PSA Test & Cycling

Psamathe

PSA Test & Cycling

Post by Psamathe »

I apparently need a PSA test (GP has told me to have one) and they said they I need to give up cycling for 2 weeks before the test (as well as other things). As far as the cycling, online sources seem to suggest my GP is being a bit over cautions.

And I don't want to give up cycling for 2 weeks but I don't want the next step (consultant referral/biopsy) just because I kept cycling which elevated the result ...

Has anybody else had a PSA test and did they give up cycling for two weeks before the blood sample was taken ? (or were they given different instructions?).

Ian
softlips

Re: PSA Test & Cycling

Post by softlips »

If the test is following symptoms or an examination it may be prudent to follow your doctors advise. If it's being offered for screening then maybe not.

As you're probably aware the PSA test does give false positive results which can needlessly lead to further investigations and treatment. If it comes back raised, you could always cease cycling and repeat.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

For what its worth, I am a sample of 1, I have had several PSA tests and it has never been suggested to me that I cease cycling beforehand. The tests have been indicated because of possible prostate issues (not routine screening) and the doctor(s) are fully aware that I am a cyclist.
geomannie
Alport

Post by Alport »

I was told to avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours. The test result came back low. I think two weeks seems rather over cautious.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have had several for routine screening. Cycling or any other issues were never mentioned and they know I cycle regularly.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Quite a list of NOT what to do before a test ...
https://prostate.net/articles/what-not- ... psa-test/O
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

A had a PSA test last year after a number of similar aged colleagues where diagnosed with varying degrees of prostrate cancer ....
I explained my situation and when I mentioned cycling the consultant ( for it was he ! ) looked at me and said, "And what would that have to do with it ?" ......
I did say that there was a lot of discussion around PSA tests and cycling on a forum i took part in.

"Not by Consultants involved with Prostrate Cancer "

He's a cyclist ....

:roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:Quite a list of NOT what to do before a test ...
https://prostate.net/articles/what-not- ... psa-test/O

Interestingly though all their "Don'ts" are only 48 hrs before test.

Ian
Ray

Post by Ray »

I have yearly tests - not because I have untoward symptoms, but to track any trend upwards.

My doctors (knowing I ride a bike) have never suggested I need to lay off beforehand. Never, that is, until the last occasion, when a new doctor, being told about my cycling, said I should lay off for a fortnight; not only riding a bike, but also, I seem to remember, energetic sex (is there any other kind :wink: ). As it happened, an appointment for a test came up at short notice, and I went along having ridden 50 miles the day before. Can't remember about the sex, but am confident it wasn't that long! My test results came back just as low as they'd been on previous occasions.

OK, you can't extrapolate from a single case, but thought you might find it interesting to confirm that medics are not all in agreement.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ray wrote:....
My doctors (knowing I ride a bike) have never suggested I need to lay off beforehand. Never, that is, until the last occasion, when a new doctor, being told about my cycling, said I should lay off for a fortnight; not only riding a bike, but also, I seem to remember, energetic sex (is there any other kind :wink: ......

I wonder if there is new "guidance" or more recent training (the GP that told me this was a fairly newly qualified as a GP) that has not yet got through to the various web sites. My GP did also say no sex for 2 weeks before the test (as well as the cycling) but I only raised the cycling on the cycling forum.

For me this all started after I returned from a ride and was peeing blood (real Ribena concentrate, not a "might have been"); after "finger check" GP said all seemed fine but she'd discuss it with her colleagues and she called later to say to do the PSA test, just to be sure.

Ian
Ray

Post by Ray »

Just to clarify: the doctor was new to our practice (a locum, I believe), and not new to medicine. I've an idea he was a consultant, but I don't know in what branch of medicine.

However, yours is a reasonable question.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
John100

Post by John100 »

Psamathe wrote:
My doctors (knowing I ride a bike) have never suggested I need to lay off beforehand. Nver, that is, until the last occasion, when a new doctor, being told about my cycling, said I should lay off for a fortnight; not only riding a bike, but also, I seem to remember, energetic sex (is des any other kind :wink: ......

I wonder if there is new "guidance" or more recent training (the GP that told me this was a fairly newly qualified as a GP) that has not yet got through to the various web sites. My GP did also say no sex for 2 weeks before the 5f8

For me this all started after I returned from a ride and was peeing blood (real Ribena concentrate, not a "might have been"); after "finger check" GP said all seemed fine but she'd discuss it with her colleagues and she called later to say to do the PSA test, just to be sure.

Ian

With all due respect to your GP if you were peeing blood, your prostate may well be ok, but you need your bladder looking at - as well as the rest of your urinary system which is done by a combination of scanning and cystoscopy (a camera into your bladder).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

John100 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
My doctors (knowing I ride a bike) have never suggested I need to lay off beforehand. Nver, that is, until the last occasion, when a new doctor, being told about my cycling, said I should lay off for a fortnight; not only riding a bike, but also, I seem to remember, energetic sex (is des any other kind :wink: ......

I wonder if there is new "guidance" or more recent training (the GP that told me this was a fairly newly qualified as a GP) that has not yet got through to the various web sites. My GP did also say no sex for 2 weeks before the 5f8

Ian

With all due respect to your GP if you were peeing blood, your prostate may well be ok, but you need your bladder looking at - as well as the rest of your urinary system which is done by a combination of scanning and cystoscopy (a camera into your bladder).

Routine ultrasound for something else 6 months ago and they also checked the bladder then (no suspicions, just seems ultrasound people check nearby parts "whilst they are there").

Ian
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

I have a PSA test every 12 months and the Endocrinologist knows that I am a regular cyclist and has said nothing about not cycling or refraining from any other activity before the test. My readings have been a steady 1 to 1.1 and no difference whether I have cycled or not
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I decided to go along with the GP's request, mainly as I thought if the result came out high and I was sent to have the somewhat less pleasant next step then I'd probably be kicking myself for not refraining (assuming I got the ultimate "all clear").

I did extensively check online about what not do do before the test and most reliable sites (incl. NHS's own sites) said the abstinence before for 48 hrs.

Ian