Mileage recording on dumb turbo trainer

landsurfer

Mileage recording on dumb turbo trainer

Post by landsurfer »

I have a dumb turbo trainer.
I like riding in the conservatory when it's dark or the weathers horrible, listening to dance, GEP and hardcore music.
But.
I know how long I have been pedaling but not how far.
So a cheap rear wheel mounted basic mileage recorder is required.
That's actually available, so no Aldi or lidle specials please.
Suggestions. ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
whoof

Re: Mileage recording on dumb turbo trainer

Post by whoof »

If you already have a front mounted computer and only want to know how far you have ridden you can mount the computer on the back wheel with the computer attached to the seat stay and then look at it when you have finished.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I got an ANT+ speed sensor that connects to my garmin so it measures speed and distance that way when I use the turbo.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Attaching a front sensor to the rear downtube may be problematic. Even if you obtain replacement plastic ties, the 'diameter' of the piece of plastic that attaches to the fork would be the wrong diameter for the rear, and that may cause problems if the sensor is there all the time so that it's being jigged around when you hit bumps etc.

If I was you, I'd obtain an appropriately small spring-loaded clamp, superglue the sensor to an appropriate part of the handle of the clamp, wrap a piece of old innertube around the appropriate tube of the rear frame, and attach the sensor that way. It could then be removed when you take the bike off the turbo trainer to ride outside.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Fitted one up last year, no special adaptations and no problems. Other than actually getting on and pedalling the infernal device, of course.

Oh, I did put on a set of aerobars with a laptop holder zip-tied to it so that I could watch films on Netflix. Beware brow sweat in keyboard if you do the same.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

honesty wrote:I got an ANT+ speed sensor that connects to my garmin so it measures speed and distance that way when I use the turbo.
That's what I had once.
Latterly, I bought a wireless basic computer from Lidl for a few quid.

Even latterly, I stopped measuring it, knowing from experience that I was doing about 20mph, so worked I it out. It didn't matter enough to be accurate.

Half an hour is near as dammit 10miles.
Mick F. Cornwall