip bone would have left you in pain .. my chum and cycle bud fell in his own home from a step ladder and had a new hip the following day, he too was sore for some weeks.. i kept reminding him that as well as everything being sawn off and hammered in he had fallen a few feet onto a solid cement floor on a bony body..!!!! nor does one get up as quickly in advancing years, my physios told me to wait at least 5/6 weeks before any cycle activity, i did , but still had some discomfort, it does take time... don't rush it. as the previous contri says look at something with a wider perch and level the bars with the saddle.. you're 67 odd not 23.. and the last few years can either be sweet or sour .. up to you... will