Benefit of STI

Audax67

Re: Benefit of STI

Post by Audax67 »

Been fond of STIs since 'way back. You try changing with downtube shifters without breaking rhythm when you're standing on the pedals.

Only drawbacks I've found:

- extracting the broken-off cable end from inside the $§%/ thing: merry hell. Own fault for neglecting to change cable earlier.

- after a cold night's riding, when hands that were sweating have become cold and sticky with salt, I have occasionally managed to detach the flesh from the nail simply through shifting a lot.

- My 1999 Shim 105 levers repose useless on a shelf because the hoods have gone all sticky and are no longer available. Warning: buy spares early, keep 'em in the dark. (Note: isopropyl alcohol apparently removes the stickiness, but the rubber can't be all that healthy after partial decomposition.)

- Ultegra 6800 uses nasty little leader tubes on the ends of the cable housings to avoid wear on the guide channels in the shifters. These tend to split after a while and make shifting more difficult. Replacing them entails stripping & rewinding the HB tape. Bad design. Oh yeah: they work best with PTFE-covered cables. LBS: "we only use those on top-of-the-range kit". Cheeky buggers.

Nonetheless I wouldn't have anything else.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

meic wrote:
and when you have the slightest prang it is likely that the STI will be damaged and will need to be replaced.

I havent come across that yet either for myself or the people I ride with.
Certainly in the tiny enough probability to not base any choices on.

I've off a come off a few times and pranged mine. Never suffered any damage apart from scuffed hoods. I thing the rubber hoods protect them to an extent. They will never be as silky smooth as DTs but they will do.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One of the crticisms leveled at sti is their cost? Well thats the inflated prices here in the UK. Not long ago I look at the prices ( of Claris ) in Roses in Germany and the prices were quite modest - about £60. In fact could get a complete front/rear/sti set up for less that £100 where as here it was I think £150+
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:One of the crticisms leveled at sti is their cost? Well thats the inflated prices here in the UK. Not long ago I look at the prices ( of Claris ) in Roses in Germany and the prices were quite modest - about £60. In fact could get a complete front/rear/sti set up for less that £100 where as here it was I think £150+

I agree some UK prices are crazy expensive compared to Europe
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I went into the STI world more than a year ago, and they were horrible.
It wasn't long, and I sold them.

Campag Ergos are very different indeed and very nice too, but my absolute favourite are DT shifters - even Dura Ace ones.

You can stuff your STIs where the sun doesn't shine.
Mick F. Cornwall
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

@mercalia - Claris STIs on Rose Bikes are £79 a pair (plus postage), which is cheaper than say Wiggle by some margin. However, they are still available even cheaper on UK ebay.

@MickF - I don't think anyone is forcing you to use STIs if you don't want to. It seems that many people other than you find them to be good. But, I don't see why that difference in opinion means that any bicycle equipment should be inserted into anyone's rear passage.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Annoying Twit wrote:@mercalia - Claris STIs on Rose Bikes are £79 a pair (plus postage), which is cheaper than say Wiggle by some margin. However, they are still available even cheaper on UK ebay.

@MickF - I don't think anyone is forcing you to use STIs if you don't want to. It seems that many people other than you find them to be good. But, I don't see why that difference in opinion means that any bicycle equipment should be inserted into anyone's rear passage.

well I last look at Rose more than a year ago then I think more like £65 for TRIPLES - The only cheap ones I seen ebay are for doubles ( at the front ) I had been intending to get a complete Claris system then as a standby incase my RSX failed but in the end didnt need to as I sourced a spare nos front RSX so I now have a complete RSX replacement system incl chainset :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I went into the STI world more than a year ago, and they were horrible.

Campag Ergos are very different indeed and very nice too, but my absolute favourite are DT shifters - even Dura Ace ones.

Thanks for you positive comments to the thread :?
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I must say that my STIs were Tiagra, and I've seen people with 105, and they seem absolutely fine, and much much much better than my Tiagra. They've put me off STIs generally.

When I'm riding Mercian, the buttons on the Ergos are starting to get on my nerves. They dig in my thumbs these days, and I have to keep altering my hand position. I'm so very used to riding the Moulton now with basic simple Tektro brake levers which are perfectly comfortable and unrestrictive.

When the Ergos on the Mercian give up the ghost, I'll be fitting Tektro levers and DT levers like on the Moulton.

It's just occurred to be that I could sell the Ergos whilst they are still fine. They're top quality Campag Chorus and will do triple or double.
mmmmmmm - I'll give this some thought. They must be worth a packet.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mick F wrote:I went into the STI world more than a year ago, and they were horrible.

After years of using Campag, d/t and Ergo's, I converted to Shimano STI about 5 years and wouldn't go back. Even top of the range Campag are clunky, whereas STI are silky smooth. Plus you can go into any bike shop and buy a Shimano compatible rear wheel. Campag wheels are as rare as hens teeth.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How odd?
My Campag Ergos are silky smooth and were from brand new in 2006, and my STIs were clunky!

........... also, why buy a Campag wheel, or a Shimano one for that matter?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I must say that my STIs were Tiagra, and I've seen people with 105, and they seem absolutely fine, and much much much better than my Tiagra. They've put me off STIs generally.

I think it's been established that your Tiagra STI's or the cable rouring had a problem and that the rogue shifting was a result of one or other ofnthose problems.Many,many people use Shimano STI's without the problems you encountered and as such yours and Psamatha of this parish problems seem to be a rarety among STI users,I suspect you know that and as such youre in a very small minority on this issue.

When I'm riding Mercian, the buttons on the Ergos are starting to get on my nerves. They dig in my thumbs these days, and I have to keep altering my hand position. I'm so very used to riding the Moulton now with basic simple Tektro brake levers which are perfectly comfortable and unrestrictive.

When the Ergos on the Mercian give up the ghost, I'll be fitting Tektro levers and DT levers like on the Moulton.

It's just occurred to be that I could sell the Ergos whilst they are still fine. They're top quality Campag Chorus and will do triple or double.
mmmmmmm - I'll give this some thought. They must be worth a packet.

I have a spare pair of Kelly's that are yours if you want them for what I paid for them(£35 inc post), PM me if you're interested.
W H Auden
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Mick F wrote:How odd?
My Campag Ergos are silky smooth and were from brand new in 2006, and my STIs were clunky!

........... also, why buy a Campag wheel, or a Shimano one for that matter?

My Claris STIs are very clunky unless the whole drivetrain is well lubricated. Even then changes at the front need a lot of lever movement, but this is often mentioned in reviews and I think not common to groupsets further up the scale.

Although, I'm guessing that your drivetrain was well lubricated because ... you're Mick F.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote:You can stuff your STIs where the sun doesn't shine.

It would probably be easier than changing the rubber covers.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:I think it's been established that your Tiagra STI's or the cable rouring had a problem and that the rogue shifting was a result of one or other ofnthose problem.
No rogue shifting, and no issue with shifting at all.
They worked well.

Sift though my posts on the matter, but the issue I had was a double issue.
There was no rogue shifting at all. They worked well ............ as per the design

1. There was too much "paddle waggling". I couldn't shift more than three cogs one way, and only one the other way ............. if my memory servers me correctly.

2. The brake levers were difficult to reach. Yes, they worked fine, but there was too much of a stretch to pull effectively. I could not do a good stop from the hoods .......... unlike with an Ergo where you can reach easily and even do an emergency stop from the hoods ............. and I'm not talking of mechanical advantage, I talking of reach. I have big strong hands.

Having used Ergos for many many many years, and then tried Tiagra STIs, I know which ones I prefer.
May not suit everyone, but the STI world was horrible to me .................... in comparison the the Ergo world.

Have you tried both?
I seem to remember that you haven't.

Here's a composite photo.
Campag vs Tiagra.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall