Nutrition Advice

DEV5

Nutrition Advice

Post by DEV5 »

Evening guys

Been on a bit of a personal journey since the end of March, got diagnosed with dangerously high blood pressure and was massively over weight so joined Slimming World & took up cycling to do some low impact exercise along side the diet. Started with small mile here, mile there, rides and have built it up to doing 10 mile most mornings before work and last weekend completed my first 50 mile ride and have lost 6 stone in weight

Now the problem i'm having on the longer rides i'm ok to about 30mile then i just feel like i'm running on empty, last Sat at 40 mile (ten mile from home so had to carry on) i got really light headed and had the shakes to the point where i had to stop for 15 mins to compose myself

Any of you guys good with nutrition advice, bearing in mind i'm on a diet what can i put in to get me through these rides without doing energy bars which go against the diet

Thank's in advance
gaz

Re: Nutrition Advice

Post by gaz »

Cycling nutrition article, somewhat "sports" focused rather than leisure riding. Might be a useful starting point.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Good effort with the weight loss so far. I am no nutritionist but I would say take some Jam or honey sarnies with you on the longer rides and possibly a few handfuls of raisins / dried fruit ( Tesco do 500gm size bags for about 85p). This should keep your energy levels up.

I feed the local birds (feathered variety) a mix of cheap peanut butter, dried fruit, lard and sunflower hearts all mixed up and they seem pretty full of energy.

Carry on enjoying your cycling and don't t starve yourself,

All the best, Simon
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

You're probably bonking (not as much fun as it sounds) on longer rides and this can be dangerous if not treated. The body only has limited storage capacity for glucose and the symptoms you describe are due to you running out of fuel. You may well be starting off with a half empty tank because of your diet. Best to relax the diet on longer rides.

Prevention is better than cure. A good breakfast, porridge perhaps, an hour or so before you start, and think about eating something on the ride,. No need to use energy gels, real food is fine. Also worth carrying something high in glucose (boiled sweets, chocolate bar, etc) to relieve the immediate symptoms if you do bonk. Also don't neglect hydration drink before you feel thirsty and a little and often.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Going from nothing to 50 miles in 4 months while dropping 6 stones is a considerable achievement. ...well done!
I know nothing about "slimming world" but I do know that "weight watchers" give you extra "points" for exercise. The diet is basically designed around a sedentary lifestyle, so if you choose to do some exercise, you can choose between eating extra grub or losing extra weight.
BUT......for a 50 mile ride, you need to eat something. I just eat ordinary food. Lots of people have porridge for breakfast, although I generally just have toast, and then something to eat before you're hungry.....a cheese and tomato sandwich after about 25 miles....or a coffee and scone at 15 miles, and a sandwich later.
This is how it works. You want your body to metabolise fat as energy source to lose weight. Your body can do that quickly enough for say a gentle stroll, but for the energy you use cycling, fat metabolism isn't quick enough, so unless you eat soon enough, you are going to bonk. Complex carbohydrates work well, without giving you a sugar spike or getting into strange diets.
Your body also needs to "get used to" running on fat metabolism. On a day you don't have to go to work, try maybe 5 miles before breakfast. If that works OK, try your usual 10 miles before breakfast.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I still have a slice of toast for breakfast before a ride.
I echo everything above, stop and eat after two hours and then carry on with ride, normal food is OK.
If I was doing a specific ride then I would eat after two hours or start (eating on the bike) after half an hour If I was cycling all day.
Over the last year I have weaned myself off eating anything in a training ride, which now is about 3.5 - 4 hrs long, no stops.
this is to train the body to use fat as a fuel, not to lose weight, its something which I would not advise a less than fit person to do and it does not bode well for staving off weakness and ill effects of sudden energy loss, drinking is important though, even though plain water means that your body's salt level drops if you don't use and electrolyte supplement in the drink.

Remember to eat and drink for recovery within half an hour of finishing exercise to get maximum benefits of recovery.
You have to train your muscles and your blood including supporting organs which in the early days will blend into one and just seems like all pain no gain.
In time there will be days when just your upper leg muscles hurt which means the other half of your fitness is good.
Well done good luck with it all and if it gets too much on a ride walk some way up the hill as it uses less energy and you will feel a little refreshed.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You'll notice a difference between NA and me.....I'm going out for a nice ride on my bike, and looking forward to a decent cup of coffee, or sitting somewhere nice to eat a sandwich brought from home..........

NA is "training" .....and there is nothing wrong with either approach. We both say that 3 or 4 hours riding without stopping is a bit hardcore.
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

Thanks for the replies guy's very much appreciated

Started planning for this mornings ride last night, bulked up on pasta so i had some carbs in me then had a bowl of porridge about half hour before setting off at 6am this morning

Took some flapjack and some mixed nut's with me, stopped every ten mile for a drink and something to eat which worked much better than the slog i did last weekend. Managed 51 mile today without getting the shakes
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Result!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That's good news, it seems like you're doing the right things, keep up the good work. Your weight loss is impressive, are you seeing similar positive indications with your BP?

Don't be too eager to achieve results and loose weight too quickly, If you were grossly overweight, 6 stone in 4-5 months is OK, and nonetheless impressive. Don't expect the rate of weight loss to continue at a similar rate as your weight comes down. So long as you're heading in the right direction that's fine. You might want to seek out a local cycling group to maintain motivation over the winter.
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

Norman H wrote:That's good news, it seems like you're doing the right things, keep up the good work. Your weight loss is impressive, are you seeing similar positive indications with your BP?

Don't be too eager to achieve results and loose weight too quickly, If you were grossly overweight, 6 stone in 4-5 months is OK, and nonetheless impressive. Don't expect the rate of weight loss to continue at a similar rate as your weight comes down. So long as you're heading in the right direction that's fine. You might want to seek out a local cycling group to maintain motivation over the winter.

Gone from 22 stone to 16 and feel much better for it, blood pressure was 213/122 was told by the Dr it wasn't if i had a stroke it was when i had one the BP was so high

Good news is the BP is now below the red zone and still dropping, gone from having to visit the doctor three times a week to monthly
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Inspirational story! You must be enormously encouraged to see such positive results. keep us informed.
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

Norman H wrote:Inspirational story! You must be enormously encouraged to see such positive results. keep us informed.

Its nice to be able to buy clothing from a normal shop rather than online, gone from a tight 44" waist to 36" :D

Just shows if you want change anything is possible
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

Before & After
Attachments
20429923_10207527185536929_2474155436468465887_n.jpg
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cycling seems to be the best way of using calories for me.

If it is of any interest (& even if it isn't :wink: ), yesterday (according my Garmin stats) I rode 68 miles (roughly half on the front of a tandem with a group to keep up with) with nearly 3000ft of climbing* & Garmin Connect reckons I used 3694 active calories/ 5565 total.

In contrast a 9.5 mile walk will only log me around 1100 active calories.

(*if you want more info - average speed for the day was 13.7mph, average heart rate 144/max 169, I'm aged 58 & I currently weigh around 12.5 stone. & the cafe stop at Tarporley Old Fire Station was very pleasant :D )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.