PSA Test & Cycling

Psamathe

Re: PSA Test & Cycling

Post by Psamathe »

One question: I assume the PSA test involves having blood taken at GP surgery which is sent away and result returned at some point in the future. But then I wondered if it is something GP surgery can do itself (like e.g. cholesterol testing) and you get an on-the-spot result.

But wondered again because nurse takes the blood and I guess if it's high then a GP would be discussing the result (as it would probably worry a lot of people, myself included).

Ian
crossy

Post by crossy »

I've just had a psa test I had blood taken at 9am Mon it was sent away to the hospital for checking the results was back Wed because I'm in the system I just ring up and get the results from the reception. So the test and results are done very quickly.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

crossy wrote:I've just had a psa test I had blood taken at 9am Mon it was sent away to the hospital for checking the results was back Wed because I'm in the system I just ring up and get the results from the reception. So the test and results are done very quickly.

Many thanks. I was beginning to think I should review online so I'd understand any numbers I'd be given. But if it's just blood collection I'll wait for a few days. I've found in the past, knowing about possibilities, standard practices, meaning of results, etc. means you can ask the right questions when the opportunity arrises rather than getting home and then wondering about all those things to should have asked but now can't. Several years ago I had a condition and underwent tests to establish exactly what type of <x> I had. Before being called in to my GP to be given the results (he refused to give them over the phone) I had notes on all possible results with associated questions. So when he said "you have a <y>" I turned to that page in my notebook and had all the questions I wanted answers to (and have never suffered the "I wonder what/about ..."). n.b. It was a rare condition without extensive discussions and info on the internet.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 11 Sep 2017, 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
crossy

Post by crossy »

The nurse who took the blood said if the hospital was quick it could be back the same day. The blood is picked up and the results are sent back by e mail.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

crossy wrote:The nurse who took the blood said if the hospital was quick it could be back the same day. The blood is picked up and the results are sent back by e mail.

My appointment is midday so I suspect blood unlikely to be collected and processed that quickly. And there is always the risk that my results might require a GP visit (as I just edited above), in the past my GP has insisted on giving me certain results face to face, he was not even prepared to discuss them over the phone (and that's a 3 week wait)!

Ian
crossy

Post by crossy »

Good idea about writing the questions down with my memory I should write the Drs answers down as well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

crossy wrote:Good idea about writing the questions down with my memory I should write the Drs answers down as well.

Yup, I did that as well. Worrying things can get more worrying when you have uncertainty.

Ian
crossy

Post by crossy »

I have a recumbent trike and I don't use an upright bike for a couple of weeks before the test I use the recumbent. I don't know if it makes any difference but like you in the off chance it does make a difference why not take it. If the psa is high it can't be blamed on a bike saddle. Mine is naturally high I was sent for the tests finger, biopsy and the last one an Mir scan they've now put me on yearly tests if it goes too high they'll get me back in.
0190cycle4

Post by 0190cycle4 »

I was given the advice to take a few days off cycling before my 6 monthly tests after my first biopsy came back negetive on my next 6 monthly test it was very slightly higher but my consultant said it's not enough to trigger another biopsy I told him I'm disappointed that's it's higher as I've laid off cycling for several days, he then said in that case I think we'll have you in for another biopsy which resulting that they had found Cancer.

Although being very upset at this news I was glad I had mentioned the fact that I had laid off cycling and that is what changed the consultants mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

crossy wrote:Good idea about writing the questions down with my memory I should write the Drs answers down as well.

I think there's a lot to be said for having somebody with you because if your mind is in a state, you may miss quite a lot of what was said or not appreciate the significance of supplementary comments apart from the big issue. I'm not suggesting it's easy, because somebody close to you might be no more able to concentrate than you can. My wife's late sister was diagnosed with advanced cancer a couple of years ago. She was single so we were with her when she got the in-depth diagnosis. I picked up on quite a bit that both of them missed because of the stress. Also, I don't think that euphemisms and circumlocutions help much: I think most people want to know exactly what's what, even if they have had strong suspicions for some time and have avoided the medics.

Good luck to everybody who has mentioned their own circumstances above.
crossy

Post by crossy »

The wife usually comes in with me as I forget to tell her every thing that is said that way she gets to hear first hand.
RichK

Post by RichK »

crossy wrote:The wife usually comes in with me as I forget to tell her every thing that is said that way she gets to hear first hand.

That's a very good idea. My wife picked up & remembered a lot of things that were said that I didn't when I went through this a couple of years back.

The PSA test is only indicative, a biopsy (or even MRI) will be used if further testing is thought to be warranted. FWIW I was never told to not cycle before a PSA test (so didn't) but it can raise the score. I was told to not cycle after my biopsy.

I hope it turns out OK for you. If you need further information Prostate Cancer UK & MacMillan were a goldmine of information for me (especially the former).

https://prostatecanceruk.org/

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RichK wrote:.....
I hope it turns out OK for you. If you need further information Prostate Cancer UK & MacMillan were a goldmine of information for me (especially the former). .....

Got the all clear (based on DRE and PSA score) so I guess any more peeing blood and I'll contact Highways and try and persuade them to fix a few potholes!

Ian
RichK

Post by RichK »

Psamathe wrote:
RichK wrote:.....
I hope it turns out OK for you. If you need further information Prostate Cancer UK & MacMillan were a goldmine of information for me (especially the former). .....

Got the all clear (based on DRE and PSA score) so I guess any more peeing blood and I'll contact Highways and try and persuade them to fix a few potholes!

Ian

That's good :)
crossy

Post by crossy »

Good :D