Turbo trainer plan

djbs10

Turbo trainer plan

Post by djbs10 »

Hi all
I have recently got a turbo trainer and am struggling to get out on the roads at the moment so I wondered whether anyone has a plan to follow to get me fit on the trainer. I'm a newbie for cycling full stop and only do about 25 miles on a trip max.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-J320FN using hovercraft full of eels.
LollyKat

Re: Turbo trainer plan

Post by LollyKat »

Googling 'turbo training' throws up lots of hits. Here is an example which may be helpful: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/tr ... ning-36080
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Intense, will be easy to reach high effort, but hang on :)
Boring, listen to music etc.
Use a HRM so you know how hard you are working.
Use some fans and open windows.
Have a bottle on board.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Power meter is better.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

this is a very wide and broad subject isn't it and depends on type of trainer you have got.

For training plans you can get some very good ones on Trainer road (it is what I used) and if you can not afford a PM you get a virtual one with TR which works very well for consistent data.

Trainer road do charge but a small amount per month, Swift is OK if you want the feel of communal rides but nothing bets TR for plans etc.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got one of those tacx smart trainers but the cheaper one based on flow IIRC but with Bluetooth and I think ant+ to connect to a tablet / computer for swift/trainer road videos. It adjusts the resistance to approximate the route or plan on the app. It was less than £200 IIRC so a real bargain considering what you got.

Reality it's a pain to get working and I don't think it's worked with a video yet. Guess I'm not as techie as I used to be.

This winter I intend to use it properly and get it working right. Using trainer road because I read it's the better option.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

zwift is a bit of fun and marketing frankly, trainer road is the real thing and once you have a HRM and a speed/cadence sensor then you are all set to get fit over the winter !

I would say take it easy and look for a plan that starts off slow. too many go straight into intervals etc but you need to base your base fitness up. That means long boring sessions on the trainer which IMHO you would be better on the road for but it does work.