Shattered!!

Bruce0286

Shattered!!

Post by Bruce0286 »

So, after over ten years off a bike and buying one yesterday I got back in the saddle for the first time! As is always the case with me I complete disregarded all advice and went to Halfords and picked up one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

I know this will upset a few people on here as I know Halfords can be quite divisive but for my price point it seemed to be the most kit for the price...

Good News: I stayed upright.

Bad News: I managed a whole mile before being absolutely shattered!! I mean jelly legs and panting for breath!! That has made me realise just how unfit I am! I think my main problem is pacing myself, it always has been (insert witty remarks here [emoji4]). And living on a hilly estate certainly didn't help, nor did the group of teenagers playing games on their phone whilst cycling by me hands free ...and me not being outdone peddling as furiously as I could just to keep up with these guys who might as well have been in a recliner. So I think a nice gentle slow ride is the answer.

Also any advice on getting back into it and keeping motivation from someone who felt as unfit as me at the start are welcome [emoji4].

Oh...and I've unticked the Tapatalk signature as I don't feel I deserved the term "trendy".
Last edited by Bruce0286 on 24 Aug 2017, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Re: Shattered!!

Post by NUKe »

Nothing wrong with the bike, you just need to take it easy build up slowly, use a low gear . You don't tell us about your age or health. If in doubt consult your doctor before strenuous exercise. Above all keep going little and often you will soon see results.
Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure as the is can make areal difference.
NUKe

Post by Bruce0286 »

Thanks Nuke...I've got my tyres at 35psi but thinking with being on the chunkier side it might be worth putting an extra 5 psi in them. Is there an easy way to determine the optimum pressure?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Bruce0286 wrote:Thanks Nuke...I've got my tyres at 35psi but thinking with being on the chunkier side it might be worth putting an extra 5 psi in them. Is there an easy way to determine the optimum pressure?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

Just 35 ? thats almost flat especially with mountain bike tyres, I would go up at least 25-30 and try that.

As for type of bike, my first one was a 100 halfords one and now have some great ones, we all have to start somewhere and welcome to the wonderful world of cycling !
Bruce0286

Post by Bruce0286 »

Thanks Ianrobo, maybe I'll manage two miles tomorrow with the extra pressure in [emoji23][emoji23].

NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
60 psi!

Set a goal of say ten miles, doesn't matter how long it takes.

Once you have done that............you will know what to do next.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bruce0286

Post by Bruce0286 »

Thanks everyone...slow and steady wins the race...I'll get my pressures up and go for a long ride! [emoji4]

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe your saddle is too low, as well? That can make you do lots of work that you don't need to.

Another forum member has this handy and easy bike set-up guide http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

Have a look at that and see if there are any improvements you can make.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bruce0286 wrote:So, after over ten years off a bike and buying one yesterday I got back in the saddle for the first time! As is always the case with me I complete disregarded all advice and went to Halfords and picked up one of these:

Good plan! As you said, you've first got to get cycling and you're got nice low gears to help you. The more you do, the more you'll know what you really want from a bike and you might go for something different (or not!). You're on the bike and that's the important thing. Good luck!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bruce0286

Post by Bruce0286 »

Thanks guys, adjusted the saddle height and inflated the tyres to 60 and things were much, much better! Managed a much more substantial ride yesterday and felt well at the end of it instead of ready to collapse!

Noob fail!

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bruce0286 wrote:Thanks guys, adjusted the saddle height and inflated the tyres to 60 and things were much, much better! Managed a much more substantial ride yesterday and felt well at the end of it instead of ready to collapse!

result! :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom