Cycling diet for Low Cholesterol & No statins

Ed30ste

Cycling diet for Low Cholesterol & No statins

Post by Ed30ste »

Hi I am a fairly fit 42 yr old male 5,9 11 ish and below stone 18 months ago I had a funny turn which was first diagnosed has a Tia but later a I nocuar migraine. My cholesterol was quite high and I was over weight at 12st 9 after cycling and eating quite healthy I got my cholesterol down from 7+ to 4.7 without statins. I have been doing 25 mile rides wih a brisk pace and some big hills living around saddleworth. I want to increase my mileage to 40+ miles what would be good fuel for me without effecting my cholesterol I am a total novice any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Ste
softlips

Re: Cycling diet for Low Cholesterol & No statins

Post by softlips »

Well done.

To be honest the weight loss and excercise will have had a larger impact on your cholesterol than the change in diet. The impact of diet on cholesterol while there is small.

The changes you've made to your life would indicate to me you're not consideringhaving a doner kebab every ride. You can ride an hour to an hour and half without taking in fuel. After this time (and this is where you'll be now) you do need to refuel. There is a good section on diet on British Cyclings website among others.
Ed30ste

Post by Ed30ste »

Thanks softlips I will have a look.
Ste
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ed30ste wrote:I want to increase my mileage to 40+ miles what would be good fuel for me without effecting my cholesterol

I'd say slow-burn unrefined carbohydrates (oats for breakfast, then dried fruit bars and so on) and a little fat, but both only as fast as you're using the energy up - and eat as much protein little and often as you can bear... but I'm probably going to get corrected by someone ;-)

Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician for real advice.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

The simple thing I will say as I said on the Statins thread but do not believe the rubbish the medical industry spouts about cholesterol.

do you know what your Trig's, Blood sugar and Insulin readings were ?