Cycling - it's possible effects on Prostatitis and Varicoceles

oldmelv42

Cycling - it's possible effects on Prostatitis and Varicoceles

Post by oldmelv42 »

Dear Forum users

I'm someone who has been a reasonably fit regular cyclist since the age of 16. Now in my early sixties and up until recently frequently commuting to work and cycling a modest mileage for pleasure.

I have been recently diagnosed with a "mild" case of Varicoceles** (which now sadly presents as more pronounced) as well as showing mixed symptoms of prostatitis... Both of these can cause considerable discomfort and distress on a day-to-day basis.

Whilst currently taking a break from cycling and the possibility of untoward pereneal pressure or uncomfortable contact of my tackle and the saddle, I would like to be able to resume in the near future if my GP and Urologist allow such aspirations...

Are there any of you gentlemen out there who have first or second hand experiences of either or both of these conditions (including the procedure of Varicoceles embolisation) and are willing to share them please?

My options would appear to be:

To abandon the Brooks B17 and seek another design of saddle such as the Selle SMP TRK as a starting point...

Abandon my traditional touring and MTB bikes and try a two or three wheeled recumbent (this may aid the circulation issues associated with this condition** by putting the legs higher and relieving pressure points - though not without introducing some challenges in my hilly and semi-trail commute)...

Or stop cycling all together - which would really break my heart...

I would appreciate opinions and/or links which might prove helpful.

Thank you for reading this!

References:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Prostatiti ... ction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Testicular ... ction.aspx

http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resou ... sation.pdf
geomannie

Re: Cycling - it's possible effects on Prostatitis and Varicoceles

Post by geomannie »

Hi oldmelv42

I can't answer exactly but I do have an enlarged prostate and am a similar age to you. Long story short is that over the years I found my Brooks saddles less and less comfortable and causing some serious numbness issues. I switched to a Selle SMP about 5 years ago and it was a revelation- no numbness. The fit feels slightly strange at first but the lack of pressure where it matters is very welcome. I have since recommended the saddle to a riding mate who has had prostate cancer surgery and he swears it is the best saddle he has ridden since. He has fitted versions of it to all his bikes.

I am sorry of this is not an answer to your specific question but I would say give the Selle SMP a try. I use the basic model http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sell ... rd|72035UK and its absolutely fine for me.

Cheers
geomannie
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

You have a number of options,
1. Noseless saddle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ism-pl-11/?lang ... 60753750uk
This is just one variant you can find lots more.
2. Brooks imperial may also suit.
You can modify your current Brooks there are several out there that have done just that.
3. Recumbent bike.
Drastic but there is no pressure on the undercarriage.

There are other saddles which may suit and it may take a number of purchases before You might need deep pockets.
NUKe

Post by oldmelv42 »

Thanks gentlemen so much!

Of interest indeed - I'm hoping for a variety of wisdom on this especially as the forum community here has useful voices of a variety of experiences and of course there may also be others out there who may benefit from this shared knowledge.

Any more input welcomed!

Cheers

oldmelv42
crs1953

Post by crs1953 »

To be fair, I have never personally heard of, or researched the possibility of a connection between cycling and Prostatitis so I must 'bone up' on it. Prostate enlargement occurs in most males over time. The fortunate few never experience symptoms. The decline from a normal flow to a trickle occurs so insidiously that most men don't pay attention to it. I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate in 2011 when one day I ceased to be able to pass urine and wound up in A&E being catheterised and drained of 1.5 ltrs !! It was excruciating. To cut a long story short I was managed thereafter on a daily tablet of Tamsulosin and I resisted the suggestion that I undergo a surgical procedure called TURPS as one of the possible side effects was impotence. In 2014 my consultant told me that unless the procedure was carried out, there was a likelihood that I would suffer serious bladder problems further down the road. I reluctantly agreed and underwent the procedure. I was in hospital for 3 days but happily I can report that I returned to 'full working order in all departments'
I would urge any sufferers to have this procedure done as it is considered the 'gold standard' according to the consultant I was under.
I would hate to think that cycling, which I love, was in any way a contributory factor in my case but I shall do a little research on the topic now

Colin
oldmelv42

Post by oldmelv42 »

Thanks Colin
This is very interesting... I have a friend who needed this procedure (not a cyclist but a rambler)... and my GP has mentioned it to me, although I am not quite at the stage to consider it at present.