Benefit of STI

Psamathe

Re: Benefit of STI

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:......
2. The brake levers were difficult to reach. Yes, they worked fine, but there was too much of a stretch to pull effectively. I could not do a good stop from the hoods .......... unlike with an Ergo where you can reach easily and even do an emergency stop from the hoods ............. and I'm not talking of mechanical advantage, I talking of reach. I have big strong hands.

Unsure if relevant but there is a little plastic insert thing for the STIs that adjust the lever position bringing it closer to the bars when somebody has a reach issue.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
It wasn't the reach per se, but the reach from the hoods to the levers. Not the reach to pull.
It was where the pivot point was. From what I remember, it was half an inch lower - maybe 10mm - from the tops of the hoods.
This meant that the stretch from the hoods to the lever was too far.

How someone with small hands gets on, I dread to think.
Maybe if they have always had it like that, they don't know the difference.

The Moulton now has Tektro levers, and they have the same geometry as Campag levers.

Sorry, I'm hijacking this thread. :oops:
I have spent many years with shifters on the brake levers, and TBH I've had enough of them. I intend to go back in time and use DT shifters and normal brake levers. Combining the two isn't what I want any more ............ Campag or Shimano.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think it's been established that your Tiagra STI's or the cable rouring had a problem and that the rogue shifting was a result of one or other ofnthose problem.
No rogue shifting, and no issue with shifting at all.
They worked well.

Sift though my posts on the matter, but the issue I had was a double issue.
There was no rogue shifting at all. They worked well ............ as per the design

1. There was too much "paddle waggling". I couldn't shift more than three cogs one way, and only one the other way ............. if my memory servers me correctly.

2. The brake levers were difficult to reach. Yes, they worked fine, but there was too much of a stretch to pull effectively. I could not do a good stop from the hoods .......... unlike with an Ergo where you can reach easily and even do an emergency stop from the hoods ............. and I'm not talking of mechanical advantage, I talking of reach. I have big strong hands.

Having used Ergos for many many many years, and then tried Tiagra STIs, I know which ones I prefer.
May not suit everyone, but the STI world was horrible to me .................... in comparison the the Ergo world.

Have you tried both?
I seem to remember that you haven't.

Here's a composite photo.Campag vs Tiagra.jpg

Look at how you have your levers position. The transition from bar to lever is flat with your Campag levers, whereas your STIs are stuck up in the air. No wonder you couldn't reach them.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think it's been established that your Tiagra STI's or the cable rouring had a problem and that the rogue shifting was a result of one or other ofnthose problem.
No rogue shifting, and no issue with shifting at all.
They worked well.

I do apologise Mick it ran in my head you'd hade the same problems as Psamathe

1. There was too much "paddle waggling". I couldn't shift more than three cogs one way, and only one the other way ............. if my memory servers me correctly.

Having used Ergos for many many many years, and then tried Tiagra STIs, I know which ones I prefer.
May not suit everyone, but the STI world was horrible to me .................... in comparison the the Ergo world.

Have you tried both?
I seem to remember that you haven't.

Here's a composite photo.Campag vs Tiagra.jpg

You're right I haven't tried both only tried Campag in a shop once,not ridden them.
That said,Ive never had the problems with them that you mention,I've always found STI's very ergonic and intuitive,the only problems as has been mentioned up thread by others,are when a cable breaks near the nipple,getting the old one out can be a faff,but Ive foundmpoking the old one out with the end of the new one works well enough.The other problem is operating them with thick winter gloves needs a bit practice.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's ok R2. :D

Sorry for the photo orientation.
As I said before, sift through my posts.
I was advised to move them this way and that, and I did.
No matter how they were seated, the issue of the distance from the hoods to the pivot still remained.
10mm further STI vs Ergo. I reckon it could be half an inch from top to pivot.

Nowt to do with where the levers are on the handlebars. It's the geometry of the STI, and I didn't like them despite having big strong hands.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have STI type levers on all my bikes, a mixture of Shimano and Microshift.
They are great, i have absolutely no problems using them, non at all.
Simply don't recognise the issues others have.
30 of the last 40 years riding have been with frame mounted levers, no issue with them either.
Made the transition from one to the other when they came fitted to my BTwin 500, instinctive and easy to use.
Currently have them on my TREK, SPA and BTwin.
Great bits of kit.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Audax67 wrote:You try changing with downtube shifters without breaking rhythm when you're standing on the pedals.

“I don't need to change gears while standing, nor do you, although one
might assume that from the promotional talk. Beyond that, it becomes
even more unnecessary when not racing, but then we are all top caliber
racers and never just ride bike judging from the "training" rides
people take (as though all others were races).”

—Jobst Brandt
meic

Post by meic »

Samuel D wrote:
Audax67 wrote:You try changing with downtube shifters without breaking rhythm when you're standing on the pedals.

“I don't need to change gears while standing, nor do you, although one
might assume that from the promotional talk. Beyond that, it becomes
even more unnecessary when not racing, but then we are all top caliber
racers and never just ride bike judging from the "training" rides
people take (as though all others were races).”

—Jobst Brandt

It is a benefit, not a need.
Rather like the way a Rohloff can change gear without you pedaling.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rarely stand on the pedals.

Out down in West Cornwall the other day, and I met up with another rider - he lived in St Ives.
We chatted as we rode, and he showed me a better route. On a few of the hills, he would climb out of the saddle and stand on the pedals - honking, they call it.

As he did it, he announced that it was to keep up the momentum.
I didn't honk. I just changed gear and stayed alongside him.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Yes Mick, but i like to get out of the saddle and "honk" now and again, it stretches the legs, brings other muscle groups into play and takes pressure of our bits for a while ....
I suppose the Cyclist cartoon was named "Honk" for the same way of riding...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

honkers break chains more frequently?
meic

Post by meic »

I dont know, but I bet it hurts more when they do.
Yma o Hyd
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mercalia wrote:honkers break chains more frequently?

Maybe. But that would only be because there is a fault with the chain. Some very strong riders on steep hill would probably cause the same result.
I enjoy standing up for a while now and then. I also quite often stand on the pedals while freewheeling. Nobody else just swerve from side to side on the odd empty wide road or path just for the fun?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:One of the crticisms leveled at sti is their cost? Well thats the inflated prices here in the UK. Not long ago I look at the prices ( of Claris ) in Roses in Germany and the prices were quite modest - about £60. In fact could get a complete front/rear/sti set up for less that £100 where as here it was I think £150+

Yeah, but compared to £30-40 for a set of nice drop brake-only levers and metal DT levers, £75+post (and out of stock just now) ain't that modest for grey if you're unconvinced that STI is better - that can get you a fancy vintage arty design if you can still find them as New Old Stock. The attempts to tie STIs to particular derailleurs are also a bit annoying.

bigjim wrote:I enjoy standing up for a while now and then. I also quite often stand on the pedals while freewheeling. Nobody else just swerve from side to side on the odd empty wide road or path just for the fun?

I swerve for fun but not pushing the pedals much. Standing while freewheeling also isn't risking your jewels on a chain fault. I don't really understand standing while pedalling unless it's all going wrong - I guess I'm more Cadel than Contador.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Never got the hang of standing while pedalling myself, always feels horribly inefficient and I can get more power in the saddle anyway.

I'd hate being without STIs or equivalents though, particularly on my commute. If I'm in traffic I'm not a fan of my hands being off the brakes for more than is required for signalling and I change gears quite a bit.

landsurfer wrote:I have STI type levers on all my bikes, a mixture of Shimano and Microshift.

I have the older style (though newer variant with the smaller lever throw) microshift R9 triples on my town bike, they're a bit cheap feeling but the control layout is probably my favourite, gears fully usable from both drops and hoods, they're excellent with thick gloves on and the lever geometry is good for smaller hands, especially braking from the hoods. And at £47 for the pair from aliexpress (probably a tax dodge there :oops: ) not expensive either. Only 2 years old currently but handled plenty of locked up in crowded town racks (inc winter rain/mizzle) and other dings fine so far.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop