Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 1876
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby TrevA » 30 Oct 2017, 2:47pm

mercalia wrote:well I have ordered an Omron one in the end - spent more than I wanted but the real cheap Omron one only had a medium sizes arm band so would have needed to buy the wider one ( well some of us are not weedy weeklings )@£10+ so got the Omron Healthcare M3 one.

What I have been wondering if the best time to measure is just after you wake up?
though measuring after exercise would tell you how fit you are how quick your heart recovers?


I've recently been in hospital and was having my BP done every few hours. It does vary through the the day and night but I think you have to look for trends or abnormally high readings. My highest was 135/89 and lowest was 115/59. Both at rest but the lower one in the middle of the night.

We have an Omron M2 and it gives readings for me, in the range above, so I think it's fairly accurate.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4099
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby Tangled Metal » 30 Oct 2017, 7:39pm

I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

My understanding brachycardia is about 50bpm sort of levels not 60bpm.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3410
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby Paulatic » 30 Oct 2017, 8:40pm

Tangled Metal wrote:I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

My understanding brachycardia is about 50bpm sort of levels not 60bpm.

Yes you are right there. My HR just now is 47 so I know I can stand up no prob. It’s when it gets below 45 I get problems.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4099
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby Tangled Metal » 30 Oct 2017, 9:05pm

Paulatic wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

My understanding brachycardia is about 50bpm sort of levels not 60bpm.

Yes you are right there. My HR just now is 47 so I know I can stand up no prob. It’s when it gets below 45 I get problems.

Autocorrect changed meditation to medication. I've never taken anything to alter my HR. Even the time I got beta blockers for another condition I refused to take them.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9184
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 30 Oct 2017, 10:14pm

Hi,
Low HR is not so much a problem its low BP, diastolic less than 60 where oxygen to the brain could be impaired.
But low HR is most likely to give low BP hypotension.
Theres no treatment for low BP, just have to be aware of the symptoms.
You are more likely to live longer also.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ging-fall/
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

mercalia
Posts: 8809
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby mercalia » 31 Oct 2017, 10:12pm

so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9184
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 31 Oct 2017, 10:16pm

Hi,
mercalia wrote:so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?

Man up :)
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

mercalia
Posts: 8809
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby mercalia » 31 Oct 2017, 10:27pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mercalia wrote:so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?

Man up :)


well I think its some thing you have to get used to before you can take useful readings? Isnt there a better way of doing it these days?

my instinct is to stress my arms and grip

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4099
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Oct 2017, 10:34pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Low HR is not so much a problem its low BP, diastolic less than 60 where oxygen to the brain could be impaired.
But low HR is most likely to give low BP hypotension.
Theres no treatment for low BP, just have to be aware of the symptoms.
You are more likely to live longer also.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ging-fall/

I remember a programme in TV looking into low blood pressure. The gist of the piece was that due to the little research into low blood pressure the medical profession really didn't know how dangerous low BP is.

It was years ago and there was more and more research being published showing links between low BP and certain serious health conditions that are becoming more significant. I can't remember which but they're conditions that are rising up the risk rankings for health. IIRC alzheimers is one.

Put simply research is beginning to indicate low BP could end up being found out as being as high a risk to public health as high BP. The trouble is there's little treatment regimes for it. In some ways low BP is treated similar to low weight. All the money and focus is on overweight and high BP. One day underweight ppl and low BP ppl could become a health problem, perhaps

mercalia
Posts: 8809
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby mercalia » 1 Nov 2017, 3:35pm

I am wondering about sitting posture. being told to put feet uncrossed on the ground and back resting on the back of chair is not a relaxed postion for tall people in standard sized chairs? legs too long for that, which means a posture that is anything but relaxed? Doing it that way I seem to be getting high readings but when do it my way I get more normal readings

softlips
Posts: 356
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby softlips » 1 Nov 2017, 7:19pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Low HR is not so much a problem its low BP, diastolic less than 60 where oxygen to the brain could be impaired.
But low HR is most likely to give low BP hypotension.
Theres no treatment for low BP, just have to be aware of the symptoms.
You are more likely to live longer also.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ging-fall/


A low HR is also much more pro arrhythmic unfortunately.

mercalia
Posts: 8809
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby mercalia » 3 Nov 2017, 11:05am

How often should you test your blood pressure?

softlips
Posts: 356
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby softlips » 3 Nov 2017, 8:46pm

mercalia wrote:How often should you test your blood pressure?


Depends. If you suspect you have hypertension then take it 4-6 times per day for a couple of weeks. If average is high then you do have hypertension. Once normatensive you can just take it a couple of times a month. If your going for Wright loss to get off BP mets then again take it 4-6 times a day for a week while on the mess, then come off them and do the same for a couple of week (obviously under direction of your GP).

If your BP is noramal then just take it once a month or so.

mercalia
Posts: 8809
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby mercalia » 6 Nov 2017, 9:27pm

well I also picked up from Ebay one of those old fashioned stethoscope ones. Must say quite impressed by the build quality. I havent tried it yet. But I can also use the stethoscope to listen to me record player to set up for minimum noise :)

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4099
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Postby Tangled Metal » 13 Jan 2018, 11:52pm

Got a BP monitor and I'm slap bang in the middle of OK range. The only thing is the irregular heart beat symbol came up twice in three measures (each a couple of minutes apart).

Now the instructions say to see your doctor.

So what's that about? Do I go to the gp over it or just raise it next time I have to go in?