Advice on getting back to fitness...

chris3vic

Advice on getting back to fitness...

Post by chris3vic »

Hi all

Since starting a new job in March this year I've stopped cycling, got really unfit generally, and piled on about 2 stone. Yes, two bloody stone since March :x - it;s spiralled very quickly and unexpectedly.

My job is now city centre based with extremely good public transport links and it's a particularly nightmarish and unenjoyable cycle, so I kind of just stopped doing it, which I didn't appreciate how bad it would be for me and how much of a knock on effect it would have - I've not been considering what I eat for example, I've become immobile (desk job) and now get out of breath doing basic exercise, smoking has crept back which is just making things worse - just last week I went on a family hike with my wife and son to some waterfalls and after half an hour I was sweating and breathless.

Two years ago I was 12 stone, had just cycled my first century and was routinely doing 50-60 mile stints at weekend. About 6 years ago, even, I weighed 16.5 stone, so I'm heading in the wrong direction and I want to take immediate action.

My weekend commitments pretty much focus on my young son, so Sunday club rides are out of the question nowadays.

I'm just after a bit of advice on how best to get bike fit again, and hopefully drop these extra pounds to boot.

My thoughts at the minute are to ride to work (16 mile round trip) at least 3 times a week. Eat a small breakfast and a sensible lunch, cut out sugar, cut out weekday drinking, cut out smoking.

I'm not in a position to afford a gym membership, so the days I don't cycle I'll be heading out at lunch for a long walk.

I also want an incentive to aim for. I'm thinking of something like the Fred Whitton or a C2C challenge - two things I've always wanted to do.

What do you folks think? How best to regain fitness with such a hectic life? :lol:
whoof

Re: Advice on getting back to fitness...

Post by whoof »

Glad to hear that you are looking to get back to cycling.

I would advise that the first thing you do is stop smoking. It makes any physical activity that you do harder and eats money (you mentioned that you couldn't afford to go to the gym, you might if you stopped smoking).

In terms of time constraints, get a stop watch and in the next seven days record the total amount of time you spend watching TV and doing 'stuff' on the internet. You can then allocate some of this to exercising.

Doing things with your son at the weekends does not mean you can't be active. Cycle, swim, walk, play football with him.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I don't know how old your son is, but have you considered getting him into cycling?

I did that with my son. We started when he was about 5, just doing a 5 mile off road round trip with a cafe stop at half way. He gradually increased his distance. By 8, he could do 32 miles and was riding on the road. We would drive out to the edge of the countryside and ride from there, sticking to quiet country lanes, again with a cafe stop half way.

He still did other activities - football, gymnastics, athletics.

By 10, he was doing 50 mile rides, by 12 he was doing club rides and was getting too quick for me to keep up with him. He's 28 now, with a successful racing career behind him, but he still rides and loves the bike as much as ever.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Look up Horace Ashenfelter,the American winner of the 1952 Helsinki steeplechase,still going strong at 92.He worked 12hr shifts for the FBI,had a family,two young boys and could only train at night in a local park,using logs as barriers.He used to joke in interviews,"after all, there,s only 36hrs in a day".You get my drift;you make time if you really need to.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

on the ride side, have you got a HRM ?

In my view on rides to and from work stick in some short sharp HIIT where you can go for say 3 minutes without stopping etc. However the greater thing IMHO I have found is MAF training, which is training 80% of the time at 180-age HR level, so for me that is most of the time at 135 and under.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Perhaps sacrilege on a cycling forum, but here goes. Have you considered running on those days you are time pressured? Running is a much more time efficient activity than cycling if you're object is simply to get fit and lose weight. A half hour run is a decent work out, whereas half hour on a bike is just warming up. Also there's less faffing with equipment and clothing with running. Obviously running will do little or nothing for bike specific fitness.
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Thanks all for your replies, advice and good points.

Yeah my son is already "in to" cycling, as much as a 5 year old can be. We spend time out on the tag-along at weekends because he's not yet built up the confidence of cycling on his own - so usually it's a short jaunt around the park or through the woods - nothing strenuous but hopefully as he gets older that will change. Fit that around the usual morning swimming lessons, trampoline lessons and art & craft clubs and somewhere in there we do have a regular bike ride weather permitting

As an update I have joined a small fitness club which runs a lunch time spin class and is over the road from my office - it's £13 a month, which providing I stay motivated I will not grumble at that. It gives me something to do at lunch times so I won't be tempted to smoke and eat fast food from one of the millions of outlets on the road where i work.

Also I've cycled in to work every day this week 8) . I've mapped out a longer (12 miles), but much quieter route (without the busy A roads and junctions that even takes in a decent climb along the way) - getting back into it was extremely tough after the ease of the bus, but I reckon I'm getting the bug again.

I shouldn't be, but I am so shocked how one can lose fitness and motivation and gain weight in such a short time, even when it's surrounding something you really love!
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

david7591 wrote:Perhaps sacrilege on a cycling forum, but here goes. Have you considered running on those days you are time pressured? Running is a much more time efficient activity than cycling if you're object is simply to get fit and lose weight. A half hour run is a decent work out, whereas half hour on a bike is just warming up. Also there's less faffing with equipment and clothing with running. Obviously running will do little or nothing for bike specific fitness.

Yes I have, in fact a few years ago I would happily run 5k on a morning before work and actually enjoy it :shock: but nowhere near as much as putting some miles on the bike.

It's possibly something I'll pick back up between cycling.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I never stopped commuting to work by bike, even when the kids were small. If you can stick at that, i think its really all you need.
There is an inspirational account of one person's journey here...https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=116580
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

With a bit of organisation, you can fit cycling in at the weekend. Get up early and go out for a couple of hours. You'll be home by 9 o clock and can then do stuff with your family.

During the week, you may be able to fit the odd hour in here and there, even if you are not commuting by bike.

Also, try cycling to activities with your son. He can always stop pedalling on the tag along if he gets tired!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I sometimes go out for a spin after the kids are in bed. Also, I don't like using the turbo trainer, but it's bearable with a movie on, if I'm desparate enough for exercise and can't go out on the bike for some reason.

p.s. can you try some different routes to work? Thay can't all be horrendous? You can walk the worst bits? Maybe you are doing that from public transport, anyway?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Vorpal wrote:I sometimes go out for a spin after the kids are in bed. Also, I don't like using the turbo trainer, but it's bearable with a movie on, if I'm desparate enough for exercise and can't go out on the bike for some reason.

p.s. can you try some different routes to work? Thay can't all be horrendous? You can walk the worst bits? Maybe you are doing that from public transport, anyway?

Yeah I've found a pretty good road route that keep me off the dual carriageway and away from the so called cycle bypass which is actually a mud track through a dark wooded area. It makes a 12 mile cycle rather than the quick (7-8 miles) route and throws up a good hill too.

Going out after dark is probably a good idea, a couple of times a week.

Chris
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

chris3vic wrote: getting back into it was extremely tough after the ease of the bus, but I reckon I'm getting the bug again.

remember exercise acts like a drug on dopamine, and once you start it becomes easier to do more. You made the hard step by starting again !
mjr

Post by mjr »

chris3vic wrote:My weekend commitments pretty much focus on my young son, so Sunday club rides are out of the question nowadays.

While Sundays are traditional for HSBCUKBC clubs, other groups ride on other days. The CycleNation local group I ride with varies between Saturday and Sunday (with little pattern, as it depends on when the halfway stop is open and so on) with some shorter rides on some Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Local CTC rides on Thursdays (daytime so useless to me, but still not a Sunday). There's also various Friday Night Ride groups around the country, not all of which are called FNR.

Other than that, you've plenty of great tips above. Keep on rolling and build it back up - and if you can include your son in some cycling and he's willing, I think it could be the best thing you ever do for his long-term health. I may be one of the few of my generation to be introduced to/supported in everyday cycling by parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents who still rode to some extent. I had some later disagreements with my father but I would thank him deeply for this if he was still around.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

Have you considered park and pedal.
If the route is too long and not very nice, then you can park up at some intermediate stop and pedal a better route.
If the destination is city centre, then it will probably be a similar time to driving all the way.
May even save a bit of money as parking centrally can be dear and less fuel burnt.
May need a fast bike rack.
Can I recommend https://auxtail.com