New commuter rest days!

robrichards

New commuter rest days!

Post by robrichards »

So I've just started after a very long time cycling to and from work. It's a 7 mile round trip which is not a lot I realise and I think it's getting easier as I slowly improve my fitness & start to lose weight.

My question is after 5 days my legs feel pretty tired as they're not used to it so I'm using the weekends as rest days. Is this sensible or should I do a small ride every day?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: New commuter rest days!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I always found that when training / commuting, a rest day or two are better, feeling tired all the time is some what depressing.
I did four in six days recently and felt ok doing alternate ride rest days.
If you are not feeling tired on day five you are not trying hard enough.
If you are tired after first day you need to get fitter.

To increase fitness faster consider doing a longer route to or from work and less days in the week.
In time you will feel the need to go on a weekend day blast for fun :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
robrichards

Post by robrichards »

Thanks for the reply. I'm just ensuring I get there in time at the moment, once I've got that down I've a feeling routes I can go including over a big hill, bit I'm saving that until I'm much fitter! Seem like a good idea to keep the two rest days for the moment then!
NATURAL ANKLING

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you are riding ever weekday, I don't think having a couple of non-cycling days at the weekend will affect the general improvement you can expect from your commuting. I think that if you eventually have a go at a longer leisure ride on one of your days off you will be pleasantly surprised how much benefit you have gained from the commuting. We are heading towards the Winter and you need to think about how you intend to tackle that because it's easy to get into the habit of taking more days off cycling when the weather's bad.

Above all, you are doing it. Keep it up! :D
PH

Post by PH »

Well done on the weight loss and it getting easier.
Do whatever it takes, if you feel the benefit from rest days then have them. Bear in mind rest days mean not stressing the muscle and giving it a chance to rebuild, not necessarily sitting with your feet up!
It getting easier comes from two things, acclimatisation and fitness. The more time you spend on the bike the easier it will become, even without much increase in fitness. If you want to improve fitness (there's no reason that has to be your goal) you do need to push beyond your comfort zone and then allow enough recovery. If it was me, I'd want a go at that big hill, maybe on a Friday ride home knowing the next day would be an easy one.
Good luck
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yep.................plan to enter a cycling event in the future, once you enter you have to commit :)

Always worked for me.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

My personal belief is that you should rest two days a week. So if you commute 5 days a week then the easy way to get fitter is to extend your commute ride bit by bit
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

cycleformylife wrote:So I've just started after a very long time cycling to and from work. It's a 7 mile round trip which is not a lot I realise and I think it's getting easier as I slowly improve my fitness & start to lose weight.

My question is after 5 days my legs feel pretty tired as they're not used to it so I'm using the weekends as rest days. Is this sensible or should I do a small ride every day?

Rest days are good.. Weekends make a natural break, take it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Must you cycle each day?

My commute ended up as 17miles each way, and I did that for maybe 10years. It was too much for me to ride five days a week because on the Friday, I was knackered. :oops:

Riding 17miles in, then doing a full active day's work, then riding 17miles home, is quite a feat ........... or it was for me here in Cornwall. Therefore, I made a point of cycling three or four days of the week, with a day off - I had the choice of train or driving, so cycling was not essential, just preferable.

Therefore, why not take a day off cycling mid week if you feel too tired?

I used to pick the weather: Monday if I could, then Tuesday, and then I had three days spare to fit another ride. Maybe Monday was too bad, so I'd let the train take the strain, or drive instead. I'd then have four days to fit the three days riding into.
Once or twice the weather was perfect for weeks on end, so I had the choice to do as I pleased. Five days was perfect but tiring. Four days was ok, and three days was adequate.
Mick F. Cornwall
robrichards

Post by robrichards »

Thanks for the replies. Cycling each day isn't absolutely essential, however it is key to saving money, getting fit and losing weight as well as my car needing a new cam belt which i cant afford!

Funny thing today I took it easy on the way in but got there quickly then had to get home quick and got home really quick (for me!). Hoping to get mudguards fitted tomorrow or at the weekend and pick up some more cycling clothes for winter (Aldi bargains!) and I'll just see how it goes! Think I'll take rest days as and when but try to ride as regularly as possible throughout winter so I appreciate spring and summer more!
softlips

Post by softlips »

Rest days are good. As you get fitter you'll find your commuting distance is nothing and I bet you'll want to cycle further at weekends.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I ride most days but I know that I'm lucky that I work flexitime so it's not terrible if my arrival time varies with conditions. Sometimes I want to be there quick and there are limits to how much the time flexes, but I think it's important not to leave myself so little time every day that I have to press hard every ride. Pootling can be almost as good as resting IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.